Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ONT-DFW
738 with inseat TVs

No PDB (none expected) but no one in FC was allowed to take the baggie with water and wipes which was a first for me.

FA said no service in main cabin and offered the normal F&C plate or turkey sandwich along with drinks. Refills were offered but then cabin checks kind of dropped off from there.

I could hear the galley conversation and feel bad for our FAs as mine in FC was clearly on the furlough list but still did a nice job for us including taking someone’s jacket and hanging it on the ground.

Carfield, Harveynics and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
ONT-DFW
738 with inseat TVs

No PDB (none expected) but no one in FC was allowed to take the baggie with water and wipes which was a first for me.

I have heard varying reports that in some cases catering screws up and doesn't load enough bags, and at an outstation like ONT it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case since I don't think AA has the ability to call catering and get additional bags delivered. In that case I can understand asking FC not to take one especially if FA intended on providing proactive full beverage service in the air.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:36 pm

77W F to GRU this week. As reported, food and wine menu are identical to J. However, the fantastic full bedding set remains. J got the regular duvet and blanket
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime

77W F to GRU this week. As reported, food and wine menu are identical to J. However, the fantastic full bedding set remains. J got the regular duvet and blanket
Wow, even on international? That’s too bad.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Wow, even on international? That’s too bad.
The TPG article quoted in post #1029, seemed to indicate that all soft product elements of F would match J, except the seat, so I was surprised to even get the bedding TBH .
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TPG article quoted in post #1029 , seemed to indicate that all soft product elements of F would match J, except the seat, so I was surprised to even get the bedding TBH .
Fair enough. Just too bad AA can offer a higher level of service in F, especially if people are paying for it.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Fair enough. Just too bad AA can offer a higher level of service in F, especially if people are paying for it.
With the recently announced staffing changes (see JonNYC's twitter for details), I truly don't think AA F is long for this world...
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DFW-IAD
738 with PTVs

FC got the snack bag upon boarding and that dumb announcement about no F&B service (didn’t mention cabins) got the man across the aisle from me riled up as he clearly thought he was only getting that bag of pretzels and water and didn’t know that FC has more service.....they really need to revise that announcement so it references only in the main cabin.

Nice young crew that will probably be on furlough soon sadly.

Tired of the sandwich so here’s the F&C plate with my vodka sodas

thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the recently announced staffing changes (see JonNYC's twitter for details), I truly don't think AA F is long for this world...
That would certainly be a shame and would remove any competitive advantage AA retained on premium transcons. The reality is AA is far behind DL and even UA in the J cabin, (DL’s current crap J product notwithstanding). And of course for international, US airlines are the laughing stock of premium products.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying DFW-CUN next month in J. Any data points as to whether the food is any different than the normal domestic F&C or Turkey sandwich?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCI777
I'm flying DFW-CUN next month in J. Any data points as to whether the food is any different than the normal domestic F&C or Turkey sandwich?
It'll be the same F&C plate or turkey sandwich as all other domestic US flights (assuming it’s over 900 miles).....if it’s in the morning it’ll be a yogurt and granola box or a turkey croissant.
Harveynics likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 3MMiler
It'll be the same F&C plate or turkey sandwich as all other domestic US flights (assuming it’s over 900 miles).....if it’s in the morning it’ll be a yogurt and granola box or a turkey croissant.
Do you know if they are allowing you to pre-order? I don't see it as an option online and we are less than 30days out on our DFW-CUN morning flight? Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Harveynics
Do you know if they are allowing you to pre-order? I don't see it as an option online and we are less than 30days out on our DFW-CUN morning flight? Thanks
No preorder for now (Alaska does allow this)....they come to you row by row after takeoff asking which option you’d like and also asking for your drink preference.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Harveynics
No pre-order, even on the flights that get actual meals. I honestly have no clue what precludes them from being able to offer it at this point.
GrumpyYoungMan and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:49 am

ONT-DFW
738 with inseat TVs

FA said no service in main cabin and offered the normal F&C plate or turkey sandwich along with drinks. Refills were offered but then cabin checks kind of dropped off from there.

I could hear the galley conversation and feel bad for our FAs as mine in FC was clearly on the furlough list but still did a nice job for us including taking someone’s jacket and hanging it on the ground.

I love that the best descriptor they could come up with for their sandwich is "handmade."

There must be some segment of the population this resonates with. They get their sandwich and breath a sign of relief knowing that some kind of robot didn't touch their compressed turkey, water, and binder product and low-grade econo-cheese prior to them ingesting it.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.