Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Check
I love that the best descriptor they could come up with for their sandwich is "handmade."

There must be some segment of the population this resonates with. They get their sandwich and breath a sign of relief knowing that some kind of robot didn't touch their compressed turkey, water, and binder product and low-grade econo-cheese prior to them ingesting it.
Seems to have worked for Tito's "Handmade" Vodka.
Zacnlinc, jhalapin and Check like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Check
I love that the best descriptor they could come up with for their sandwich is "handmade."
I'll actually take that name over "handcrafted" or "artisan" stupid words.
wrp96 and Check like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It'll be the same F&C plate or turkey sandwich as all other domestic US flights (assuming it’s over 900 miles).....if it’s in the morning it’ll be a yogurt and granola box or a turkey croissant.
I just flew DFW - SBA yesterday, 7pm flight, and there was no F&C plate or sandwich offered. The flight is over 900 miles, shouldn't those be served?

FA was very nice though and great with the beverage refills
Old Sep 16, 2020, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tstauck
I just flew DFW - SBA yesterday, 7pm flight, and there was no F&C plate or sandwich offered. The flight is over 900 miles, shouldn't those be served?

FA was very nice though and great with the beverage refills
If it was an AE flight then there are no meals or fresh food offered....was it mainline or Eagle? They’ve been sending Mesa from DFW-Palm Springs recently on CR9s and I book away from those flights.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
No preorder for now (Alaska does allow this)....they come to you row by row after takeoff asking which option you’d like and also asking for your drink preference.
Well, not all crews may do this. Flew SFO-DFW in F recently, and the pre-flight announcement went something like "there will be no food or beverage service in either cabin".

Then after a while in the air someone used their call button to get service. Then a few more people noticed this and did the same thing.

Eventually, the crew relented and went through each row offering drinks and choice of sandwich or cheese/fruit plate, by this time around 2 hr into the flight.
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by econ
Well, not all crews may do this. Flew SFO-DFW in F recently, and the pre-flight announcement went something like "there will be no food or beverage service in either cabin".

Then after a while in the air someone used their call button to get service. Then a few more people noticed this and did the same thing.

Eventually, the crew relented and went through each row offering drinks and choice of sandwich or cheese/fruit plate, by this time around 2 hr into the flight.
Thats really bad and I have never experienced this recently since the fresh food was introduced.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
If it was an AE flight then there are no meals or fresh food offered....was it mainline or Eagle? They’ve been sending Mesa from DFW-Palm Springs recently on CR9s and I book away from those flights.
Yes, it was AE. I didn't realize there would be a difference. I mainly fly United and if a meal was offered, it would be on both mainline and RJ's, the difference being that United RJ's don't have ovens so it wouldn't be a hot meal. But it was still offered.

That's a bummer as it's a 3 hour flight.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tstauck
Yes, it was AE. I didn't realize there would be a difference. I mainly fly United and if a meal was offered, it would be on both mainline and RJ's, the difference being that United RJ's don't have ovens so it wouldn't be a hot meal. But it was still offered.

That's a bummer as it's a 3 hour flight.
Agreed, I can’t think of any reason other than cost cutting to not offer the F&C plate and sandwich or at least one option on AE flights

I refuse to fly AE until they harmonize the COVID-19 FC offering.....there are too many reports of even no service at all in FC on AE

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 16, 2020 at 6:27 pm
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Thats really bad and I have never experienced this recently since the fresh food was introduced.
Agreed, that’s embarrassingly bad on the part of the crew and not at all in line with what they’re supposed to do.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by econ

Hopefully AA is keeping track. These FAs should be among the last to return from furlough (assuming they have to be returned at all).
SkyTeam777 and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed, that’s embarrassingly bad on the part of the crew and not at all in line with what they’re supposed to do.
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Hopefully AA is keeping track. These FAs should be among the last to return from furlough (assuming they have to be returned at all).
It was a little odd. They seemed pretty attentive though when people used the call button. It's just that the service initially wasn't proactive at all.

I have to say the FAs on one of my flights coming back a few days later were very good, offering food/beverage soon after takeoff.
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
I just learned that our 6 PM flight today, from CLT to PDX (5-1/2 flight) does not have any meal service on the plane in the FC cabin. This is unbelievable. The wiki above, and AA's website says:

For all flights longer than 2,200 miles (typically more than 4 1/2 hours), including transcontinental and flights to Hawaii:
- First and business class meals will be served on one tray versus in courses.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
I just learned that our 6 PM flight today, from CLT to PDX (5-1/2 flight) does not have any meal service on the plane in the FC cabin. This is unbelievable. The wiki above, and AA's website says:

For all flights longer than 2,200 miles (typically more than 4 1/2 hours), including transcontinental and flights to Hawaii:
- First and business class meals will be served on one tray versus in courses.
You would have the options between a Turkey Havarti Argula Sandwich and a Fruit&Cheese plate. The WIKI was not updated with the latest updates on AA catering.

You would also receive a snack bag when entering the flight, which would have a bottle of water, a snack ( depends on the day ) and a hand sanitizing wipe.

PDB depends on the crew but in the air, you would receive a full bar service with refills offered.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You would have the options between a Turkey Havarti Argula Sandwich and a Fruit&Cheese plate. The WIKI was not updated with the latest updates on AA catering.

You would also receive a snack bag when entering the flight, which would have a bottle of water, a snack ( depends on the day ) and a hand sanitizing wipe.

PDB depends on the crew but in the air, you would receive a full bar service with refills offered.
I was told, thru the AA app chat, there was no meal service at all on this flight, only light snacks.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by robertablake
I was told, thru the AA app chat, there was no meal service at all on this flight, only light snacks.
It wouldn’t surprise me even if people in AA social and/or customer service know about these updates....I think it was only communicated to Flight Service/FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.