Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:49 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Arrow [Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

I've read contradicting information, so I'm kindly requesting a clarification of the changes on partners awards:
- PHL-SFO on US / SJC-HNL on AS, can it be changed for free to PHL-LAX-HNL on US/AA?

Similarly,

- LIH-SEA on AS / SEA-MIA on AA, can it be changed to LIH-LAX-MIA on AA?

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by B7e7US
I've read contradicting information, so I'm kindly requesting a clarification of the changes on partners awards:
- PHL-SFO on US / SJC-HNL on AS, can it be changed for free to PHL-LAX-HNL on US/AA?

Similarly,

- LIH-SEA on AS / SEA-MIA on AA, can it be changed to LIH-LAX-MIA on AA?

Thanks
No to both.

Switching from an itinerary that involves a non-oneworld partner to an all-oneworld itinerary (or vice versa) incurs the change fee.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by filelover
I have booked award tickets with QR, EY, BA, JL and a few others and have never had issues with the 5 day hold.
What are the requirements to make a hold? Just an account and a call?

How about when you want to book two seats but with two separate AAccounts?

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mlqsko
What are the requirements to make a hold? Just an account and a call?

How about when you want to book two seats but with two separate AAccounts?

Thanks
Depends on what airline partner. Some you can do at aa.com and you don't need to call at all. Just login to each account and there will be a hold and or a purchasevbutton Just did that this Am for some qf flights. What air line and routing are you looking for.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Depends on what airline partner. Some you can do at aa.com and you don't need to call at all. Just login to each account and there will be a hold and or a purchasevbutton Just did that this Am for some qf flights. What air line and routing are you looking for.
EY - AUH-GRU, as an example. You can't search AA for EY flights atm.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Then you will need to call and have an agent look for availability for you.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Europe - South Pacific - permitted connections

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

From the "AA and Partner Airline Award" thread in the pre-merger AA forum:

"Europe to/from South Pacific:

will allow for connections in Singapore or Bangkok only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed.

**this rule may actually be this now:

Award travel between Europe and the South Pacific will allow for connections in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Narita, Osaka or Singapore only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed."
Folks,
I was wondering in my current naive state, what direct / connections constitute in Europe to South Pacific awards?
For example, J class awards for 3 people (as I am looking to book) are not easily found on direct routings such as SYD-SIN-LHR (BA). So I have been searching for separate awards like, SYD-NRT and NRT-LHR. A small complication is we are actually looking for WLG-SYD-NRT-LHR.
If I find availability on this route (for example), but with QF then JL or BA with a connection of less than 24hours (or is that 6hours??), would the route be valid?
I would refine my searching through the gateways noted above (BKK, HKG, NRT, SIN etc).
Just not completely sure that this is construed as a "direct connection" when using two carriers and is less orthodox than traditional connections with a single flight number or carrier?
Want to phone up armed with the correct information and known availability so confirmation of what people believe as the rules and routings permitted would be greatly appreciated...I can of course report back!
cheers
dj
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djsteve
Folks,
I was wondering in my current naive state, what direct / connections constitute in Europe to South Pacific awards?
For example, J class awards for 3 people (as I am looking to book) are not easily found on direct routings such as SYD-SIN-LHR (BA). So I have been searching for separate awards like, SYD-NRT and NRT-LHR. A small complication is we are actually looking for WLG-SYD-NRT-LHR.
If I find availability on this route (for example), but with QF then JL or BA with a connection of less than 24hours (or is that 6hours??), would the route be valid?
I would refine my searching through the gateways noted above (BKK, HKG, NRT, SIN etc).
Just not completely sure that this is construed as a "direct connection" when using two carriers and is less orthodox than traditional connections with a single flight number or carrier?
Want to phone up armed with the correct information and known availability so confirmation of what people believe as the rules and routings permitted would be greatly appreciated...I can of course report back!
cheers
dj

For now, anyway, completely leave out the WLG-SYD portion, will only complicate things and very possibly will need to be on a separate award, so discard that for a moment (obviously you'll try and add it back in once you get the rest lined up.)

You can disregard the specified Asian airports from my old info. I forgot why at the time they names the connection points (the was a reason-- and it was before published fare rule, so maybe that was it) as the current, verbatim rule is:

"Europe to South Pacific may connect in Asia1 or Asia2" Now that is then overplayed with the published fare requirement-- and that can be tricky, but you're routing is pretty non-demanding. Connection time is 24 hours.

Also, note that you can fly SYD-DXB-LHR using Qantas using the single flight # QF flights -and- you can review the availability of those on AA.com.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
For now, anyway, completely leave out the WLG-SYD portion, will only complicate things and very possibly will need to be on a separate award, so discard that for a moment (obviously you'll try and add it back in once you get the rest lined up.)

You can disregard the specified Asian airports from my old info. I forgot why at the time they names the connection points (the was a reason-- and it was before published fare rule, so maybe that was it) as the current, verbatim rule is:

"Europe to South Pacific may connect in Asia1 or Asia2" Now that is then overplayed with the published fare requirement-- and that can be tricky, but you're routing is pretty non-demanding. Connection time is 24 hours.

Also, note that you can fly SYD-DXB-LHR using Qantas using the single flight # QF flights -and- you can review the availability of those on AA.com.
Many thanks. That sounds good, plenty of options presented with Asia.
I presume then, North America connections are not possible?
Eg SYD-DFW-LHR or SYD-LAX-LHR etc?
cheers
dj
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djsteve
Many thanks. That sounds good, plenty of options presented with Asia.
I presume then, North America connections are not possible?
Eg SYD-DFW-LHR or SYD-LAX-LHR etc?
"Europe to South Pacific may connect in Asia1 or Asia2"

Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
You can also look for MH flights via KL.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
What happens when there's a conflict between the exception chart and the most direct routing?

The most direct routing from LHR-PPT would be LHR-LAX-PPT. Would they really force you to do LHR-SIN-SYD-AKL-PPT?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by John_OHST
What happens when there's a conflict between the exception chart and the most direct routing?

The most direct routing from LHR-PPT would be LHR-LAX-PPT. Would they really force you to do LHR-SIN-SYD-AKL-PPT?
Yes.

But if TN publishes a LON-PPT through-fare via CDG, you might be able to book LON-CDG-PPT, since TN's CDG-PPT flight does not require a connection in LAX: it merely makes an intermediate stop there.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:37 am

SYD-DOH-LHR is no good? Is there a rate rule that I can quote them that would allow connections in Doha?

Last edited by Shimon; Jan 25, 2015 at 7:54 am
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by John_OHST

As guv mentioned above, it looks like TN does publish a LHR-CDG-LAX-PPT fare, but it requires AF on the LHR-CDG segment, so that's obviously no good using AA miles. You should be able to book though CDG-LAX-PPT as a single award, as long as you book the through flight, i.e. the same flight number. Take the train to Paris or buy a cheap separate one-way flight to CDG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.