Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Really? Numbers change all the time .
Some don't. Like, for example, AA21. AA21 was an evening IDL-LAX nonstop at the dawn of the jet age in 1959 and continued to be an evening JFK-LAX nonstop until very recently. While the dinner service inspired by the 21 Club disappeared at some point over the years, the historic flight number remained.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Not to mention more Spirit passengers as AA will fill the planes to the gills of people with potentially more angry anti-maskers
Any evidence that "angry anti-maskers" are more likely to fly NK than AA?

What's up with the disdain for Spirit passengers?

Last edited by Herb687; Aug 26, 2020 at 10:14 am Reason: multi quote
Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
As a customer who generally doesn't fly ULCCs, there are definitely some cases where I consider NK a better option than AA or DL. For example, in a couple of weeks I need to take a trip to Charlotte from MCO. Base fare on AA is $50 for BE, $164 for first (one way). Base fare on NK is $18.

Now I know what you're thinking, who wants to sit in a Y seat on NK? Precisely no one who values their personal space, including myself. So $44 for the upgrade to BFS. At this point $164 on AA vs $62 on NK for virtually the same hard product on this ~90 minute flight.

Do I need a bag? Probably not as this trip will likely only be a day but let's say I decide to pack heavy and bring a full-sized carry-on, that's another $35 putting us at $164 (AA) vs $97 (NK) now with pretty much the same hard product and the same on-board baggage allowance.

Turning to the only tangible differentiator left, soft product... AA will offer complimentary drinks, NK will not so the question for me at this point becomes, can I consume more than $67 worth of drinks on this ~90 minute flight? I can usually put away a good amount pretty quickly, but let's use the $11 price point on NK for a mixed drink and say I would have to consume at least six Tito's/Cranberry in 90 minutes, unlikely even for me, especially without a PDB.

Okay, going on to the intangibles. Health/safety/seating policies on AA and NK are basically the same. AA definitely has a much deeper schedule, though for me in this instance the timing of the NK flight is ideal. There's the possibility of IRROPs, but realistically if it gets bad enough I'll just cancel and rebook on AA or DL anyway, not really a big deal.

In the end, if the cost of the trip is coming out of your own pocket, or if you're a small business owner and it's going to come right out of your business's pocket, I can definitely see the value in NK on a flight such as this. Is it something I would consider flying MCO-LAX in? No, definitely not, in fact I don't even really consider AA domestic F in this instance, I'd rather fly or drive to MIA/FLL and take either the 77W flight or B6 Mint to LA. But on a short regional route which sees no real service in F on AA or DL anyway, I'm not really very convinced to spend more money on a product that really doesn't offer me anything additional.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cmd320
[most of excellent analysis snipped for brevity] But on a short regional route which sees no real service in F on AA or DL anyway, I'm not really very convinced to spend more money on a product that really doesn't offer me anything additional.
Your analysis was excellent. I'm typically a paid first class passenger too and I would not hesitate to book Spirit Big Front Seat on 2-3 hour segments when the schedule works and it costs me a lot less than AA F. In fact, the one time I did book NK BFS (trip wound up being canceled due to COVID), my all-in cost for NK BFS including carry-on bag was a few bucks less than AA Y would have been. If AA is going to offer the same product in F (aside from free drinks) there's just no way to justify paying a lot more to get the exact same thing.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
$44 for the upgrade to BFS
I have to ask --does it stand for big f'ing seat?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you walked by a NK boarding gate before? I have it. It looks like a leper colony.

AANYC1981 and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I have to ask --does it stand for big f'ing seat?
Probably what they originally wanted but I'm sure that bumped with legal so they had to settle for Big Front Seat.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond

Mia-lax today 8:30am breakfast on a 321 f class Not quite a breakfast but better than nothing or a cheese tray. One drink pass by fa one snack basket pass by fa They had no problems at other times with asking for more drinks alcohol or not. Before boarding no alcohol in coach was announced several times. All in all decent considering what the competitors are doing
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still don't understand why liquor is served in F but not Y.

WHY.

By the way anyone fly PE recently? Is liquor available there? If not they need to re-brand it and take away false advertising and to MCE as well.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
While those statements may be mostly factually correct, a little bit of empathy goes a long way. How would you feel if you berated a server at a restaurant for poor service, only to find out that they had just finalized a divorce or lost a close family member to cancer? if you have humanity over self-entitlement, you may apologize and realize that there are greater problems in this world and how quickly you received your drink.

Similarly, if you're flying AA in the near future and notice less smiling faces and an overall decreased willingness to break policy by proactively offering you a beverage in first class, maybe don't view it as a personal insult worth complaining or grousing on social media about. If there are any actual policy violations, then sure, right in to AA if it makes you feel better.

If you feel it in you to be a decent person, ​​​​​a little bit of empathy or a positive encouraging word would be a very effective way to make their day just a bit better.
I agree. At the same time empathy works both ways. I've seen a number of AA employees NOT ask themselves how they would feel when really BAD things happen to customers who are flustered and leverage forgetting to buckle a seat belt, or place an item under the seat as a chance to escalate the situation vs lead through empathy. I believe some folks are nauturally more empathetic than others, but AA does not promote a culture of empathy.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I correct in assuming there are still not blankets/pillows/bedding of any kind in premium transcon J (MIA-LAX 77W)?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
As a customer who generally doesn't fly ULCCs, there are definitely some cases where I consider NK a better option than AA or DL. For example, in a couple of weeks I need to take a trip to Charlotte from MCO. Base fare on AA is $50 for BE, $164 for first (one way). Base fare on NK is $18.

Now I know what you're thinking, who wants to sit in a Y seat on NK? Precisely no one who values their personal space, including myself. So $44 for the upgrade to BFS. At this point $164 on AA vs $62 on NK for virtually the same hard product on this ~90 minute flight.

Do I need a bag? Probably not as this trip will likely only be a day but let's say I decide to pack heavy and bring a full-sized carry-on, that's another $35 putting us at $164 (AA) vs $97 (NK) now with pretty much the same hard product and the same on-board baggage allowance.

Turning to the only tangible differentiator left, soft product... AA will offer complimentary drinks, NK will not so the question for me at this point becomes, can I consume more than $67 worth of drinks on this ~90 minute flight? I can usually put away a good amount pretty quickly, but let's use the $11 price point on NK for a mixed drink and say I would have to consume at least six Tito's/Cranberry in 90 minutes, unlikely even for me, especially without a PDB.

Okay, going on to the intangibles. Health/safety/seating policies on AA and NK are basically the same. AA definitely has a much deeper schedule, though for me in this instance the timing of the NK flight is ideal. There's the possibility of IRROPs, but realistically if it gets bad enough I'll just cancel and rebook on AA or DL anyway, not really a big deal.

In the end, if the cost of the trip is coming out of your own pocket, or if you're a small business owner and it's going to come right out of your business's pocket, I can definitely see the value in NK on a flight such as this. Is it something I would consider flying MCO-LAX in? No, definitely not, in fact I don't even really consider AA domestic F in this instance, I'd rather fly or drive to MIA/FLL and take either the 77W flight or B6 Mint to LA. But on a short regional route which sees no real service in F on AA or DL anyway, I'm not really very convinced to spend more money on a product that really doesn't offer me anything additional.
Your analysis was excellent. I'm typically a paid first class passenger too and I would not hesitate to book Spirit Big Front Seat on 2-3 hour segments when the schedule works and it costs me a lot less than AA F. In fact, the one time I did book NK BFS (trip wound up being canceled due to COVID), my all-in cost for NK BFS including carry-on bag was a few bucks less than AA Y would have been. If AA is going to offer the same product in F (aside from free drinks) there's just no way to justify paying a lot more to get the exact same thing.
I agree with both of you, Spirit is great if their somewhat limited flight schedule works well for you. I regularly fly them in BFS as an alternative to AA or any of the other carriers F. I would gladly take Spirit BFS over a domestic carriers economy or MCE seating anyday. The coach passengers all seem about the same.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x

Mia-lax today 8:30am breakfast on a 321 f class Not quite a breakfast but better than nothing or a cheese tray. One drink pass by fa one snack basket pass by fa They had no problems at other times with asking for more drinks alcohol or not. Before boarding no alcohol in coach was announced several times. All in all decent considering what the competitors are doing
I see three food groups in that meal, assuming you count the ice.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, KE GOLD, AMEX PLAT
Flew MIA-LAX on 77W departing at 9:30 PM last week and blankets + pillow were provided in business (no bedding).
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, United,Hilton Honors, Hyatt, JetBlue,
flew Vegas to Phillie yesterday morning...no blankets, pillows etc as attendant said not allowed...but did get the turkey sandwich instead of the dreaded fruit/cheese offering. Probably some of the best flight attendants we have had in a long while.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
All domestic routes except flagship Transcons and DFW-HNL get a cheese plane (soon to be choice between cheese and a turkey havarti sandwich)
I'm surprised that AA hasn't upgraded LAX-DCA, DFW-DCA, PHX-DCA to the 321T for a while with proper meals and service.

Then again, when I flew AA19 a few weeks ago, it was made very clear that while they handed out the cheese plate in F, the FA's were begrudgingly doing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.