Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Much less what AA will work out with partners. And SH (Sharp Airlines) is not an AA partner I'm aware of, so I'm a bit confused over your actual flight plans.
Pretty sure OP means:

LH - longhaul (not Lufthansa)
SH - shorthual (not Sharp Airlines)

But confusing to be sure.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I am looking at using AA Business MileSAAver awards to a trip where I would fly the LH in J, and since there is no J on the SH connecting flight, I would be willing to downgrade cabin of service for that segment. Problem, no Y available, only PE. AA can't downgrade to the PE cabin using AA J awards, even though they are available to other OW carriers using their award currency.

I sure hope this changes soon.

Rant over..
Not that it helps, but to the AA system, PE doesn't exist. So not a downgrade issue, the AA system simply cannot see PE availability. Hopefully AA will join the rest of OW and add PE awards.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
Pretty sure OP means:

LH - longhaul (not Lufthansa)
SH - shorthual (not Sharp Airlines)

But confusing to be sure.
Correct..
Old May 22, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
Not that it helps, but to the AA system, PE doesn't exist. So not a downgrade issue, the AA system simply cannot see PE availability. Hopefully AA will join the rest of OW and add PE awards.
That's a wish that goes hand-in-hand with eliminating Y-J SWUs (full OW alignment means upgrades go from Y-W, or W-J)...

Would I wish for PE redemption opportunities if that meant eliminating Y-J SWUs? Probably not; I guess this is likely a choice that would pit the interests of EXPs against PLT/GLD members.

The other question is if PE redemption opportunities did exist, would they be a reasonable use of miles in terms of cpm. All depends on pricing of course but my bet is that they would not be as efficient a use of miles (i.e. closer to Y redemption value than J redemption value)
Old May 22, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by scnzzz
That's a wish that goes hand-in-hand with eliminating Y-J SWUs (full OW alignment means upgrades go from Y-W, or W-J)...

Would I wish for PE redemption opportunities if that meant eliminating Y-J SWUs? Probably not; I guess this is likely a choice that would pit the interests of EXPs against PLT/GLD members.

The other question is if PE redemption opportunities did exist, would they be a reasonable use of miles in terms of cpm. All depends on pricing of course but my bet is that they would not be as efficient a use of miles (i.e. closer to Y redemption value than J redemption value)
^ All good points.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
are there any revised seatmaps or seat counts by class for the PE retrofit aircraft (other than the 789)? I see on AAs schedule they're starting the 772s in June, I would expect the plan to be known by now. Maybe I missed this.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Is the recline on AA PEY worse than CX PEY? Having flown both, I feel like I prefer CX's product but I can't quite put my finger on why. AA should be superior, just looking at the specs: leather seats vs cloth, better food on AA (my opinion), and my preference flying on a 788 vs 77W.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I read on The Points Guy today that PEY of the AA B772 will be 24 seats in three rows - 2-4-2 configuration. These flights will offer PEY for purchase as of 12/15/2017.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by CLTRob
I read on The Points Guy today that PEY of the AA B772 will be 24 seats in three rows - 2-4-2 configuration. These flights will offer PEY for purchase as of 12/15/2017.
Interesting development of the story. Between L2 and L3, there are 12 rows of Y (on the right window side, 5 MCE and 6 Y) at the moment, and this part will be replaced into 11 rows (3 PEY, 3 MCE and 5 Y). Losing one row makes sense with additional cabin partitioning and roomier PEY.

Between L3 and L4, there are 13 (window) rows of Y. Without losing any seat, 2 additional rows (3 for the middle block) will become MCE. That means less pitch. Current Y pitch is 31-32 according to the seatguru and AA website. Will it become 30-31"?

Above observation is from NRT-DFW at late December. JFK departures don't show PEY 772s as of yet. Wonder if AA will reduce J from 45 to 37 to unify configuration or not.

Edit: 789 is already 30-31. So this movement will only make it 'fair'.

Last edited by bobbybrown; May 30, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is the recline on AA PEY worse than CX PEY? Having flown both, I feel like I prefer CX's product but I can't quite put my finger on why. AA should be superior, just looking at the specs: leather seats vs cloth, better food on AA (my opinion), and my preference flying on a 788 vs 77W.
Yes it is definitely worse than CX. I have flown both products within days of each other and would fly the older 777 and A330 CX seats any day over the new AA one, which I will actively avoid. I do agree that the food is better on AA, but that is far less important to me than some decent sleep. My guess is AA made the recline suck so as to make sure potential J sales did not become PE sales instead.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some OMNIesque and dilatory content, along with replies and discussion about those, have been removed to keep this thread on topic.

/Moderator
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How can I buy PEY on just one segment? For example, I'm looking at LAX-MIA-EZE in Jan 2018. PEY is available on the MIA-EZE since it's on a 772. However, when I choose PEY during the booking process, it puts me in full fare economy (Y) on the LAX-MIA flight where PEY doesn't exist. This results in a significantly higher price.

When I look at a regular economy ticket, the LAX-MIA books into discount economy (L). Am I able to book LAX-MIA in L and MIA-EZE in W?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by dciolli
How can I buy PEY on just one segment? For example, I'm looking at LAX-MIA-EZE in Jan 2018. PEY is available on the MIA-EZE since it's on a 772. However, when I choose PEY during the booking process, it puts me in full fare economy (Y) on the LAX-MIA flight where PEY doesn't exist. This results in a significantly higher price.

When I look at a regular economy ticket, the LAX-MIA books into discount economy (L). Am I able to book LAX-MIA in L and MIA-EZE in W?

Have you tried checking the PE price for MIA-EZE RT separately? What do you get?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by dciolli

It seems the combinations are W+Y or P+H, so booking into Y seems correct if through fare is W
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Have you tried checking the PE price for MIA-EZE RT separately? What do you get?
Yes. The RT price for LAX-MIA-EZE-MIA-LAX is $1459 in economy and $2454 in PEY (Y+W). The RT for just MIA-EZE-MIA is $1455 in economy and $1892 in PEY.

It seems that I'm paying significantly more because the domestic leg is booking into Y.

I will probably book the cheapest flight and then call in about upfaring just the MIA-EZE-MIA segments. If that isn't possible, I will take my chances with SWUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.