Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
DL FAs may not have much to serve right now, but they are hands-down the friendlier and more consistent of the two airlines.
not that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you but isn't that a rather broad brush to paint? Both airlines have thousands of flight attendants and both will have the good, bad, and PDB-less.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AA FAs are pretending to avoid service protocol on 4 hours flights (on the ones I have been on, twice only Y got the bags with water, F got nothing except on request drinks) so I would rather know what I am getting on DL 100% consistency rather than AA 25% consistency.
Not following you... AA is catering specific food provisions for flights over 900 miles in First Class and I am yet to be on a flight over 900 miles for which the FAs didn't serve the food options available. On DL, even domestic Delta One only gets packaged snacks and not even coffee, soft drinks, or ice.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What are the sub-900 mile exception routes for the fruit/cheese plates, etc? Or are there any at the moment? Didn't they used to be ORD-RDU and ORD-DFW if I recall correctly, for example?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
What are the sub-900 mile exception routes for the fruit/cheese plates, etc? Or are there any at the moment? Didn't they used to be ORD-RDU and ORD-DFW if I recall correctly, for example?
Add ORD-DCA and ORD-LGA to the list, pre-COVID these routes had a hot meal + salad + a heated cookie in Domestic First.

However, now these sub-900 miles exceptions are not in place. Still, no food offered on these routes; only drinks upon request or pro-active drink offering depending on the crew.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Having flown over a dozen times since May 2020 almost all on AA.....my best advice is to avoid flying on AE particularly Republic flights.

>900 mile mainline flights are very consistent with food offered in FC and proactive full bar offered.

If <900 mile mainline you might have to be a little more proactive in asking for drinks inflight in FC but there has never been any pushback or attitude.

This is the best way I can summarize AA these days.

Stick to AA mainline.
UAPremierGuy and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Having flown over a dozen times since May 2020 almost all on AA.....my best advice is to avoid flying on AE particularly Republic flights.

>900 mile mainline flights are very consistent with food offered in FC and proactive full bar offered.

If <900 mile mainline you might have to be a little more proactive in asking for drinks inflight in FC but there has never been any pushback or attitude.

This is the best way I can summarize AA these days.

Stick to AA mainline.
Agreed. Definitely worth avoiding Eagle at the moment.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed. Definitely worth avoiding Eagle at the moment.
Aren't the longer Eagle flights 900+ miles doing cheese plate/sandwich now? Would hope they would serve those if catered.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Aren't the longer Eagle flights 900+ miles doing cheese plate/sandwich now? Would hope they would serve those if catered.
No, I just flew DFW- Santa Barbara which is a bit over 3 hours, and no food up front. I paid to upgrade thinking there would be a meal. Only when I posted here afterwards that I found out it doesn't apply to Eagle flights
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might just be the snack/water bags that people get and not the FC food

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Sep 24, 2020 at 6:22 pm
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tstauck
No, I just flew DFW- Santa Barbara which is a bit over 3 hours, and no food up front. I paid to upgrade thinking there would be a meal. Only when I posted here afterwards that I found out it doesn't apply to Eagle flights
AA really needs to align Eagle flights to mainline at this point.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying to GDL today seat 2C on the dreaded 319. I look forward to reporting if there will be any PDB and/or cheese plate.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Refreshing!

CMK10, AAway, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Flying to GDL today seat 2C on the dreaded 319. I look forward to reporting if there will be any PDB and/or cheese plate.
Where did the flight originate? And any service updates?

Great pic btw! 😂
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheFlyGuy2
Where did the flight originate? And any service updates?

Great pic btw! 😂
I don’t know where it came from but I got my cheese!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don’t know where it came from but I got my cheese!
So glad you were able to savor the moment!
enviroian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.