Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
8 more minutes for my tasty hot entree!

oh wait.

lolol
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian

oh wait.

lolol
Lol, FA reheating his/her leftover Panda Express?
enviroian and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat

oh wait.

lolol
Nothing to see here...move along!
enviroian, jcatman and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Lol, FA reheating his/her leftover Panda Express?
pilot got a nice smelling entree! Lol
cmd320, GrumpyYoungMan and DC9 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add to the excitement of this F&B laden flight they booted off a guy before we took off wearing a wife beater because he was hammered and upon the door opening at dfw was DPD’s finest. As I was the first person at the the door the flight attendant says to the cop: “oh no is there something wrong”. Cop: “not as soon as we haul off a guy in a red tee shirt”.

LOL
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Flight crews have been pretty good with drinks. Although last week flying PHX/SNA I really needed some water. The F FA that struggled with the boarding announcements ignored me when I rang the FA call button. In fact he just looked at me as he warmed up his pizza, poured himself a drink and began to munch on his pizza. Finally a FA came up from coach and asked and as soon as I said ice water please she had a cup of ice water to me (and then everybody else in F began asking her for drinks). In the meantime pizza FA just munched on his pizza and watched her do F beverages.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Flight crews have been pretty good with drinks. Although last week flying PHX/SNA I really needed some water. The F FA that struggled with the boarding announcements ignored me when I rang the FA call button. In fact he just looked at me as he warmed up his pizza, poured himself a drink and began to munch on his pizza. Finally a FA came up from coach and asked and as soon as I said ice water please she had a cup of ice water to me (and then everybody else in F began asking her for drinks). In the meantime pizza FA just munched on his pizza and watched her do F beverages.
Unbelievable.
roadtriper and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

oh wait.

lolol
I thought maybe this was your peanuts but 8 minutes would prolly burn those!
enviroian and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertablake
Unbelievable.
Well October 1st is Thursday.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Well October 1st is Thursday.
Really hope he's on the cut list. That's just ridiculous.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
More delightful inconsistency

- 9/25 AA 508 RDU-CLT A-320: No service either cabin
- 9/25 AA 1800 CLT-BWI 737-800: Begrudging service in First, FA noticed me looking at her when walking the cabin and she said "do you need anything?" in a voice that clearly hoped I'd say no. I did not say no. No service in Y
- 9/26 AA 5293 ORF-CLT CRJ-900: Proactive beverage service in First. No service in Y
- 9/26 AA 1645 CLT-RDU 737-800: The three uniformed FAs sitting in First were given bottles of water and the lead FA asked them if they wanted anything else. No service for anyone else. No service in Y.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Other than routes over 2.2K miles there's no service in Y unless one asks. Generally you should expect a service in F other than maybe very short flights. My ATL/CLT flight the other day no service offered although the woman seated next to me ask for and received wine. A 35 minute flight went to over an hour due to being put in a holding pattern because of traffic into CLT and then a go round. I should have asked for a drink.

I finding that most FAs will now proactively offer additional beverages in F. Had a chicken sandwich today MIA/ORD and it was pretty good.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I don't understand the complaints on this thread. It's as if no one on Flyteralk is capable of asking politely for what they'd like. I've been flying every few weeks - fares are cheap, upgrade rate is 100%, not all flights are full and I've never not gotten a drink if I needed one, and can't recall any real crew attitude onboard.

Sometimes the service is proactive, sometimes I ask for it. Either way I'm happy and comfortable up front. I've learned to carry snacks with me and buy food at the airport if I need it. The cheaper fares have more than made up for the "cost" of no onboard catering.

And this is coming from someone who appreciates the art of service and goes out of their way to take a connection with SQ over a nonstop on an American carrier.
tstauck, Flying for Fun and DC9 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by daron4000
I don't understand the complaints on this thread. It's as if no one on Flyteralk is capable of asking politely for what they'd like. I've been flying every few weeks - fares are cheap, upgrade rate is 100%, not all flights are full and I've never not gotten a drink if I needed one, and can't recall any real crew attitude onboard.

Sometimes the service is proactive, sometimes I ask for it. Either way I'm happy and comfortable up front. I've learned to carry snacks with me and buy food at the airport if I need it. The cheaper fares have more than made up for the "cost" of no onboard catering.

And this is coming from someone who appreciates the art of service and goes out of their way to take a connection with SQ over a nonstop on an American carrier.
The point is that you shouldn't have to ask, beg, or plead for service in a premium cabin.
steve64, Spiff, enviroian and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
The point is that you shouldn't have to ask, beg, or plead for service in a premium cabin.
Agreed....luckily JonNYC tweeted recently that there most likely will be a return to full proactive beverage service on AA.....potentially even both cabins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.