Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
True, but AA can't even deliver artisan bread in long-haul F
I’m sure that wouldn’t stop AA from marketing it as such. Sort of how every disgusting well liquor has the word ‘premium’ on the label.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
I’m sure that wouldn’t stop AA from marketing it as such. Sort of how every disgusting well liquor has the word ‘premium’ on the label.
What I actually find to be completely unacceptable is that the pictures that AA published of the new meal service doesn't actually match what is being served at all but then again, DL and UA have set the bar so low, that AA probably knows they don't have to try harder on short flights.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
The point is that you shouldn't have to ask, beg, or plead for service in a premium cabin.
In normal times yes, but post-COVID there are many passengers who are equally happy with fewer touchpoints and service. This is a tough balance for everyone (passengers, frontline, management) to strike. I wouldn't characterize "Excuse me, when you have a chance may I please have some..." while the F/As are walking through the aisles as particularly burdensome or "begging / pleading."

As for me, I am very happy AA still offers a full complement of beverage options that I can ask for, if need be, and that I am almost guaranteed a First Class upgrade on fares of as little as $45 for the 2-3 hour flights out of NYC I've been taking.
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
First set of non-transcon flights since early March, all in F:

LGA-CLT (A319) - beverages and multiple refills proactively offered (with sanitizing wipes on the side)
CLT-CHS (AE CRJ 900) - beverages happily offered upon request (sanitizing wipes handed out upon boarding)

CHS-CLT (AE CRJ 900) - beverages happily offered upon request (sanitizing wipes handed out upon boarding)
CLT-LGA (A319) - told that no alcohol catered on flights under 900 miles, and offered water instead. FA was super friendly though and returning from 6-month leave, so perhaps not up to speed? Chose not to press the issue.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: Many
Flew American SFO - LAX (Nothing offered other than hand sanitizing wipes).
Old Oct 4, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by daron4000
In normal times yes, but post-COVID there are many passengers who are equally happy with fewer touchpoints and service. This is a tough balance for everyone (passengers, frontline, management) to strike.
Those passengers can simply respond "No, thank you" when asked.

I've done that plenty of times when I didn't want anything and it takes a lot less effort than trying to flag down a FA for service.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsftm
Flew American SFO - LAX (Nothing offered other than hand sanitizing wipes).
Same here. Flew SFO LAX several times last month, all in F, and wasn't offered anything, not even water,
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I received pistachios on a recent flight to Cancun from JFK provided as passengers were boarding. Never seen that before.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by donotblink
I received pistachios on a recent flight to Cancun from JFK provided as passengers were boarding. Never seen that before.
As usual, FAs just make up what they want (although sometimes it can make the pax experience better). Hoping that now the sad furlough of so many means that those that remain follow the rules or work hard to improve the experience of passengers. These FAs stayed on thanks to taxpayer/passenger dollars so I expect a top-notch experience. Somehow, I feel like we'll be disappointed though.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Same here. Flew SFO LAX several times last month, all in F, and wasn't offered anything, not even water,
Did you ask?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Reserve a meal on TATL J

Hi,
flying JFK-LHR in a few days.
i am trying to reserve a special meal but it fails to save (app and website).
any workaround?

"error message"

Last edited by zip10001; Oct 5, 2020 at 5:44 pm
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
Did you ask?
Sure did and they still said no, but don't worry, I wrote them up
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Sure did and they still said no, but don't worry, I wrote them up
Were your LAX-SFO flights on AA mainline or Eagle?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Were your LAX-SFO flights on AA mainline or Eagle?
I believe it’s mostly if not all Eagle these days. Mostly CR7 (by Skyworst) from what I saw.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
I believe it’s mostly if not all Eagle these days. Mostly CR7 (by Skyworst) from what I saw.
Yes as it seems all flights are coded as AA3xxx so this means that the OP most likely has flown Skywest.
Post-COVID, the only AA Eagle flight that I have flown on was onboard PSA and I got a cup of water upon request back in the Main Cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.