Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Also, flights from the UK to KTM will have significant departure taxes/fees. If you can depart from another European country, fees should be lower.
Significant? APD would be GBP 71 in Y for flights over 2000 miles - it wouldn't make much sense to go out of your way to "save" that.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Deleted.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 2, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by goliath
Also, flights from the UK to KTM will have significant departure taxes/fees. If you can depart from another European country, fees should be lower.
Significant? APD would be GBP 71 in Y for flights over 2000 miles - it wouldn't make much sense to go out of your way to "save" that.
And how much is the PSC?

If the traveler were considering visiting another European country anyway, it would certainly make sense to fly into the UK, but out of a different country. In addition to LCCs from LON, there is also Megabus.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
And how much is the PSC?
About GBP 42 - but it's not like other European countries have zero PSC. Germany and Switzerland have GBP 25 as well, for example.

If the traveler were considering visiting another European country anyway, it would certainly make sense to fly into the UK, but out of a different country.
Absolutely. I just meant to say "I wouldn't go out of my way just to avoid departing from the UK".
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The.walker
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Your miles should already be converted to AAdvantage miles, and you should have an AAdvantage account. This change occurred back in March 2015.

You can book a flight for after March 22 at the current rates. However, making certain changes after 3/22 may incur a repricing that would require you to pay the new mileage rate. As of now, I believe the only change that has been confirmed NOT to trigger a repricing is a date change.
Awesome. Apparently, I'd already signed up for AAdvantage account. My balance, as it stands, is 60k miles. I'm really happy to know that I can book flights for later in the year at current rate.

Last question if you don't mind me asking, will i lose my miles if I cancelled the cc (barclaycard US airways mastercard)?
Of course, with 60K AA miles, you could fly KTM-Europe roundtrip in Business Class, rather than one way in F, and one-way in Y. Decisions, decisions.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm

Of course, with 60K AA miles, you could fly KTM-Europe roundtrip in Business Class, rather than one way in F, and one-way in Y. Decisions, decisions.
Wait, I can? On Etihad Airlines? So all I need to do is call AA, right?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The.walker

Wait, I can? On Etihad Airlines? So all I need to do is call AA, right?
On Etihad. Or on Qatar. Or on Jet Airways. (All subject to award-seat availability, of course.)

Yes, just call AA. (Note that some FTers have reported that the AA Australia Reservations office often has an easier time booking available award space on Etihad than other AA offices.)

Not sure if Etihad or Qatar would be better for travel in J.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Changing governing carriers and routings

My wife is currently booked BKK-HKG-LAX-SAN on CX and AA. Miles from her (Gold) account. She wants to change to BKK-NRT-SAN on JL. Does this incur the change fee?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
My wife is currently booked BKK-HKG-LAX-SAN on CX and AA. Miles from her (Gold) account. She wants to change to BKK-NRT-SAN on JL. Does this incur the change fee?
No.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-changes.html says "no".
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:14 am

domestic connection over 4 hours

I have a question about this rule:

"Connections of more than 4 hours are considered a stopover unless the passenger is taking the next scheduled flight and it is outside the 4 hours."

Consider the following hypothetical scenario with made up flight times: I'm trying to get from IAH to HNL. Now there's flights every hour between IAH and DFW. But there's only one flight DFW-HNL at 8pm.

I'm wondering if it would be legal to route through DFW with a connection exceeding 4 hours with a 1pm IAH-DFW flight and the 8pm DFW-HNL flight?

By the wording of the rule above, it seems that this would be legal, since 8pm is the "next scheduled flight" to HNL given the 1pm IAH-DFW flight.

However, note that:
1) had I selected a 5pm IAH-DFW flight, then the connection would be under 4 hours. (Note that in practice, this flight might not have award availability, even though it's "scheduled".)
2) I can also route through elsewhere, PHX for example, and made all connections in under 4 hours

The reason I'm even bother asking this is that if the above were *not* legal, then given my plans right now, I'd have to select a roundabout itinerary with 2 connections. Whereas if the above is legal, then I'd be able to select an itinerary with only 1 connection (but exceeding 4 hours) and actually arrive in less time than the itinerary with 2 connections. It seems rather counterintuitive that the connection rule would force me to select a longer itinerary just so I can fit all connections to under 4 hours.

Last edited by Ricebucket; Jan 3, 2016 at 11:17 am Reason: edited to correct use of the words "stopover" and "connection"
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:25 pm

try to book PVG-NRT-YVR in 08/20 for JL business, I can see the reward space in BA, JL own website is down for 3 month but I talk to 2 AA reps all said nothing is available, any idea why?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by ecgz88
try to book PVG-NRT-YVR in 08/20 for JL business, I can see the reward space in BA, JL own website is down for 3 month but I talk to 2 AA reps all said nothing is available, any idea why?

Thanks!
Did you feed the itinerary to them flight by flight (by flight number, not route)?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ricebucket
I have a question about this rule:

"Connections of more than 4 hours are considered a stopover unless the passenger is taking the next scheduled flight and it is outside the 4 hours."

Consider the following hypothetical scenario with made up flight times: I'm trying to get from IAH to HNL. Now there's flights every hour between IAH and DFW. But there's only one flight DFW-HNL at 8pm.

I'm wondering if it would be legal to route through DFW with a connection exceeding 4 hours with a 1pm IAH-DFW flight and the 8pm DFW-HNL flight?

By the wording of the rule above, it seems that this would be legal, since 8pm is the "next scheduled flight" to HNL given the 1pm IAH-DFW flight.

However, note that:
1) had I selected a 5pm IAH-DFW flight, then the connection would be under 4 hours. (Note that in practice, this flight might not have award availability, even though it's "scheduled".)
2) I can also route through elsewhere, PHX for example, and made all connections in under 4 hours

The reason I'm even bother asking this is that if the above were *not* legal, then given my plans right now, I'd have to select a roundabout itinerary with 2 connections. Whereas if the above is legal, then I'd be able to select an itinerary with only 1 connection (but exceeding 4 hours) and actually arrive in less time than the itinerary with 2 connections. It seems rather counterintuitive that the connection rule would force me to select a longer itinerary just so I can fit all connections to under 4 hours.
It's all moot, since on an all-AA routing to/from Hawaii, you have up to 18 hours to connect.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Award Routing rules getting MUCH tougher

Today my consistent experience even after HUCA is AA will now longer allow you to go above MPM. Tried to fly MIA-DOH-AMM-TLV. Not allowed since Qatar being over water carrier doesn't publish to TLV. Then tried MIA-LHR-DOH-AMM-TLV and they said I prices out at 97,500 miles in business since it goes over the MPM. He confirmed they are being strict and there is no +25. Supervisor called rate desk to get it to 67500. Rate desk said it must be booked as THrEe awards. Mia-LHR 50K. LHR-DOH 30 K. Then DOH-AMM-TLV all must be on RJ for 30 k. Total 110K plus $491 in taxes. What a joke. Anyone else with these awful experiences ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.