Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Great F FA today on PIT/PHL including PDBs. She came by and asked if I wanted another drink. I already had 5 minis in my bag from before where I didn't use them so I went to pull one out. FA said "oh I'm not suppose to see that because that's like you bringing on your own alcohol." I guess a big no no. We both laughed.
CMK10, brewdog11, brc757rr and 4 others like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I already had 5 minis in my bag

apeortdz and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
I guess my irritation is that at least delta is handing out a bottle of water. Just flew BHM to RDU with a connection through CLT and neither flight had water...at all.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
I guess my irritation is that at least delta is handing out a bottle of water. Just flew BHM to RDU with a connection through CLT and neither flight had water...at all.
I think AA has to be a minimum of 900+ miles to get the water and snack bag?

There are beverages on request if you ask though which is more than what DL is boarding on their planes.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Is it a no-no?

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Great F FA today on PIT/PHL including PDBs. She came by and asked if I wanted another drink. I already had 5 minis in my bag from before where I didn't use them so I went to pull one out. FA said "oh I'm not suppose to see that because that's like you bringing on your own alcohol." I guess a big no no. We both laughed.
Our family is flying from PHX - CMH via ORD and I just bought some minis to take on board since AA has discontinued service. Like bringing food on board these days, I think it should be OK to bring something to drink and would be irritated if it were a no-no. Still planning to do so, and will see what happens.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remedy
Our family is flying from PHX - CMH via ORD and I just bought some minis to take on board since AA has discontinued service. Like bringing food on board these days, I think it should be OK to bring something to drink and would be irritated if it were a no-no. Still planning to do so, and will see what happens.
Be discreet and don’t create a problem and you shouldn’t have any issues. Even before service was discontinued, this wasn’t a tough thing to do.
chrisny2 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:30 pm

i'm on my first first class flight this week PHL to DFW. i understand everyone gets a goodie bag and i normally dont even eat or drink on any of my other flights to DFW, but i do hate missing out on the service that will not be provided for my money. im normally not a boozer on a plane but tempted to get some of my money back in it if possible. is everything in those mini bottles and they give you a can of soda to mix ? what about beer?

i'm assuming you cannot ask for any food whatsoever after you are flying but wanted to confirm that.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by luckydriver
i'm on my first first class flight this week PHL to DFW. i understand everyone gets a goodie bag and i normally dont even eat or drink on any of my other flights to DFW, but i do hate missing out on the service that will not be provided for my money. im normally not a boozer on a plane but tempted to get some of my money back in it if possible. is everything in those mini bottles and they give you a can of soda to mix ? what about beer?

i'm assuming you cannot ask for any food whatsoever after you are flying but wanted to confirm that.
How the drinks are served and whether you can get drinks at all seems to be dependant on the crew. A few days ago, my double Woodford and sparkling Dasani was served to me pre-mixed in a plastic cup, with a plastic stirrer straw that had been individually wrapped. (Note that AA had previously discontinued plastic stirrers in favor of wood, but this individual wrapped plastic stirrer seems to be for sanitary reasons.) Other reports indicate no ice, or no service at all, so it will be a YMMV situation.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
PHL-MIA - no PDB but the excellent FA apologized that they had been busy helping storing bags - which the were.
Full bar service offered including ice, multiple rounds offered and very attentive service - flight was approx 80% full and 100% in First.
I had a very interesting seat companion- a pilot for UPS dead heading back to MIA. He is incredibly busy but did say the skies are very quiet.

I then connected onto MIA-LHR with one hour connection. Again flight very good with very attentive FA’s. Full bar service including ice. Menu provided. Dinner was all served on one tray. Food was very tasty - followed by a very comprehensive fruit plate and yogurt inc coffee and OJ for breakfast.
Overall considering the circumstances due to Covid19 an very good show from AA and especially the FA’s.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Really a sad excuse nuts in F are discontinued. They could easily replace the ramkin with a packet of mixed nuts but they won’t.

for the foreseeable future I see AA selling little to zero F seats. Why would anyone buy one with what they offer?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Really a sad excuse nuts in F are discontinued. They could easily replace the ramkin with a packet of mixed nuts but they won’t.

for the foreseeable future I see AA selling little to zero F seats. Why would anyone buy one with what they offer?
There would be people who still would like to pay First for extra baggage allowance, free alcohol, priority check-in, or just for the recliner seat, extra legroom, etc...
Old May 31, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Really a sad excuse nuts in F are discontinued. They could easily replace the ramkin with a packet of mixed nuts continue all normal service but they won’t.
Fixed it for ya
Old May 31, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Where was it announced that nuts are going away?
Old May 31, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
They served nuts during no-nut November, so they should be able to continue to do so now.
MorganB and jhalapin like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
They served nuts during no-nut November, so they should be able to continue to do so now.
Whoa. I hadn't heard of that, so I googled it. Wish I hadn't.
apeortdz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.