Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by umaa83
Flying tomorrow and will have that portion of AA's website ready to go if needed.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
start disputing portions of the fare with your bank for services not rendered and I bet they start paying attention. AA needs all the money they can get right now. Even if it doesn't work, worth a shot
Old May 22, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by umaa83
My wife even went as far last week as purchasing wifi, messaging the AA twitter team "to explain to Dawn on flight XXX that yes, she was to serve a drink if asked for one." They replied back that unless it was deemed to be unsafe to move around the cabin, my wife was correct. Surprisingly, the FA didn't leverage the unsafe to move about the cabin comment and did get my wife her wine. AA even refunded the wifi
FA will just deem it unsafe based on the thunderstorms that were 500nm away from the flight path.
enviroian and umaa83 like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
FA will just deem it unsafe based on the thunderstorms that were 500nm away from the flight path.
"Due to the short duration of this flight, Covid 19 and our mandatory credit card pitch only water will be served"
umaa83, CLT and cmd320 like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The F FA I had the other day CLT/MIA treated us like we were leopards with oozing sores. 2 F paxs asked for something and were told to go pound sand. This woman was just downright nasty. If one is so pissed they have to work please quit your job. OTH last night with a 2 hour delay the booze flowed all the way to ORD. The F FA even asked the Captain hold the replacement plane to ensure F catering was transferred.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The F FA I had the other day CLT/MIA treated us like we were leopards with oozing sores. .
I'd be afraid of leopards with or without oozing sores..
apeortdz and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Multiple F flights recently. Getting any beverages or alcohol was an act of congress on almost every flight.

MSY-ORD: FA came around and offered water. Upon ordering alcohol, said "we're not serving it anymore." Seatmate and I referenced AA policy regarding alcohol in F and showed her AA website. Said she'd go "check with other FAs in the back." Came back 10 min later and said, "we're gonna make an exception and do it." Received three rounds of drinks, with the second and third rounds offered proactively.

ORD-BNA: immediately upon departure, FAs stood in galley and emptied a bunch of minis into a plastic trash bag. Asked FAs for service and was told "no alcohol was catered." Mentioned a can of Bud Light I saw them throwing into a trash bag and tune immediately changed. FA said she'd go "check if some was catered in the back" (however there was no rear galley as we were on a CRJ-700). FAs came forward and miraculously produced beverages with very nervous dispositions. Copious alcohol offered. Something shady was going on for sure; I guess they were planning on a party at the hotel later.

BNA-CLT: cheerful crew offered beverages to pax who wanted them. Did not imbibe as it was a 6am flight.

CLT-DFW: terrible, rude F FA said "no service at all." One of the most resentful FAs I've ever experienced. After several pax pressed him, he served one round on request but was very rude the whole time. After asking for a third round, simply brought a large bottled water to the seat. Same FA was able to have a very loud, non-socially-distanced convo with unmasked pax in row 1 that was disruptive to entire cabin. Somehow, it was also safe to distribute Barclaycard applications in the aisle after a prolonged, exaggerated CC announcement was made. Nasty looks for everyone upon deplaning.

DFW-MSY: great service throughout flight.

Overall not a good week on AA. Really starting to wonder what I'm paying for. With so much on the chopping block, you'd think people would at least be willing to follow established policy.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brewdog11
...Came back 10 min later and said, "we're gonna make an exception and do it." Received three rounds of drinks, with the second and third rounds offered proactively...
That’s the thing with AA FAs. They’re never actually wrong, they just make exceptions to the rules they make up on their own.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Multiple F flights recently. Getting any beverages or alcohol was an act of congress on almost every flight.
Completely unacceptable. It's really sad the onus is on US the paying passenger to prove what we are entitled service wise.

They were throwing away FULL minis of liquor?

This continuous absurd behavior must be reported.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Completely unacceptable. It's really sad the onus is on US the paying passenger to prove what we are entitled service wise.

They were throwing away FULL minis of liquor?

This continuous absurd behavior must be reported.
It's really become a joke. Anything to get out of working. If you don't want to do your job, stay at home.

I don't think they were throwing them away as much as saving them for consumption later that evening. They filled two bags with minis and beers and made a bee-line for the back.
enviroian and cmd320 like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think they were throwing them away as much as saving them for consumption later that evening. They filled two bags with minis and beers and made a bee-line for the back.
I’m not an expert but I’m relatively certain that’s fireable.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really become a joke. Anything to get out of working. If you don't want to do your job, stay at home.

for kicks and giggles what AA literature did you have to show service? I would like to know as I have my first upcoming flight in a few weeks and I want to be sure I'm packin'
AANYC1981 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cmd320
I’m not an expert but I’m relatively certain that’s fireable.
Yep, it’s theft of company property (at least thats what DL calls it).

Report all of these!

How are you guys showing them the AA.com verbiage? Just getting on the WiFi the minute you can and pulling up the page to have in case you show them? I’d imagine we need to have it ready to go (otherwise they’d just walk away) so maybe you’re doing a screenshot?
Old May 23, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
for kicks and giggles what AA literature did you have to show service? I would like to know as I have my first upcoming flight in a few weeks and I want to be sure I'm packin'
This link here clearly specifies the service standards in light of COVID-19, including specifically "alcohol on request in first class" (first bullet point below "For all flights shorter than 2,200 miles"):

Newsroom - American Airlines Adjusts Food and Lounge Service in Response to COVID-19 - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Always a good idea to have literature on hand! It's pretty hard to refute an official AA news release.

Most of us on CLT-DFW leg were paid F pax. EXP in paid F and I can't get any more than a nasty look and a hostile, argumentative tone. Several (including myself) paid extra for F to enjoy beverage service on the flight. I'm just very tired of having to bring printouts and reference AA policy to AA employees to get what I paid for (as we all are).
mctravel1 likes this.

Last edited by brewdog11; May 23, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Old May 23, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got em! I took screen shots on my iPhone.

I am now locked and loaded.

MorganB, cmd320, econ and 1 others like this.

Last edited by enviroian; May 23, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.