Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 10:51 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Good. Thank you for keeping the pressure on AA to get their act together.

I have no immediate plans to fly AA and if AA surveys me as to why, I will be telling them that food and beverage cutbacks are one reason why I am in no rush to get back in the air. They probably don't much care but they should. I have very broad discretion as to how to travel, even for business trips. As long as I get to my client's sites when they need me to be there, they do not care whether I fly, drive, or walk or how early I arrive. When AA's service standards make it more appealing to drive 600 miles as opposed to fly, that's a problem.
Response I just got:Fulfilling our customers' expectations remains a high priority for us and I am sorry this wasn't your experience on today's flight.

In addition to my apology please know I have documented your complaints. I have made your comments available to the appropriate management personnel for internal review and to serve as a focus of discussion on how to better serve our customers in the future. You have given us the opportunity to improve, and we assure you we will do our best to do just that.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.
enviroian and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
BYOB?

Can you bring your own (small, airplane size) booze on board? I think these bottles are small enough to clear TSA.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remedy
Can you bring your own (small, airplane size) booze on board? I think these bottles are small enough to clear TSA.
Legally you can bring it but not pour it yourself. Realistically, it's not difficult to do so long as you're not being stupid or flaunting it.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have been bringing a quart Ziploc bag full of mini bottles through security with me with no problems. I just wish I could find tonic water in the terminal somewhere. I've been doing a lot of rum and diet Pepsi and tequila and diet mountain dew.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by CLT
Response I just got:Fulfilling our customers' expectations remains a high priority for us and I am sorry this wasn't your experience on today's flight.

In addition to my apology please know I have documented your complaints. I have made your comments available to the appropriate management personnel for internal review and to serve as a focus of discussion on how to better serve our customers in the future. You have given us the opportunity to improve, and we assure you we will do our best to do just that.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.
It's why I didn't complain. Basically a useless form letter to blow you off. Instead of a thread on no PDBs we will now have a thread on FT about no beverages whatsoever in F.
CLT likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Pro tip: if you want water in the flight attendant refuses to offer it, tell them you need to take a medication for your blood pressure, they don’t want to have to have a medical diversion, and should oblige.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by donotblink
Pro tip: if you want water in the flight attendant refuses to offer it, tell them you need to take a medication for your blood pressure, they don’t want to have to have a medical diversion, and should oblige.
Are FAs really refusing a plastic cup of water to pax? I've experienced a couple of "no service" announcements, but upon personal request, a beverage was always provided (granted, this was in domestic F).
Old May 20, 2020, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Are FAs really refusing a plastic cup of water to pax? I've experienced a couple of "no service" announcements, but upon personal request, a beverage was always provided (granted, this was in domestic F).
The "No service" announcement is part of the standard "onboard greeting" now. But yes some FAs are refusing any service. Some will hand out large bottles of water as PDBs or if requesting water. The ones that refuse service in F seem to have no problem handing out cc applications.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The "No service" announcement is part of the standard "onboard greeting" now. But yes some FAs are refusing any service. Some will hand out large bottles of water as PDBs or if requesting water. The ones that refuse service in F seem to have no problem handing out cc applications.
In the DOT's tarmac delay rules there is a line that states:

On both domestic and international flights, U.S. airlines must provide passengers with food and water no later than two hours after the tarmac delay begins.
Perhaps the DOT needs to apply a similar limit as that to the air now as well. It's pretty unreasonable to provide passengers with absolutely nothing, not even water for hours on end. If it isn't acceptable on the ground then it certainly isn't once in the air either.
asnovici likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
In the DOT's tarmac delay rules there is a line that states:

Perhaps the DOT needs to apply a similar limit as that to the air now as well. It's pretty unreasonable to provide passengers with absolutely nothing, not even water for hours on end. If it isn't acceptable on the ground then it certainly isn't once in the air either.
For all mainline flights between 900 and 2199 miles, every passenger gets a bottled water and snack in a paper sack upon boarding
Old May 20, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I also received the snack and bottled water bag on DCA-ORD even though that was less than 900 miles.

Originally Posted by AAway
For all mainline flights between 900 and 2199 miles, every passenger gets a bottled water and snack in a paper sack upon boarding
AAway likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger

A snack bar was provided, and twice during the flight, an FA brought round a basket full of snacks too.

Snack bar section, at door 2, between the mini and main J cabin

Hope you find this useful, and shout if any questions. Cheers!
Did they really have self-serve wine in the snack bar section? Never seen that before on AA flights, and surprised if they do given the current COVID situation.

And thanks for sharing your trip report of the F&B service. Seems like it is much better than nothing and some folks are trying to make it as good as the circumstances allow!
Old May 21, 2020, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Did they really have self-serve wine in the snack bar section? Never seen that before on AA flights, and surprised if they do given the current COVID situation.

And thanks for sharing your trip report of the F&B service. Seems like it is much better than nothing and some folks are trying to make it as good as the circumstances allow!
I would guess the FA is nearby to pour it. They don't ordinarily allow people to self serve from the wine selection in the J bar.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Stickboy46
Should have turned down the Credit card App by saying "Sorry, for your health and safety, I can't touch that"
Question Barclays Twitter instead of AA? Would love to know what virus resistant paper is being used on the cc apps that is far superior to soda cans and mini bottles in deterring virus transmission. Especially if trash goes into the bag without being touched by the FA while the FA will happily collect completed cc apps.

Maybe Barclays will respond to the shaming by eliminating in flight pitches and refusing to pay FA a commission for any apps still in circulation. Must minimize risk!
asnovici, jdawg, AAway and 2 others like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Having a hard time understanding why people are allowing FA's to get away with the no service b/s. AA's website clearly states online that you can get any drink you want in F on a request basis and in Y it's water, juice or canned beverages, again on request. If you want a drink, ring your call button or go to the galley and ask for it. If they give you grief, like I mentioned happened to me on one of my flights last week, ask them to explain their refusal to provide service vs. AA's website that specifically allows for it if asked. Flying tomorrow and will have that portion of AA's website ready to go if needed.

My wife even went as far last week as purchasing wifi, messaging the AA twitter team "to explain to Dawn on flight XXX that yes, she was to serve a drink if asked for one." They replied back that unless it was deemed to be unsafe to move around the cabin, my wife was correct. Surprisingly, the FA didn't leverage the unsafe to move about the cabin comment and did get my wife her wine. AA even refunded the wifi
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.