Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
Your ticket is only valid one year from the date it was first issued.
So is it one year from august 2015 (when i ticketed it) or 1 year from desember 2015 (the original travel date) ?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rookieflyer22
So is it one year from august 2015 (when i ticketed it) or 1 year from desember 2015 (the original travel date) ?
August 2015
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
August 2015
I am really confused right now, i called aa and was able to change the ticketed booking travel date to november 2016, which is more than a year from august 2015? (I couldnt change it straight to jan 2017 ,my intended date of travel, because its not open yet.)
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

August 2015
I am really confused right now, i called aa and was able to change the ticketed booking travel date to november 2016, which is more than a year from august 2015? (I couldnt change it straight to jan 2017 ,my intended date of travel, because its not open yet.)
Are you sure that your award was ever actually ticketed? Did you ever receive an E-mail with your ticket number? It is not unheard of for there to be long delays from the time you call AA to finalize an award-ticket purchase, and the time that the award ticket is actually issued.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Are you sure that your award was ever actually ticketed? Did you ever receive an E-mail with your ticket number? It is not unheard of for there to be long delays from the time you call AA to finalize an award-ticket purchase, and the time that the award ticket is actually issued.
Yup, can even choose my seats right now on the partner airlines' site.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:39 pm

Yup, can even choose my seats right now on the partner airlines' site.
When checking the booking on aa.com what date does it show for the date ticketed?

Being able to select seats doesn't really mean anything for most carriers
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:53 pm

When checking the booking on aa.com what date does it show for the date ticketed?

Made the call on sunday, got it ticketed on 24th
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:58 pm

If the booking is showing as ticketed 24 december, then should be fine. Be aware that if you try to change it again , you may well not be able to do so without issuing a new award
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Are you saying that the new award was ticketed on 12/24, or that the old award was ticketed on 8/24? It's the date that the old award was ticketed that matters in determining the latest date that you can travel on the award.

If the old award was never ticketed, or was not ticketed until sometime in November, then it's not surprising that you were able to re-book for travel in November, 2016.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by itscooper
... or is there a chance that calling the US hotline will quote lower taxes and fees for the infant?
No.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean you have an award ticket issued in Aug 2015 and then have a reissued ticket on Dec 24 for travel in Nov 2016? Did you get a NEW ticket number? What is shown on the Receipt and Itinerary details?

Unless there is a redeposit and reissue (and free for EXP but $150 for everyone else), this is the first time I read about someone is able to get travel date well beyond the one year mark from the ORIGINAL ticket issuance date.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:07 am

$150 Change Fee?

Recently changed a QF F award Perth>Melb> London to a CX F award Perth>HKG>London.

While the 80k mileage cost was the same, they charged me a $150 change fee as they had to apparently deposit/redeposit the miles.

I thought changes were free if keeping the origin/destination the same, however I came across this;

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...ard-travel.jsp

"For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type"

So they were correct in charging me the $150, however is this new? I havent seen this change mentioned elsewhere.

I'm sure I've changed from QF to CX before on the same award and havent been charged.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by drb1979
Recently changed a QF F award Perth>Melb> London to a CX F award Perth>HKG>London.

While the 80k mileage cost was the same, they charged me a $150 change fee as they had to apparently deposit/redeposit the miles.

I thought changes were free if keeping the origin/destination the same, however I came across this;

"For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type"

So they were correct in charging me the $150, however is this new? I havent seen this change mentioned elsewhere.

I'm sure I've changed from QF to CX before on the same award and havent been charged.
AFAIK the change should have been free. Changing between Oneworld carriers does not incur a charge, even if there needs to be a Reinstate/Claim.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drb1979

Definitely an area of confusion. While -certain- substitutions OW-> OW are explicitly allowed, a short time ago I put together this definitive list of "no fee changes" from internal AA documentation on the subject: (first 2 posts)

http://travelingbetter.vbulletin.net...no-fee-changes

And, you can see "-provided the carrier/governing carrier does not change" is clearly listed as a prerequisite for fee-free change.

Now, a) we know that many members have reported -not- being charged for this (excluding EPs who don't get charged regardless,) and, b) we know of these 2 rules that are hard and fast:

http://travelingbetter.vbulletin.net...lexible?t=4814

BUT, overall, as I mentioned, a bit of a hazy area on this. No question that both the internal AA documentation and the section AA.com you quote do -not- allow for a fee-free change involving change in governing carrier outside of the 2 rules in the link directly above (dropping a segment and substituting a segment OW-> OW.)

For a little while the confusion here was greater as it was being stated, incorrectly, by some here that any award could be changed to any other award as long as O&D remained the same, including non-OW carriers, and it took a long time to correct that misinformation.

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 25, 2015 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely an area of confusion. While -certain- substitutions OW-> OW are explicitly allowed, a short time ago I put together this definitive list of "no fee changes" from internal AA documentation on the subject: (first 2 posts)

http://travelingbetter.vbulletin.net...no-fee-changes

And, you can see "-provided the carrier/governing carrier does not change" is clearly listed as a prerequisite for fee-free change.

Now, a) we know that many members have reported -not- being charged for this (excluding EPs who don't get charged regardless,) and, b) we know of these 2 rules that are hard and fast:

http://travelingbetter.vbulletin.net...lexible?t=4814

BUT, overall, as I mentioned, a bit of a hazy area on this. No question that both the internal AA documentation and the section AA.com you quote do -not- allow for a fee-free change involving change in governing carrier outside of the 2 rules in the link directly above (dropping a segment and substituting a segment OW-> OW.)

For a little while the confusion here was greater as it was being stated, incorrectly, by some here that any award could be changed to any other award as long as O&D remained the same, including non-OW carriers, and it took a long time to correct that misinformation.
Wouldn't OP's change fall under the following bullet point in your list? It is not my understanding that a fee applies if the governing carrier changes, even if the change is from Oneworld to Oneworld.

• Changing One-Way Flex Award segment(s) from a oneworld carrier flight to another oneworld flight and their affiliates
-provided the Origin and Destination airports remain the same, and all oneworld carriers being changed remain oneworld carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.