Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
We’ll see what DP has in mind.....I can live with plastic cups in FC for a year or two (DL did the same thing during Chapter 11), and other small things but if it goes as far as Delta I’m fine just staying home in the NY area and doing the Hamptons, Asbury Park and upstate when I need to get out.

Half the fun is getting there and I hope the airlines don’t ruin that factor for the sake of “safety”
Old May 28, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
We’ll see what DP has in mind.....I can live with plastic cups in FC for a year or two (DL did the same thing during Chapter 11), and other small things but if it goes as far as Delta I’m fine just staying home in the NY area and doing the Hamptons, Asbury Park and upstate when I need to get out.

Half the fun is getting there and I hope the airlines don’t ruin that factor for the sake of “safety”
I can live without a meal on flights of less than 3 hours, particularly given it's airline food. Now the booze is another thing (and the nuts). Airlines started upgrades years back to attract and reward higher spend loyal flyers and it's going to be hard to put this genie back in the bottle. Also, the more F gets pushed towards Y the more unlikely someone is going to spring (usually out of their own pocket) for an upfare or buy domestic F.
enviroian, hurnik, CLT and 5 others like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Mr Parker may plan on turning F into the new MCE or "Big Front Seat" like Spirit, but on the other hand he has changed his mind before. Speculation at this point. Best we could do is hope Delta restores its F service to pre-Covid standards which may force AA to copy.
cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:11 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Personally plastic cups don't bother me (well, they do from an environmental standpoint because I highly doubt they are being recycled but that's another story). Between 2004 and 2012 or so US never had actual glassware on Domestic First flights and I got by ok. Even when they were brought back, they only returned on Airbus meal flights. I usually drink wine when I fly and very rarely do I drink hard liquor in the air, so I made out because the plastic cups were larger than the actual wine glasses US used to have.

This is a controversial statement: but I would be okay if they went to the LUS standard of first class meal service which was full meals were only provided on flights longer than 3.5 hours. However, they would have the bring the catering quality back up to what it was pre-merger. Both LAA and LUS meal quality was quite good in F, IMHO. On shorter flights I would be happy with a snack basket on non-meal time flights and then on meal time flights, perhaps a fresh snack (fruit plate with warmed breads during breakfast hours, then a fruit/cheese or hummus plate during lunch/dinner hours) would be suffice on say flights longer than 2.5 hours that operated during meal times.

I am sure a lot of people would be up and arms over this though, and I understand why. I can't see AA making such a dramatic change unless DL/UA did the same. I personally fly paid F for the space, quieter atmosphere, and *chance* of warmer service from the FAs. The food service is just an added bonus.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Austin787
Best we could do is hope Delta restores its F service to pre-Covid standards which may force AA to copy.

How sad that we have to hope a competitor forces AA to do something to benefit their loyal flyers.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
How sad that we have to hope a competitor forces AA to do something to benefit their loyal flyers.
True, however that's no real change form the preceding 7 years.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was AA EXP for 8 years before I switched to DL (where I've been DM for nearly 18 months), most flts have been in FC, 25% between JFK and ZRH. The food has been mediocre IMHO, except once AA had a hot TURKEY REUBEN sandwich (best airplane meal ever) and the cheese fruit plates have been 2nd best.
In FC cheese fruit plates* should be easy and safe to distribute, since they normally are in sealed packages.
*Health-wise probably better than most hot dishes offered.
Old May 28, 2020, 4:18 pm

Flying PHX-DEN this afternoon. Got a battlefield upgrade. (The new app is nice with the waitlist and text notification!). On board, FA in FC stated no pre-departure beverage service, no food or beverage service in flight either! She did have a beverage cart though. This new normal is horrible!
Old May 28, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
SkyGuy, were you on today's (Memorial Day) DFW-EGE-XXXXXX-DFW flights? As referenced above, I had quite a different experience.
I was on it Sunday. The FA was stellar!

Sorry for the delayed reply.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
LUCKY! It shows that a FA can make all of the difference.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
<off-topic content removed by moderator>

Back on topic 2 flights yesterday. First one fantastic. Second one a bunch of us cleared into Row at the gate, including a pax in 1E. No service, no smile. The FA spent the flight looking at her phone. I was too tired to go through the drama of asking for water and it was a fairly short flight. Besides I wouldn't want to impede the FA from her important "safety duties."
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; May 29, 2020 at 1:19 pm Reason: Please stay on topic
Old May 29, 2020, 9:03 am

In light of some people's negative experiences lately I thought I would post a positive one.

AA401 LAX-ORD 5/25

Seated in economy, mostly full flight, several middles occupied. Greeted during boarding and offered a snack bag with pretzels, cookies and a full size Nestle bottle of water. Announcement made no beverage service will be done but if you need something let us know. After the seat belt sign went off I got up and asked for a can of Dr Pepper and the flight attendant happily provided one. The crew also did several trash pickups and overall seemed friendly.

Stark contrast to my SW flight a week before (MDW-LAX) where we were offered nothing during boarding and only "canned" water upon request in the air. MDW also only had two food establishments open with lines 15 people long, so there was little option to grab something quickly before boarding. Really pathetic airport and airline experience on that trip.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
5/27 ATL-PHL (E75): Soft drinks only in F, no ice, no food and no service at all in Y
5/27 PHL-RDU (CR7): Full bar service in F but again no ice. Great service on this flight.

Still no PDBs for me since March.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
First - a shout-out to the majority of posters who keep this thread on topic. We know it's easy to drift into broader discussion about AA and the current state of the world, so thank you!

Unfortunately, another swath of posts have been removed for being off-topic. Please discuss AA finances, social distancing,
epidemiology, and politics in the proper fora and threads. (I hate to be a broken record, but...: Members who continue to disrupt threads or go off-topic may have their posting privileges suspended or revoked permanently, per FT Rules.)
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
ONT-DFW today: 99% full flight (F was 15/16, with a FA occasionally using the bulkhead aisle), snack/water bag upon boarding, announcement that no food or beverages would be served. However, unlike DFW-ONT on Tuesday, those of us in F did get a beverage service once in the air. At least 1 person from Y came up to the F galley and left with a drink.
AANYC1981 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.