Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Wouldn't OP's change fall under the following bullet point in your list? It is not my understanding that a fee applies if the governing carrier changes, even if the change is from Oneworld to Oneworld.
It depends on how literally one reads it. And, more importantly, how then reads the bullet a few bullets down:
• Connection city / connection airport changes:

-provided the carrier/governing carrier does not change
But then that comes into potential conflict with some of this, or, at a minimum, the examples don't flesh out a complete change scenario:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14520915433/

ALL THAT SAID, I do believe an strong argument can be made for a no-fee change that is all OneWorld->OneWorld O and D stay the same.

Just wanted to caution the poster against talking everything they read here as gospel (my posts excepted, of course! ) as this really is one of the foggiest portions of this set of rules -and- the public-facing rules on AA.com do NOT support a fee-free change-- only the internal rules (and arguably in some cases) which I have so helpfully provided.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Wouldn't OP's change fall under the following bullet point in your list? It is not my understanding that a fee applies if the governing carrier changes, even if the change is from Oneworld to Oneworld.
It depends on how literally one reads it. And, more importantly, how then reads the bullet a few bullets down:
• Connection city / connection airport changes:

-provided the carrier/governing carrier does not change
But then that comes into potential conflict with some of this, or, at a minimum, the examples don't flesh out a complete change scenario:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14520915433/

ALL THAT SAID, I do believe an strong argument can be made for a no-fee change that is all OneWorld->OneWorld O and D stay the same.

Just wanted to caution the poster against talking everything they read here as gospel (my posts excepted, of course! ) as this really is one of the foggiest portions of this set of rules -and- the public-facing rules on AA.com do NOT support a fee-free change-- only the internal rules (and arguably in some cases) which I have so helpfully provided.
Do we have dates when each of the (apparently conflicting) rules came into force? Is it possible that one effectively overruled -- or at least modified -- the other?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976

Do we have dates when each of the (apparently conflicting) rules came into force? Is it possible that one effectively overruled -- or at least modified -- the other?
S'good question, and one I hadn't thought of, the 2 individual changes are years old, needless to say, were introduced within a few days of me posting them on TB, so those dates are know.

This document was current as of December 2014:
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Could it just be an issue with how a specific agent (mis-)reads the rules?
From the picture Jon posted, it is the agent who needs to supply a "NO" to the computer's query whether a change fee is charged.

Personally I have been ping-ponging an F award from these different itin and none of the agents who touched said a need for $150 fee.
TPE-CX-HKG-KIX-JL-LAX-SFO
TPE-CX-HKG-CX-SFO
TPE-JL-NRT//HND-JL-SFO

Clearly, the governing carrier changes.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geclub1
Could it just be an issue with how a specific agent (mis-)reads the rules?
From the picture Jon posted, it is the agent who needs to supply a "NO" to the computer's query whether a change fee is charged.
Personally, I do believe that is the issue.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:33 pm

Personally, I do believe that is the issue.
Thanks all for your replies. Originally I did ask that the fee get checked and agent put me on hold for some time while checking with Ticketing before coming back and confirming that it applies.

However, today I called again and asked that they check again, after being on hold for a while they confirmed that I should not have been charged the fee due to the change being from one Oneworld carrier to another, so they will ticket the itinerary without the 150 charge.

Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drb1979
Thanks all for your replies. Originally I did ask that the fee get checked and agent put me on hold for some time while checking with Ticketing before coming back and confirming that it applies.

However, today I called again and asked that they check again, after being on hold for a while they confirmed that I should not have been charged the fee due to the change being from one Oneworld carrier to another, so they will ticket the itinerary without the 150 charge.

Thanks.
That's great to hear!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SFO777
I've never found the regional J seats to be uncomfortable, especially on a short 4 hour flight.
It's still way better than any US domestic cabin excluding AA's A321T transcon First.

Some EY A320 pics...
AUH-MLE EY A320 Business Class
AUH-KTM EY A320 Business Class
Not really, as even AA regularly offers either slanted or flat beds on MIA - MCO flights operated by 763 (sometimes AA deploys the new configuration on this route) which are substantially better than the EY A320s with the regional J product.

Further, in the case of EY's competitors to MLE, QR sends A320s with flat beds while EK offers slanted beds in J and even F Suites on select 77W flights.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
China to Australia award via Japan possible?

Is PVG-NRT-SYD possible?

PVG and rest of china is in Asia region 2.
NRT is in Asia region 1.

So you would be transiting a 3rd region going from Asia2 to Australia. Me thinks this is a reasonable routing, but won't fly with AA's arcane routing rules.

In that case, any Asia2 to AU award must fly on CX or Malaysia.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No it is not possible to go via Japan on a single award

For Asia 1 - South Pacific, no transit through a 3rd region is permitted

Qantas also flies between Asia 2 and Australia

Even if it was a permitted routing, there seems to be no JL fare from PVG to SYD anyway
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
Not really, as even AA regularly offers either slanted or flat beds on MIA - MCO flights operated by 763 (sometimes AA deploys the new configuration on this route) which are substantially better than the EY A320s with the regional J product.
That's a pretty oblique example when viewed in the actual context of the comparison that was being made.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
That's a pretty oblique example when viewed in the actual context of the comparison that was being made.
How so? Even if you compare EY's A320 regional J directly to what Emirates and Qatar or even Oman Air are already offering to MLE, EY is still the loser here.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
How so? Even if you compare EY's A320 regional J directly to what Emirates and Qatar or even Oman Air are already offering to MLE, EY is still the loser here.
That's not the portion of your post that I quoted and was specifically addressing.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Depart on next flight but w/ 25 hr stopover?

I'm looking into flying HKG-CNS arriving 06:35. The once daily CNS-AYQ flight leaves at 07:20, so I may need to depart the next day. According to the wiki, this creates a >24 hour stopover which will need two tickets. Any idea:

1) If AA will allow me to book these on one ticket?
2) Is the daily HKG-CNS flight the single international flight into Cairns? - It looks that way from the OW route map.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eethan
I'm looking into flying HKG-CNS arriving 06:35. The once daily CNS-AYQ flight leaves at 07:20, so I may need to depart the next day. According to the wiki, this creates a >24 hour stopover which will need two tickets. Any idea:

1) If AA will allow me to book these on one ticket?
2) Is the daily HKG-CNS flight the single international flight into Cairns? - It looks that way from the OW route map.
You will be able to book it on a through ticket , but it will be priced as 2 awards

There are a few international flights to Caiirms, but not sure of any others that would be applicable to an AA award

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.