Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:58 am
  #691  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 3,196
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Thank you. I had assumed that would be the case, but appreciate the clarity.
you could get the 10x boost on the charge though
thedeeg likes this.
donotblink is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:03 am
  #692  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Thank you. I had assumed that would be the case, but appreciate the clarity.
Note that the mileup card has no AF and qualifies.
lowfareair and thedeeg like this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:44 pm
  #693  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by donotblink
you could get the 10x boost on the charge though
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Note that the mileup card has no AF and qualifies.
Thank you both.

My partner earns about 150k lp ‘organically’, so trying to find a good way to get an extra 50k easily. A couple of hotel stays used to cover it easily.
thedeeg is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:54 pm
  #694  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Thank you both.

My partner earns about 150k lp ‘organically’, so trying to find a good way to get an extra 50k easily. A couple of hotel stays used to cover it easily.
If possible, you might consider aiming for 250k. The rewards for going from 200k to 250k are significant. Even if you just take the miles, that's a 60k bonus for earning 50k, so a 120% bonus. And if course if you get more value from one of the other options that's even better, but the 60k miles is a nice baseline.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:58 pm
  #695  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,484
Originally Posted by deeruck
Yes, if you have it properly linked to your Aadvantage account, the lounge attendants want your boarding pass, not your card. Card is only needed for authorized users.
I just want to confirm what I'm seeing here (other posts suggest that they want to see the physical card to see "Admiral's Club on the back). I am the primary card holder. I just got the card, and will add it to my AAdvantage account. When I go to the lounge, will I need the physical card, or will the BP be sufficient? and would this be expected to work at AS lounges as well, or would they want to see the card since it won't be linked to my AS account.

Ideally, I'd like not to have to carry the card (it is in my digital Waller, but the Admiral's Club designation doesn't show).

Is it possible to safely do this for AC and AS lounges?

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:03 pm
  #696  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,112
Originally Posted by brp
I just want to confirm what I'm seeing here (other posts suggest that they want to see the physical card to see "Admiral's Club on the back). I am the primary card holder. I just got the card, and will add it to my AAdvantage account. When I go to the lounge, will I need the physical card, or will the BP be sufficient? and would this be expected to work at AS lounges as well, or would they want to see the card since it won't be linked to my AS account.

Ideally, I'd like not to have to carry the card (it is in my digital Waller, but the Admiral's Club designation doesn't show).

Is it possible to safely do this for AC and AS lounges?

Cheers.
For primary card holder I've only been asked once for the physical card at an Admirals Club, but it was when their systems were down so they weren't letting anyone in without seeing the card.

For Alaska Lounges, I've been required to show it every time.
S80 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:05 pm
  #697  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,484
Originally Posted by S80
For primary card holder I've only been asked once for the physical card at an Admirals Club, but it was when their systems were down so they weren't letting anyone in without seeing the card.

For Alaska Lounges, I've been required to show it every time.
Thanks. Very much what I was expecting for AS. And it sounds like it's generally OK for AC, but still safer to have it.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:11 pm
  #698  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 20,315
Originally Posted by brp
I just want to confirm what I'm seeing here (other posts suggest that they want to see the physical card to see "Admiral's Club on the back). I am the primary card holder. I just got the card, and will add it to my AAdvantage account. When I go to the lounge, will I need the physical card, or will the BP be sufficient? and would this be expected to work at AS lounges as well, or would they want to see the card since it won't be linked to my AS account.

Ideally, I'd like not to have to carry the card (it is in my digital Waller, but the Admiral's Club designation doesn't show).

Is it possible to safely do this for AC and AS lounges?

Cheers.
As the primary cardholder, you do not need to show the physical card in order to access the Admirals Clubs. Your AAdvantage profile shows that you are an Executive MasterCard holder and thus an Admirals Club member.

It's been a few years since I used my Executive Card to enter an Alaska Lounge. At the time I had to show the physical card and the agent actually checked the back of the card to verify that I was an an Admirals Club member. Authorized users do not have the Admirals Club insignia on in the back of their cards and do not have access to the AS lounges.

That was before AS joined the oneworld alliance. I have no idea whether they can now see in their system whether one is an Admirals Club member.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:13 pm
  #699  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,112
Originally Posted by brp
Thanks. Very much what I was expecting for AS. And it sounds like it's generally OK for AC, but still safer to have it.

Cheers.
I don't exactly know what was going on with their system that morning, but it was 5am, my flight boarded in 30 minutes, and I just wanted some breakfast, so I just handed the card when they asked for it. There's probably another way they could have verified (maybe showing the Citi app?), but I don't know since I always carry that card. That being said, it was once in hundreds of visits, so it may never happen to you.

Originally Posted by TWA884
That was before AS joined the oneworld alliance. I have no idea whether they can now see in their system whether one is an Admirals Club member.
My last visit was in September and they required boarding pass, my AA FF# (They don't need to see it, I just told them, now that it's not printed on BPs in full), and they physically look at the card to make sure it has the Admirals Club branding on the back.
S80 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:14 pm
  #700  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,484
Originally Posted by TWA884

It's been a few years since I used my Executive Card to enter an Alaska Lounge. At the time I had to show the physical card and the agent actually checked the back of the card to verify that I was an an Admirals Club member. Authorized users do not have the Admirals Club insignia on in the back of their cards and do not have access to the AS lounges.

That was before AS joined the oneworld alliance. I have no idea whether they can now see in their system whether one is an Admirals Club member.
Thanks. We often fly AS in long haul F, so get lounge access anyway. I will ask next time we are in an AS lounge as we do fly within the Pac NW in coach and this is where it will be handy.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:57 am
  #701  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 1,181
I recall that last year, AA/Citi did a one-time deposit of miles from Feb spending (as LPs only) on Feb 28, but then posted the LPs (plus miles earned) from the full statement as normal in March. So LPs earned from spending from Feb statement open through Feb 28 double counted, once for the previous year, and once for the following year. This wasn't announced in advance but was a nice surprise, though it would have been nice to know for planning purposes. I was wondering if it would happen again this year, and just got this from AA:

What has changed?

The Loyalty Points you earn on AAdvantage® credit card* purchases between March 1 and the end of February of the following year count toward the current status qualification year.

This means you can earn Loyalty Points through February 29, 2024, instead of your last statement close date of the qualification year.

What will this look like?

As an example, if your monthly AAdvantage® credit card statement closes on March 5 (which includes purchases posted to your credit card account between February 6 and March 5), all the Loyalty Points earned from purchases made between February 6 through 29 will count toward 2024 status. All Loyalty Points earned between March 1 and 5 count toward the 2025 qualification year.
This does make earning more straightforward, but is not an improvement when announced so late in the year. I had already planned earning to just barely make 200k, and counted on spending from mid-Feb onwards to count for the following year. I'll complain, but don't expect much.
ZenFlyer likes this.
brenc3 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:20 am
  #702  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by brenc3
I recall that last year, AA/Citi did a one-time deposit of miles from Feb spending (as LPs only) on Feb 28, but then posted the LPs (plus miles earned) from the full statement as normal in March. So LPs earned from spending from Feb statement open through Feb 28 double counted, once for the previous year, and once for the following year. This wasn't announced in advance but was a nice surprise, though it would have been nice to know for planning purposes. I was wondering if it would happen again this year, and just got this from AA:
This does make earning more straightforward, but is not an improvement when announced so late in the year. I had already planned earning to just barely make 200k, and counted on spending from mid-Feb onwards to count for the following year. I'll complain, but don't expect much.
I'm not sure what there would be to complain about- The earning year has not changed - "You’ll qualify for status based on the Loyalty Points posted to your account for the 12-month period starting on March 1 of each year. And, the new AAdvantage® status membership year is valid through March 31 of each year."

It looks like they are merely fixing a technical issue for which they had a bad workaround for last year.


This is better than what Southwest did several years ago- On Dec 31, a friend was short of getting companion pass by about 3K points. He got his Chase Southwest credit card statement of about 5K on January 5th. They would not budge, as even though the charges were all made in December, the points were technically not awarded until January 5th. I still catch flak for this, as I was the one who recommended the card based on his travel patterns.
Beckles, brp and LovePrunes like this.
WannaTheater is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:49 am
  #703  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,484
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I'm not sure what there would be to complain about- The earning year has not changed - "You’ll qualify for status based on the Loyalty Points posted to your account for the 12-month period starting on March 1 of each year. And, the new AAdvantage® status membership year is valid through March 31 of each year."
And something to be careful about: If this is like other cards, this is based on the date that the charge posts to your account and not the date you make the charge. There can be several days of delay between when you make the charge and when it posts. Something to keep in mind right up at the earning year transition.

Cheers.
lowfareair and robertablake like this.
brp is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:56 pm
  #704  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: L. A./ N. Y.
Programs: Exec Plat; 2.7 m miles
Posts: 43
Question: must the card of an Authorized User be activated for them to have access to the lounge (I.e., does the agent swipe the card)? We added our kids as Authorized Users so they can access the lounges but we’d rather that they did not use the card for personal charges. We want them to use it for lounge access only so we’d prefer that they not activate their cards unless necessary.
JohnVernon is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:15 pm
  #705  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by JohnVernon
Question: must the card of an Authorized User be activated for them to have access to the lounge (I.e., does the agent swipe the card)? We added our kids as Authorized Users so they can access the lounges but we’d rather that they did not use the card for personal charges. We want them to use it for lounge access only so we’d prefer that they not activate their cards unless necessary.
Cards that are not activated can still be used.

Some issuers will put a limit on the amount of charges that can be made without activation before they start getting declined but not all do. I've definitely used new credit cards without ever activating them.

The way you get them not to use the card is you tell them not to use the card. If you don't trust them to do that then don't make them an AU.
hhdl likes this.
VegasGambler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.