Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eethan
I'm looking into flying HKG-CNS arriving 06:35. The once daily CNS-AYQ flight leaves at 07:20, so I may need to depart the next day. According to the wiki, this creates a >24 hour stopover which will need two tickets.
If AYQ is the final destination look for HKG-xxx-AYQ. XXX may be another airport or 2 airports. A quick search gives HKG-SYD-CNS-AYQ and HKG-BNE-CNS-AYQ. (not that efficient!) AYQ has limited services https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport. May be better to go via Alice
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat Ambassador
Asia 2 to Caribbean / Mexico ?

Hey all

I have a question re: redeeming one world partners for Asia 2 to Caribbean / Mexico. Since its the season to be burning miles, Im looking at new places to visit, and I noticed that the old AA chart has the same mileage requirements for North America / Mexico / Caribbean.

Ive done Asia 2 - North America before, with routes such as SIN - HKG - SFO/LAX/JFK - Final destination... but I am unfamiliar with how this will work for Mexico / Caribbean...

Do i just replace the Final destination with mexico / Caribbean - such as SIN - HKG - SFO - MEX; or SIN - HND - SFO - some airport in the caibbean?

Also, what is the stopover policy like? Is it 24 hours ? or 4 hours? And can I do like SIN - HKG - JFK - MIA - MEX/ Caribbean?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The wiki in this thread offers lots of helpful info to cover some of the basic questions you pose.

<link to this forum>

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 27, 2015 at 11:52 am Reason: Redacted link - thanks for helping.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lenardl
Hey all

I have a question re: redeeming one world partners for Asia 2 to Caribbean / Mexico. Since its the season to be burning miles, Im looking at new places to visit, and I noticed that the old AA chart has the same mileage requirements for North America / Mexico / Caribbean.

Ive done Asia 2 - North America before, with routes such as SIN - HKG - SFO/LAX/JFK - Final destination... but I am unfamiliar with how this will work for Mexico / Caribbean...

Do i just replace the Final destination with mexico / Caribbean - such as SIN - HKG - SFO - MEX; or SIN - HND - SFO - some airport in the caibbean?

Also, what is the stopover policy like? Is it 24 hours ? or 4 hours? And can I do like SIN - HKG - JFK - MIA - MEX/ Caribbean?

Thanks!
Some of your questions are discussed in the wiki post at the top of the page here, where we have deleted your cross-post and merged your original post. (We use some master threads and wikis to prevent information fragmentation and facilitate information sharing.)

In particular read about connections (up to 23:59 internationally, no stopovers allowed); MPM - maximum permitted miles; routing restrictions (the principal carrier must offer an unconstructed fare from origin to destination.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If AYQ is the final destination look for HKG-xxx-AYQ. XXX may be another airport or 2 airports. A quick search gives HKG-SYD-CNS-AYQ and HKG-BNE-CNS-AYQ. (not that efficient!) AYQ has limited services https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport. May be better to go via Alice
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll spend 3 days in Cairns, and later take the direct CNS-AYQ flight. Hope the cyclones don't come early next year!

Last edited by eethan; Dec 28, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:21 am

AAdvantage award on Etihad with infant/lap-child

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would definitely recommend calling the Australia office for ticketing. The efficiency is great and will have it dome within 48 hours. If it doesn't get issued in 48 hours , then , unlike the US office which will just keep fobbing you off, the AU desk will call ticketing and get any issue resolved and the ticket issued

The infant will cost up to 20% of the adult fare plus taxes

If using an EY fare it will be 20% of the equiivalent fare. If it has to use a YY fare , then will be 10% of the YY fare. The EY fares have a restriction "must be issued on stock of EY" , so AA could not issue this

Since your routing does not comply with EY routing rules , you will need to use YY fares anyway ( as long as EY allows YY fares ) ( or require end-on-end ticketing for the BA flight )

In Australian Dollars , the adult base YY r/t 1st fare from FRA-MLE/MLE-ZRH is $22,939 , so the infant base fare would be $2294 approx £1,118

( I assume you meant Zurich rather than Zhanjiang )

If EY doesn't permit use of YY fares, then will be more difficult
Thanks for your feedback. I spoke to the Australian AAdvantage desk and they informed me that while they are going to ticket the adult ticket and deduct the miles, Etihad has to issue the infant/lap-child ticket. Can this be done at anytime prior to departure or only while the AAdvantage award ticket is being issued (i.e. next 24-48 hours)?

Also, the first leg FRA-LHR is a British Airways flight. I doubt Etihad can issue a lap-child ticket for this leg as well. Or am I wrong?

At the moment, I have the AA and Etihad Record Locators for the itinerary FRA-LHR-AUH-MLE-ZRH with only one adult but no infant/lap-child. The ticket for the adult is being issued by the Australian desk within 24-48 hours.

Does anyone have experience with this situation and/or have advice what to do? Thank you.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would call another AA office and try about the lap child. It will not be cheap but , as long as EY participates in YY fares, AA should be able to issue the ticket

If EY does not participate, it would seem that you would need to buy a ticket from BA and one from EY --- but you may well find the airline sending you back to AA
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:55 am

I would call another AA office and try about the lap child. It will not be cheap but , as long as EY participates in YY fares, AA should be able to issue the ticket

If EY does not participate, it would seem that you would need to buy a ticket from BA and one from EY --- but you may well find the airline sending you back to AA
Ok, thanks for your prompt reply. Really appreciate it.

Do you think this is a time-sensitive issue, i.e. I should add the lap-child as soon as possible to the itinerary? The trip is only in 10 months and we're considering to leaving our daughter at home if we by then believe that she might be fine staying with family members for a few days.

We just don't want to wait until 1 month before the trip and then be informed by AA or Etihad that the infant/lap-child cannot be added to the itinerary anymore and/or that the costs have doubled... wouldn't take the risk in that case.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:35 am

If it cannot be added , it would be a big issue. If it is a fully flexible fare that is needed, then it will be 100% refundable

With the itinerary spanning airlines, I would want , at least, to make sure that AA can price it out even if I didnt ticket it right away

At least before ticketing, if you need to do something like drop the BA leg and just purchase it, you can save $150 in reissue fees
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Might it be simpler (and perhaps even less expensive) to just purchase another award ticket for your daughter? AA has a sale right now on miles.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Might it be simpler (and perhaps even less expensive) to just purchase another award ticket for your daughter? AA has a sale right now on miles.
There would be the requirement that there is yet another award seat available
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
There would be the requirement that there is yet another award seat available
True.

I have never tried to add an infant to an award ticket, but at least in this case it seems there is a lot of potential for error. I am also remembering another thread not too long ago about a botched infant fare on an award ticket, and that seemed like a much simpler award all on AA metal. I suppose my thinking here in this case is to try to come up with a simple solution--although that may be trying to add the infant as soon as possible and then triple checking everything went through correctly.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:24 pm

Is there a limit on the number of segments on a OW award ticket?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
True.

I have never tried to add an infant to an award ticket, but at least in this case it seems there is a lot of potential for error. I am also remembering another thread not too long ago about a botched infant fare on an award ticket, and that seemed like a much simpler award all on AA metal. I suppose my thinking here in this case is to try to come up with a simple solution--although that may be trying to add the infant as soon as possible and then triple checking everything went through correctly.
Addiing an infant to a booking is normally quite straightforward . Like all bookings, however, do need to keep an eye and make sure that the ticket gets issued

It is no more simple to get an award issued than an infant ticket
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by bg26892
Is there a limit on the number of segments on a OW award ticket?
Pretty sure the limit is 16 segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.