Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Anyone have tips on redeeming in First Class DFW to LED and then RIX back to DFW in March? Could also settle for business if needed. Just trying to avoid BA fuel surcharges on a transcon. All I'm finding on Qantas is a bunch of mixed cabins, and AA is trying to force me to use BA.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by LukeO9
Just out of interest, how many flights can you have under 1 award booking?
I don't think there is a hard limit per direction as long as it complies with routing rules. I have had 5 segments on a one way.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Thats what I want to here.....calling again now....
Yes, the next agent I got found the Air Nostrum flight I wanted, and was bookable. But interestingly, MLN is not considered Europe, even though it is Spanish territory. The booking was considered going into the another continent. No arguments, it looks very much like it is in Africa.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:39 am

Yes, the next agent I got found the Air Nostrum flight I wanted, and was bookable. But interestingly, MLN is not considered Europe, even though it is Spanish territory. The booking was considered going into the another continent. No arguments, it looks very much like it is in Africa.
You're much better off booking this through QFF.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Steven6702
Anyone have tips on redeeming in First Class DFW to LED and then RIX back to DFW in March? Could also settle for business if needed. Just trying to avoid BA fuel surcharges on a transcon. All I'm finding on Qantas is a bunch of mixed cabins, and AA is trying to force me to use BA.
Your only option for first without high fuel surcharges is going through LHR on AA metal. You could then do LHR-HEL-LED, although the fees for the nonstop on BA shouldn't be that high. Note that HEL-LED may be all-economy.

On the return, you'd have to do RIX-HEL-LHR on AY or AY/BA mix, and then LHR-US on AA.

If you're willing to do business, then AY across the pond becomes an option, as well as more AA options.

AA has first on DFW/JFK/ORD/MIA-LHR. AA also flies RDU/PHL/CLT-LHR, but the highest cabin is business.

AY flies JFK/ORD/MIA-HEL. Note that AA has been showing a lot of phantom space on AY lately.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PRO
Quote:

I have successfully booked "IB operated by Air Nostrum" using aadvantage awards in the past, but iirc they were within peninsular Spain.

I did go to Melilla once for the day as well. I was able to get a cheap round trip ticket for something like €150. Even though it is politically part of mainland Spain, it is definitely physically in Africa. So what the agent says makes sense.

Makes me wonder how they treat the Canary Islands for award ticket bookings.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
I have tried similar but also being told 2 awards. My attempt was ZAG-DOH-DXB-SYD with the DXB-SYD on QF. Nope, has to be ZAG-DOH-SYD in order to be one award. Also got shot down by going DOH to AUH then AUH-SYD on EY. Apparently the QR to QR, both segments must be the longer segments in the award, cannot be a short segment like your DOH-VIE, but a DOH-PHL then onto DEN should be one award.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
For N.America <-> Africa you can connect in middle east (using the QR-QR connection) -or- connect in Europe. You cannot do both.
Thanks very much Happy and JonNYC.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by intub8r

I did go to Melilla once for the day as well.... . Even though it is politically part of mainland Spain, it is definitely physically in Africa. So what the agent says makes sense.
Much like Tahiti and Reunion are part of France but flying to either one from anywhere is not the same as flying to France (for many reasons, not just geographical)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Much like Tahiti and Reunion are part of France but flying to either one from anywhere is not the same as flying to France (for many reasons, not just geographical)
How are the Canary Island treated for AA region purposes? Europe or Africa?

Edit: I see that they're Europe (https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...tner-chart.jsp)

Last edited by Animgif; Dec 19, 2015 at 9:52 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Note that MAD-MLN could be had for just 4,500 Avios one-way in Coach.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by intub8r

Makes me wonder how they treat the Canary Islands for award ticket bookings.
Europe.
Will be flying there to LPA on 12/23 and back on 1/3, all on AA award
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Your only option for first without high fuel surcharges is going through LHR on AA metal. You could then do LHR-HEL-LED, although the fees for the nonstop on BA shouldn't be that high. Note that HEL-LED may be all-economy.

On the return, you'd have to do RIX-HEL-LHR on AY or AY/BA mix, and then LHR-US on AA.

If you're willing to do business, then AY across the pond becomes an option, as well as more AA options.

AA has first on DFW/JFK/ORD/MIA-LHR. AA also flies RDU/PHL/CLT-LHR, but the highest cabin is business.

AY flies JFK/ORD/MIA-HEL. Note that AA has been showing a lot of phantom space on AY lately.
That's really helpful, thank you! I see some Z space on AA out to LHR so will probably jump on one of those. As far as then connecting via LHR-HEL-LED, can that be done as one award? e.g. DFW-LHR-HEL-LED? Or would I be limited to a single gateway city and need to book more like DFW-LHR-HEL as one award and a separate one for HEL-LED?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's really helpful, thank you! I see some Z space on AA out to LHR so will probably jump on one of those. As far as then connecting via LHR-HEL-LED, can that be done as one award? e.g. DFW-LHR-HEL-LED? Or would I be limited to a single gateway city and need to book more like DFW-LHR-HEL as one award and a separate one for HEL-LED?
Good question. BA has a thru fare for DFW-LHR-HEL-LED but I don't find one for AA. AA metal DFW-LHR may break this into two awards.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Good question. BA has a thru fare for DFW-LHR-HEL-LED but I don't find one for AA. AA metal DFW-LHR may break this into two awards.
When AA is the over-water carrier, the usual requirement of a published through-fare has typically not applied.

YMMV.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I was just checking that, too. You beat me to it, 3Cforme. It still doesn't hurt to call in and see if it will ticket as one award, but I wouldn't automatically expect it to. Otherwise, the HEL-LED is an additional 10K miles. The alternative is to go with AY, for example DFW-JFK-HEL-LED or DFW-ORD-HEL-LED, which does have a through fare for DFW-LED.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.