Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by HiAperture
So I realize I am probably a day early, but hopefully with the re-opening of Hawaii tourism tomorrow it won't take long to get an answer. I know DFW-HNL is getting a reasonably "normal" level of service in F, but how about the narrowbody service out of PHX-HNL? From my reading of the website I would assume they are getting meals and even bedding, however on a sample booking for next month it just says "refreshments," same as any other narrowbody domestic First flight lately. AA isn't really sending a plane to Hawaii for 7 hours with just a cheese plate are they?
are you getting your covid test at DFW pre-departure?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Interesting and good to note. If I boarded expecting lunch and got a breakfast menu, I'd probably be pretty disappointed until the FA confirmed it was actually lunch.
I do these flights so often that it isn't a big deal to me whether we get breakfast or lunch, but the non-revs on my last flight almost had a fit when they saw the breakfast menu until the purser told them lunch had been catered. Beggars shouldn't whine so much but leave it to AA staff...
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by enviroian
are you getting your covid test at DFW pre-departure?
If I go I am planning to get it done through Kaiser Permanente within the 72 hr window, since it is free for their members and an approved testing center by Hawaii.

The option to have it done (for $$$) through the airline at DFW is a good one to take out the possible anxiety of waiting for late test results to arrive.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HiAperture
If I go I am planning to get it done through Kaiser Permanente within the 72 hr window, since it is free for their members and an approved testing center by Hawaii.

The option to have it done (for $$$) through the airline at DFW is a good one to take out the possible anxiety of waiting for late test results to arrive.
In Florida, many urgent care clinics are doing Covid tests for $199 and on weekends there is almost no wait
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Somehow, I don’t think it’ll actually make it onto the plane looking like that. But if it does I’d be pretty pleased, at least on shorter flights.
Just had the Valencia Chicken Sandwich for the first time and thought it wasn’t bad at all, although a bit bland for my taste. Still thought it was an upgrade over the turkey sandwich.

Didn't look exactly like the picture as expected. There wasn’t as much chicken as suggested in the photo.

It came pre-cut in two pieces. Also came with a packet of mayonnaise & a decent sized chocolate chip cookie.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by merlin90
I see no such option, unfortunately. Maybe I'll give them a call.
Yes. If you have Twitter, past users have had success sending a DM to @AmericanAir for a list of menu options and pre-ordering a meal when the website doesn't work.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Indeed, the option would be either the fruit/cheese plate or a breakfast box.
The image for the breakfast box could be found in the trip report below on another website.
The report with the pictures says "Sandwich or Granola". Hoping for a sandwich, lol.
dpb132 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
JonNYC on Twitter guiding that Main Cabin beverage service slated to resume on 11/4 or 11/11 dependent on FAs and Coca Cola supplies. Assume from the latter it means alcohol still off the table.
hockeystl and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Just had the Valencia Chicken Sandwich for the first time and thought it wasn’t bad at all, although a bit bland for my taste. Still thought it was an upgrade over the turkey sandwich.

Didn't look exactly like the picture as expected. There wasn’t as much chicken as suggested in the photo.

It came pre-cut in two pieces. Also came with a packet of mayonnaise & a decent sized chocolate chip cookie.
Surprise....
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I see no such option, unfortunately. Maybe I'll give them a call.
I thin preorders aren't available anymore. I'm not seeing them for my DFW-> HNL flights within 30 days.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by donotblink
I thin preorders aren't available anymore. I'm not seeing them for my DFW-> HNL flights within 30 days.
Hmm...maybe they are not showing up for domestic trips? I was able to pre-order and select meals with no issue just now for my upcoming international J trip.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I rang up and the lady I spoke to wasn't sure why the preorder option wasn't showing and the person she put me on hold to go and talk to also had no idea. I left it at that as I didn't have time to call again (and I didn't see the advice about getting in touch with them on Twitter until I'd checked). Anyway, I'm on board now and there are four different main-course options on the menu and I've just been able to order my first choice with no issues.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I rang up and the lady I spoke to wasn't sure why the preorder option wasn't showing and the person she put me on hold to go and talk to also had no idea. I left it at that as I didn't have time to call again (and I didn't see the advice about getting in touch with them on Twitter until I'd checked). Anyway, I'm on board now and there are four different main-course options on the menu and I've just been able to order my first choice with no issues.
I believe pre-order is still suspended at this point right?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I believe pre-order is still suspended at this point right?
Looks like it is. The person I spoke to certainly didn't say that to me definitively, though.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
JonNYC on Twitter guiding that Main Cabin beverage service slated to resume on 11/4 or 11/11 dependent on FAs and Coca Cola supplies. Assume from the latter it means alcohol still off the table.
What Coca Cola surprises if I may ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.