Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Very fair point. I try to post on FT in order to provide data points and inform other pax on how to educate AA service employees on their own airline's service policies.

I will write in and follow up on here. Maybe it will make a difference this time, but I'm skeptical.
Report it for the same reason - data points.
One incident doesn't drive change overall but an accumulation of data, even if none are huge on their own, CAN carry weight. Patterns develop and come to the forefront.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by aj411
Report it for the same reason - data points.
One incident doesn't drive change overall but an accumulation of data, even if none are huge on their own, CAN carry weight. Patterns develop and come to the forefront.
I wrote in. Will keep everyone posted.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:32 am

Wrote in. Response I got was maddening and showed that the writer did not understand AA's own policy. "We suspended all food and beverage service onboard for flights less than 2,200 miles." How can something even be properly reported when AA's own people don't know their own rules?
Old May 25, 2020, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wrote in. Response I got was maddening and showed that the writer did not understand AA's own policy. "We suspended all food and beverage service onboard for flights less than 2,200 miles." How can something even be properly reported when AA's own people don't know their own rules?
Wow....wish there was a shakes head emoji lol
brewdog11 and brc757rr like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow....wish there was a shakes head emoji lol
Because GREAT is what we're goin' for!
Spiff, cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Good to see employee training remains at pre-COVID levels...
Old May 25, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
If you have time to post here, you have time to respond to your response from Customer Relations. Here's what I would suggest if I had received the response that you did:

"Ref Customer Relations Case [##########]: The response you provided was inaccurate and missed the point completely. AA has not suspended beverage service on flights less than 2,200 miles and this is clearly posted at [specific AA URL]. The point of my original complaint was to document that male flight attendant [USE HIS NAME IF YOU GOT IT, THIS IS CRITICAL] working the first class cabin of flight [####] on [date] in [BRD/OFF] refused to comply with AA's beverage service standards as posted at [specific AA URL]. Furthermore, the overall attitude of [NAME] was hostile to passengers as was evidenced by [specific examples of his hostile behavior]. This employee needs to be immediately retrained on current AA service standards and counseled on how to interact with passengers."

Feel free to copy that word for word and just fill in the brackets with the correct details. I haven't copyrighted my work!
Drwaz99 and VonnyS12 like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Anyone that thinks AA is going to respond to complaints about no service in F is living in la la land. In a way I can understand AA's hands are tied. The airlines have already been shamed by the MSM because they are "forcing their employees to work." I can see some blithering idiot now on CNN pointing the finger at AA management and claiming they are endangering the lives of their FAs by forcing them to serve drinks in F class. It's how moronic our society has become.

My worry is that this becomes the service standard long term. For some of us that fly for business Spirit is not an option. Moreover, for some of us lounges aren't luxury items they are a necessity. Like the other day I'm on a call at the gate and some idiot next to me starts blasting rap music without headphones. At least in the AC if that happened the front desk staff would put an end to it immediately. Moreover, the AC is often a life saver for rerouting as they were for me on Saturday when my flight to PHL went on a mechanical delay.

Out of MIA UA is not a viable option. DL is an option if I want to contend with a connection in ATL every flight. Given the miserable traffic on 95 between MIA and FLL and the fact that the Tri Rail is about as reliable as some of AA's FAs flying B6 is not an option. Plus when I turn in miles for travel I'd fancy something more than the cities Frontier serves.
CMK10 likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Anyone that thinks AA is going to respond to complaints about no service in F is living in la la land.

My worry is that this becomes the service standard long term.
So what's your solution?

Out of MIA UA is not a viable option. DL is an option if I want to contend with a connection in ATL every flight. Given the miserable traffic on 95 between MIA and FLL and the fact that the Tri Rail is about as reliable as some of AA's FAs flying B6 is not an option. Plus when I turn in miles for travel I'd fancy something more than the cities Frontier serves.
Sounds like you've resigned yourself to letting yourself be hub captive. Why bother posting here if you think that complaining to AA won't change anything? Voting with your dollars would be a pretty effective way to send AA a message but you've told us clearly that you will not do that.

So, again, what is your solution?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
"We suspended all food and beverage service onboard for flights less than 2,200 miles."
Who the hell hires these people at AA? Seriously. Doesn't AA have metrics and/or KPI's to track performance like other normal companies?

I hope you responded back with that screen shot stating the obvious opposite of what Bozo the Clown told you.

Good grief.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by enviroian
Who the hell hires these people at AA? Seriously. Doesn't AA have metrics and/or KPI's to track performance like other normal companies?
That would involve investing in those metrics/software and training people to use it, which, as noted in the lack of training of their employees on AA's prime business function, don't hold your breath.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Would still recommend submitting complaints (for both sub-par service & inept customer service replies).

AA likely won't provide any satisfying response, espeically when it comes to what specifically (if anything) they do internally to address those complaints.

But at the very least, it's a way to show AA that some of their customers do very much notice when service levels fall short of published standards, and that customers still place value on the type of service they receive.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm flying RDU-CLT-LAX-PHX on Friday, that was the best option for the price too. CLT-LAX is maddeningly 2,175 miles so I guess I'm stuck bringing Burger King, the only airport open at CLT right now, on board
Old May 25, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have a basic economy trip planned for next week, and I received the following email. It appears they are attempting to get BE flyers to select a seat for a fee before the flight, and that is fine. However, they are openly advertising beverages upon request for all seat types, which doesn't jive with what is being presented on board.

Old May 25, 2020, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Also I forgot to mention: the FAs on my LAX-JFK flight told me they were turning right around and going back to LAX on that 5pm flight out of JFK (same plane). That keeps in line with AA saying they didn’t want to overnight any crews in NYC.

Man that’s a long day! They must be doing this once the other two frequencies get added in June so don’t expect your crews ex-JFK to be too fresh and perky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.