Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Why would you want to stop in phx from iah to lax and stop in iah from lax to Mia? Both of those as directs would be much better than with stops and better planes.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Can't book seats

Hello,

I am trying to book HND-HKG-MLE or NRT-HKG-MLE for a trip next year, both Qantas website and British Airways website are showing 2 seats in both Business Class (NRT & HND on CX and/or JL ) and First Class (HND on CX), however whenever I try calling AA to book, they are saying there is only economy available from both originating airports.

Is there some trick or assumption that I am missing to get the agents to see these seats?

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Drek82
Hello,

I am trying to book HND-HKG-MLE or NRT-HKG-MLE for a trip next year, both Qantas website and British Airways website are showing 2 seats in both Business Class (NRT & HND on CX and/or JL ) and First Class (HND on CX), however whenever I try calling AA to book, they are saying there is only economy available from both originating airports.

Is there some trick or assumption that I am missing to get the agents to see these seats?

Thanks
Try phoning AA's Australian number on +61 2 9101 1948.

There have been issues with AA in the US not seeing award space on EY which is indeed availability. AA's Australian team (based in Fiji) have been able to secure the seats. The problem may well be more widespread. AA is also still showing phantom QF F availability on its website. It seems the system is not so great.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HouFly
hmm I also dont see why CX would care how I get to SFO from IAH, whether via DFW or PHX. btw I already have iah-phx-sfo-hkg on hold. AAgent didnt say anything yesterday.
If you want to search for award routings segment by segment you would do well to have an ExpertFlyer subscription to search for routing rules and carrier restrictions of the overwater carrier between origin and destination airports. You'll need to hope that AAdvantage doesn't more broadly use married segment restrictions, too.

As for why? AA makes its AAdvantage award redemptions rules. Those who are unaware, or blithe to the rules, waste their time.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
If it is AY you definitely can use Avios. If it is Flybe, then BA cannot book it but AA can I believe.
Though I agree the LHR-LED is an easier approach even though the poster has to pay the BA YQ. I still dont understand why AA charges higher YQ on BA intra Europe flights than BA itself.
I guess AA charges real BA's YQ on BA operated flights intra-Europe. Avios themselves put in place the system several years back that instead of BA's YQ on BA operated intra European flights they charge fixed amounts, I think around $27 for LHR departures.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by danger
Try phoning AA's Australian number on +61 2 9101 1948.

There have been issues with AA in the US not seeing award space on EY which is indeed availability. AA's Australian team (based in Fiji) have been able to secure the seats. The problem may well be more widespread. AA is also still showing phantom QF F availability on its website. It seems the system is not so great.
That actually did the trick, should have thought of that sooner since I had to do the same thing for my EY flights, 40 cents later and I have my first Maldives trip booked

Thanks

Drek
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boris10475
I guess AA charges real BA's YQ on BA operated flights intra-Europe. Avios themselves put in place the system several years back that instead of BA's YQ on BA operated intra European flights they charge fixed amounts, I think around $27 for LHR departures.
That is it! Y is $27.50 and J is $44 from the tickets we have used this year, regardless where we flew to.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
so for ex, is this possible on one award: iah-phx-lax-nrt-sin-kul (5 segments)
or kul-cgk-nrt-lax-iah-mia (again 5 segments)?

thanks!
If the agent can price it for 67,500 miles then yes. Your return should be ok, but you might have to check MPM (KUL-CGK-NRT is not that big of a detour and I've ticketed KUL-CGK-NRT-LAX before).

With AA's routing rules and limited partners in Asia, you'll find it hard to max out segments (you can connect in and out of NRT/HND, HKG, KUL, CMB and throw in some odd 5th freedom routes, you can probably add BKK, TPE, ICN to the list).

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No.
CX's routing rules will allow only

IAH-ORD-HKG-KUL
IAH-DFW-LAX/SFO/YVR-HKG-KUL
IAH-LAX/SFO-HKG-KUL

plus the HKG-KUL will need to be on CX or KA ; MH is not permitted
I don't believe this is correct. CX and JL goes by MPM (it goes by routing if you are looking for cheap Y fares, but for flexible J/F fares, it's MPM for US-KUL). I've flown US-KUL a few times and I've flown via a few Asian cities before and not on CX on my final leg to KUL.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:57 pm

Post Europe (FRA, LHR or ZRH) to the Maldives with AAdvantage

Hello AAdvantage experts,

While I read a lot about people redeeming miles from the US to the Maldives, I haven't found any success story of people redeeming AAdvantage miles from Europe (FRA, LHR or ZRH) to the Maldives.

I am not so familiar with AA's routing rules. Is it possible to redeem 40k miles for F to travel from Europe to the Maldives? Or would I have to redeem two separate awards since there seems to be no direct route?

With US Airways, it would have probably been possible to fly FRA-HKG-MLE, but I'm sure that won't be possible with American Airlines. At least not according to their two approaches of "no third region" and "most direct routing".

Thanks in advance for your input/help or clarification
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
If the agent can price it for 67,500 miles then yes. Your return should be ok, but you might have to check MPM (KUL-CGK-NRT is not that big of a detour and I've ticketed KUL-CGK-NRT-LAX before).

With AA's routing rules and limited partners in Asia, you'll find it hard to max out segments (you can connect in and out of NRT/HND, HKG, KUL, CMB and throw in some odd 5th freedom routes, you can probably add BKK, TPE, ICN to the list).

I don't believe this is correct. CX and JL goes by MPM (it goes by routing if you are looking for cheap Y fares, but for flexible J/F fares, it's MPM for US-KUL). I've flown US-KUL a few times and I've flown via a few Asian cities before and not on CX on my final leg to KUL.
thanks for the heads up bud. this sounds more in line with what I was thinking. because it makes sense esp on F awards. we arent talking about the cheapest, restricted, handbag-only fares lol.

true MPM is a bit tricky. wonder how much more lenient they are over the extra 25% slack? even if AAgent is able to price it for the right miles, will it get ticketed?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please start by reading the wiki post at the top of the page.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Is it possible to redeem 40k miles for F to travel from Europe to the Maldives?"

Yes: call AA and ask for award space on EY or QR. Some reports here on FT indicate that AA's Australia Reservations office (phone 61 2-9101-1948) has an easier time booking available EY award space than other AA Reservations offices.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by itscooper
Hello AAdvantage experts,

While I read a lot about people redeeming miles from the US to the Maldives, I haven't found any success story of people redeeming AAdvantage miles from Europe (FRA, LHR or ZRH) to the Maldives.

I am not so familiar with AA's routing rules. Is it possible to redeem 40k miles for F to travel from Europe to the Maldives? Or would I have to redeem two separate awards since there seems to be no direct route?

With US Airways, it would have probably been possible to fly FRA-HKG-MLE, but I'm sure that won't be possible with American Airlines. At least not according to their two approaches of "no third region" and "most direct routing".

Thanks in advance for your input/help or clarification
No OW carrier offers F service on that entire route.
You can fly for 30K AA miles on UL (via CMB) or EY (via AUH) or QR (via DOH) from LHR or QR FRA-DOH-MLE (if redeemed before 3/22/16). Afterwards the J award will be 42.5K AA miles.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
true MPM is a bit tricky. wonder how much more lenient they are over the extra 25% slack? even if AAgent is able to price it for the right miles, will it get ticketed?
I am pretty sure KUL-CGK-NRT-US is under MPM. 25% MPM is *a lot*.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Is it possible to redeem 40k miles for F to travel from Europe to the Maldives?"

Yes: call AA and ask for award space on EY or QR. Some reports here on FT indicate that AA's Australia Reservations office (phone 61 2-9101-1948) has an easier time booking available EY award space than other AA Reservations offices.
Yes, I have done this many times even on EY A380 flights for 40K. However, EY never offers F to MLE; currently EK is the only carrier that offers F to MLE and on select flights only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.