Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looking to go JFK-NRT-JFK in JAL business or first. I looked up award availability on BA.com for my dates and there is no availability.

My plan is to book a business award JFK-DFW-NRT-DFW-JFK at the current 50k one way price. If I happen to find availability on the direct JFK-NRT-JFK legs, will I be able to change my award without penalty/cost? What if I did LGA-DFW-NRT-DFW-LGA? And if it happens to be first class availability that opens up after March 21st, will I pay the 62.5K price or the 80K price?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Pochama
Looking to go JFK-NRT-JFK in JAL business or first. I looked up award availability on BA.com for my dates and there is no availability.

My plan is to book a business award JFK-DFW-NRT-DFW-JFK at the current 50k one way price. If I happen to find availability on the direct JFK-NRT-JFK legs, will I be able to change my award without penalty/cost? What if I did LGA-DFW-NRT-DFW-LGA? And if it happens to be first class availability that opens up after March 21st, will I pay the 62.5K price or the 80K price?
You can change the routing later to the direct JFK-NRT flight, and as long as there's sAAver availability, you should not be charged a fee (and should be able to keep the pre-March 22 award pricing). If you want to move up from J to F, you will pay the difference in miles from J to F, and you will be subject to the award pricing at the time you make the change (so you'll have to pay up to the new F price if done March 22 onward).

Changing the origin airport will require redeposit/reissue of the ticket, which will incur a fee and be subject to new award pricing if you do it after March 22.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:07 pm

If I wanted to change an award from HND-SFO-LAX to NRT-DFW-LAX, could I do that without incurring change fees? I thought that HND/NRT were considered coterminals, but the AAgent told me that this was an origin change. Is she right?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
If I wanted to change an award from HND-SFO-LAX to NRT-DFW-LAX, could I do that without incurring change fees? I thought that HND/NRT were considered coterminals, but the AAgent told me that this was an origin change. Is she right?
Award tickets do not consider co-terminals. The AAgent is correct.

Origin / Destination are determined by airports, not by cities. You are changing the Origin, hence the fee.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Award tickets do not consider co-terminals. The AAgent is correct.

Origin / Destination are determined by airports, not by cities. You are changing the Origin, hence the fee.
Okay. Thanks for the quick response. I didn't know that. Learn something new.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Exception to routing thru 3rd region

Very interesting - Always learning something new about AA awards.

Previously, I placed this award on hold - the 1st agent even quoted me taxes:

LA634: SCL-LIM
LA2604: LIM-LAX

Note that SCL is in South S America and LIM is in N S America. The 2nd agent tried to ticket this and pointed out it was invalid. - Routing thru 3rd region.

She suggested this, which I couldn't even find on BA.com while we spoke:

LA600: SCL-LIM
LA600: LIM-LAX

Apparently, we don't "change" planes. (Physically we do, and we layover in LIM.)

I hesitated at first, but since I couldn't find it on BA.com, I ticketed it on the spot. Was the agent correct?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eethan
Very interesting - Always learning something new about AA awards.

Previously, I placed this award on hold - the 1st agent even quoted me taxes:

LA634: SCL-LIM
LA2604: LIM-LAX

Note that SCL is in South S America and LIM is in N S America. The 2nd agent tried to ticket this and pointed out it was invalid. - Routing thru 3rd region.

She suggested this, which I couldn't even find on BA.com while we spoke:

LA600: SCL-LIM
LA600: LIM-LAX

Apparently, we don't "change" planes. (Physically we do, and we layover in LIM.)

I hesitated at first, but since I couldn't find it on BA.com, I ticketed it on the spot. Was the agent correct?
Yes, agent was correct. Single flight number makes it allowable.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 15, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:58 pm
alc

Just thought to bump my questions as my first segment is about to open in a few days for AA to book. Hence, want to make sure I fully understand the rules from AA correctly. Thank You.

Originally Posted by alc
Very new in redeeming AA miles, but with the deval coming, thinking of cashing my account now for a CX J. But I have some questions:

- I read that started from Feb 3rd 2015, AA had waived the telephone book fee for flight that you can't book on the AA web site. So my CX tickets will no longer required to pay the booking fee, is that correct?

- Am I correct that there is no stopover with AA? Hence if I do YYZ-HKG-SIN {stop} SIN-HKG {stop} HKG-YYZ in CX J as a single booking, it will be 132.5K (55K + 22.5K + 55K) correct? and since there is no booking fee, it might be better for me to book each separately so I can grab the seats as they become available to AA booking?

- I have no status with AA and from reading the rules, it does seems as long as I am > 21 days, I can make changes to the dates for the same routing for free? Are there any hidden fine-print to this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by alc
Just thought to bump my questions as my first segment is about to open in a few days for AA to book. Hence, want to make sure I fully understand the rules from AA correctly. Thank You.

Originally Posted by alc
Very new in redeeming AA miles, but with the deval coming, thinking of cashing my account now for a CX J. But I have some questions:

- I read that started from Feb 3rd 2015, AA had waived the telephone book fee for flight that you can't book on the AA web site. So my CX tickets will no longer required to pay the booking fee, is that correct?

- Am I correct that there is no stopover with AA? Hence if I do YYZ-HKG-SIN {stop} SIN-HKG {stop} HKG-YYZ in CX J as a single booking, it will be 132.5K (55K + 22.5K + 55K) correct? and since there is no booking fee, it might be better for me to book each separately so I can grab the seats as they become available to AA booking?

- I have no status with AA and from reading the rules, it does seems as long as I am > 21 days, I can make changes to the dates for the same routing for free? Are there any hidden fine-print to this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
No fee for booking CX awards by phone with AA.

No free stopovers with AAdvantage awards.

No fee to change travel dates as long as the new date is at least 21 days after the award's original ticketing date. As long as you satisfy that condition, it does not matter how far in advance of the new travel date you change the award ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:09 pm
alc

Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]No fee for booking CX awards by phone with AA.

No free stopovers with AAdvantage awards.

No fee to change travel dates as long as the new date is at least 21 days after the award's original ticketing date. As long as you satisfy that condition, it does not matter how far in advance of the new travel date you change the award ticket.
Thanks for the quick respond.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
Award booking South Pacific to Europe, via. 2 regions?

Hi all,

Is someone please able to advise if it would be valid to make an award booking via. 2x third regions? I am looking to make an award booking for myself and my partner from South Pacific to Europe and I know that it is possible to route via. the third regions of Asia 1/2 and Middle East (Doha only, provided it is in and out on Qatar Airways)?

I am looking to fly from South Pacific to Europe via. HKG-SIN-DOH but this is pricing up as two awards, to wanted to check if this was a valid routing.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:21 pm
Suspended

it's one or the other, not both
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:26 am
tt7

SWP-EUR is one award, provided you don't stopover enroute. As soon as you have a stopover, it's two (or more) awards.

I'm unclear on what you want to do. Do you simply want to get from SWP-EUR or are you wanting to stopover in HKG, SIN and/or DOH? Even if you don't have a stopover at any of the intermediate points (i.e., you stay less than 24 hours) the routing rules for an award would almost certainly preclude you from having more than one transit point and thus would require two (or more) awards.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
Thanks tt7 and JonNYC for your help, that clarifies things. I was having difficulty trying to find availability between Australia (all QR ports - SYD, MEL and PER) and DOH so was looking to route via Asia 2 to get a good connection into Doha and onwards to Europe. The problem was that it was then pricing as two awards, (South pacific to the middle east via. Asia 2, and Middle East to Europe) so for a o/w flight, it was 150k points instead of 120k.

I think i've managed to find a workable option now, but it took a lot of searching. Bit of a pity that AA is a bit restrictive than the old US Airways, but just something to be aware of and work with really..
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeremykjtan
Thanks tt7 and JonNYC for your help, that clarifies things. I was having difficulty trying to find availability between Australia (all QR ports - SYD, MEL and PER) and DOH so was looking to route via Asia 2 to get a good connection into Doha and onwards to Europe. The problem was that it was then pricing as two awards, (South pacific to the middle east via. Asia 2, and Middle East to Europe) so for a o/w flight, it was 150k points instead of 120k.

I think i've managed to find a workable option now, but it took a lot of searching. Bit of a pity that AA is a bit restrictive than the old US Airways, but just something to be aware of and work with really..
That can not be done in one award. You can either transit Asia1/2, or DOH, cannot be both.

Have you tried to search as O/D instead of city pair? I have an EU to SYD award that the space only shows up as EU - SYD search, and wont show up as EU-DOH, DOH-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.