Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ellinj
Been a long time Aviator Silver card holder, I had gotten the 5K LPs for 20k spend late last year. In November I applied for the Citi Executive since it's cheaper than renewing my AC membership. Since I already had over 90k LPs I got 15k in bonus LPs. Is it supposed to work like this? Double dipping on both cards? I know in the past when it was based on spend you couldn't. Trying to decide if I should direct spend this year onto Aviator card.
Any kind of bonus LP you may get on the Barclay's or Citi cards for meeting certain spend or LP's are completely separate. It's not really double dipping as you are meeting separate thresholds on separate cards.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:40 am

Timing of CC purchases posting as loyalty points?

Sorry if this is already answered in thread but I couldn't find it: I am very close to hitting next threshold before end of February and should make it based on World Elite credit card purchases. But I can't tell when the points post - is it when I make a qualifying purchase or when I pay the card? Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by deaddog
Sorry if this is already answered in thread but I couldn't find it: I am very close to hitting next threshold before end of February and should make it based on World Elite credit card purchases. But I can't tell when the points post - is it when I make a qualifying purchase or when I pay the card? Thanks.
the points will post ~24 hours ish after the statement.

But for the purposes of elite qualifying, it goes by the post date of transaction

As an example, if your monthly AAdvantage® credit card statement closes on March 5 (which includes purchases posted to your credit card account between February 6 and March 5), all the Loyalty Points earned from purchases made between February 6 through 29 will count toward 2024 status. All Loyalty Points earned between March 1 and 5 count toward the 2025 qualification year.
https://viewfromthewing.com/american...owards-status/
Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
the points will post ~24 hours ish after the statement.
But for the purposes of elite qualifying, it goes by the post date of transaction
https://viewfromthewing.com/american...owards-status/
This is a surprising new development, and I am looking forward to how it plays out. Somehow CITI must be taking February and splitting it into two buckets to post to AAdvantage accounts.
Based on this I will be postponing most February charges (which close in early March), as I want that spending to result in LPs that count for 2025 status.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I didn't mention, but I was inquiring about the $120 calendar year Avis credit/benefit.
I was curious too...I returned an Avis car on 12/31 and it didn't post until 1/6. My guess is that if your car rental didn't actually post by 12/31 (the last day of the calendar year), you (and I) missed out on the $120 credit for 2022 (unfortunately) and your January posting will count toward your $120 credit for 2023. In my case, I haven't received any $120 credit regardless and I think it might be because I rented in Europe. Anyone know if the terms and conditions specify that it only applies to US/Canada rentals?

EDIT: I checked the terms and conditions and it only says, "This statement credit only applies to Avis or Budget brands at participating locations." which could be just about anywhere so my guess is Europe-based locations are a no-go as far as the credit is concerned given that this is a US-issued credit card.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jan 10, 2024 at 9:38 pm
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I was curious too...I returned an Avis car on 12/31 and it didn't post until 1/6. My guess is that if your car rental didn't actually post by 12/31 (the last day of the calendar year), you (and I) missed out on the $120 credit for 2022 (unfortunately) and your January posting will count toward your $120 credit for 2023. In my case, I haven't received any $120 credit regardless and I think it might be because I rented in Europe. Anyone know if the terms and conditions specify that it only applies to US/Canada rentals?

EDIT: I checked the terms and conditions and it only says, "This statement credit only applies to Avis or Budget brands at participating locations." which could be just about anywhere so my guess is Europe-based locations are a no-go as far as the credit is concerned given that this is a US-issued credit card.
in my case I wanted it to go against my 2024 credit

in October 2023 I rented from Europe and received the credit. I think by participating locations means just not the “fake”, contracted out Avis’s we see sometimes in like Latin America and elsewhere.

As long as the charge says Avis you’ll get the credit but sounds like it will be for 2024 if I had to guess.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
in my case I wanted it to go against my 2024 credit

in October 2023 I rented from Europe and received the credit. I think by participating locations means just not the “fake”, contracted out Avis’s we see sometimes in like Latin America and elsewhere.

As long as the charge says Avis you’ll get the credit but sounds like it will be for 2024 if I had to guess.
Oh, that's encouraging--I'll keep an eye out for the credit.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Oh, that's encouraging--I'll keep an eye out for the credit.
should hit around your statement cycle
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:24 pm

Browsing hotels on aadvantagehotels.com for an upcoming trip. Am I correct in assuming that, in this case, the 15,000 miles per stay will count towards loyalty points? Or, would loyalty points only be up to the amount of the actual stay, and the remainder of the 15,000 are just base points?

Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by swf83
Browsing hotels on aadvantagehotels.com for an upcoming trip. Am I correct in assuming that, in this case, the 15,000 miles per stay will count towards loyalty points? Or, would loyalty points only be up to the amount of the actual stay, and the remainder of the 15,000 are just base points?

The 15,000 miles are LPs. This is the maximum amount you can get for a stay on AAdvantagehotels reservation.
If you are in a crunch to get LPs, depending on how many nights you are staying, it may be beneficial to split your stay into TWO stays at different hotels, possibly netting 15,000 LPs twice. (I am unsure if this would work at the SAME hotel- It says you cannot in the terms and conditions)
swf83 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field

For the reservation illustrated you would get 15,000 LPs and 15,000 award miles (aka redeemable miles or RDMs) from AAHotels. Those will post to your Aa account after the dates of your hotel stay. Given the thread you are posting in, I'm going to assume that you will also be charging this to your Citi Executive card. In addition to the LPs and RDMs from AAHotels, the same reservation will get you 1 LP per dollar spent and 10 RDMs per dollar spent from Citi. Those will post to your AA account as part of your monthly Citi statement posting.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:32 pm

Wow! Thanks! I have received mixed feedback on whether or not the shown earned miles per stay earn as base miles or LP -- that is great news, thanks!

Last edited by swf83; Jan 13, 2024 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:36 pm

Wow! Thanks! I have mixed feedback on whether or not the shown earned miles per stay earn as base miles or LP -- that is great news, thanks!
You would get 15,000LPs (and the 15,000 corresponding redeemable miles).
If you decide to boost the miles during checkout, the boosted miles do NOT count as LPs. Only redeemable miles.

Also, I've noticed that every once in awhile during the reservation/checkout process, that 15,000 miles may change. Just be vigilant.
swf83 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:46 pm

And any limit to the total number of bookings on the hotel site I can make? LPs capped?

what a great earning method…
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Wow! Thanks! I have received mixed feedback on whether or not the shown earned miles per stay earn as base miles or LP -- that is great news, thanks!
In the AA lexicon, the term "base miles" means they count as both LPs and RDMs. If you see the term "bonus miles" that (usually) means they will just count as RDMs only. Note that AA uses sometimes uses these terms in inconsistent and confusing ways, e.g. as when they offer you an "LP bonus".
swf83 and WannaTheater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.