Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:14 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
People seem to think that PE redemptions might also come with changes to upgrade rules (and maybe even award chart increases to premium cabin awards ), so perhaps the longer it takes the better? ;-)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
People seem to think that PE redemptions might also come with changes to upgrade rules (and maybe even award chart increases to premium cabin awards ), so perhaps the longer it takes the better? ;-)
Most definitely something to be said for that line of thinking.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just curious - how do AA's PEY seats compare to - say - CX's? Just from the picture looks like AA's don't recline as much, but hard to say.

Originally Posted by dw
Sigh - we are due for another unannounced deval are't we? Glad we burned off some miles when we had the chance! Personally as long as PEY is priced reasonably and one can still upgrade discount PEY to J for the same miles+copay rates, I'd be ok with it. Might be in the minority here though so I get that.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just curious - how do AA's PEY seats compare to - say - CX's? Just from the picture looks like AA's don't recline as much, but hard to say.
I can't compare it to CX, but I can compare it to JL.

The JL seat is the easy winner. Mainly because the seat is a shell, and therefore the seat in front of you does not recline into your pitch space at all. It's incredibly spacious. It is listed at 42" of pitch, vs. AA's 38". But, again, when you recline the AA seat, your pitch is cut way back.

I was very surprised at how far the JL seat reclined. I think it's more than AA's, because it slides /articulates forward to recline vs. just reclining back.

Also, the JL seat is cloth. Much more comfortable, IMO.

JL is behind on the soft service, though. It's just a Y service in PY, basically. AA's drink / meal service is better.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
AA's drink / meal service is better.
It's not often you get to read/write those words!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
It's not often you get to read/write those words!
Lol. No joke. ^
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't compare it to CX, but I can compare it to JL.

The JL seat is the easy winner. Mainly because the seat is a shell, and therefore the seat in front of you does not recline into your pitch space at all. It's incredibly spacious.
That's interesting, because that's the case with the AF PE seat, and a lot of people seem to hate that seat. (And certainly the fixed shell economy seat on CX was a disaster).

It is listed at 42" of pitch, vs. AA's 38".
Well, obviously that's a key consideration!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
JL is behind on the soft service, though. It's just a Y service in PY, basically. AA's drink / meal service is better.
You better delete this part...we don't want to give Doug Parker any ideas on what more to cut
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by scnzzz
My guess is that a devaluation long term would feel less impactful if dosed out in stages. Hence my speculation (freely admitted that I have no basis in fact or insight to back it up, and I'd love to be proven wrong and to hear that this isn't going to be the case from someone like you) that USdbaAA, in a less competitive, less over-capacity air travel market, is slowly boiling the frog. And going from 8 to 4 SWUs is the heat level set at simmer, with the boil setting to come in the next year or so.

Obviously nothing I can do about it except take my business elsewhere (there is GS-level spend going to UA from me these days - that could have gone to AA)...but I have no faith or expectations in the current management team that they will use the FF program as a competitive value proposition to attract flyers.
I just talked to AA about something odd I saw on some flights (DFW-HKG) - no upgrades offered. I called the EXP desk to inquire and the person I spoke with said that even though there were lots of seats, none would be offered as upgrades (using systemwides), but you could waitlist. Maybe score a battlefield upgrade at the gate (as all of mine have been as of late). She went on to say that when PE is up and running, systemwides will take you up "one class of service" i.e., up to PE, not Business. I flew in a new PE seat (DFW-GRU), and the pitch sucks. Not a huge amount better than MCE to tell the truth, and certainly not worth the $600-$700 they are charging. If they really devalue the systemwide upgrades that much, then I'll switch to United. Unless they give lifetime PltPro @ 3 million miles. I'll hit that, then switch to United.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by PolarRoute
She went on to say that when PE is up and running, systemwides will take you up "one class of service" i.e., up to PE, not Business.
She is incorrect, and should read her employer's statement on this.

I flew in a new PE seat (DFW-GRU), and the pitch sucks. Not a huge amount better than MCE to tell the truth, and certainly not worth the $600-$700 they are charging. If they really devalue the systemwide upgrades that much, then I'll switch to United. Unless they give lifetime PltPro @ 3 million miles. I'll hit that, then switch to United.
I wouldn't say the pitch "sucks", as 38" pitch is basically the standard in PY products. But, I do agree that it could be better. JL has 42", e.g., with a shell so your pitch stays at 42" no matter what position your seat - or the seat in front of you - is in. ^
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PolarRoute
I just talked to AA about something odd I saw on some flights (DFW-HKG) - no upgrades offered. I called the EXP desk to inquire and the person I spoke with said that even though there were lots of seats, none would be offered as upgrades (using systemwides), but you could waitlist.
The explanation you were given doesn't make any sense.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Sounds like either the agent explained in incorrectly, or the poster misunderstood it.

Looks like it went the way it normally does. No C inventory available, so no upgrades available, thus waitlist.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I assume that expecting any explanation of revenue management policies/practices from a reservations agent to make sense is just folly.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just flew my first AA PEY. I was disappointed by the recline and comfort. AA's (fake?) leather felt less comfortable than CX's cloth seats. Without knowing how to compare the two, it's possible the recline is very similar, but I had a less comfortable time sleeping.

Food was great--the quinoa for breakfast looked awful but ended up tasting surprisingly good. Service delivery was not so pleasant--I got the sense FAs were doing me a favor doing service. (e.g. I'll check to see if I can get you some water, in the middle of the flight)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Food was great--the quinoa for breakfast looked awful but ended up tasting surprisingly good. Service delivery was not so pleasant--I got the sense FAs were doing me a favor doing service. (e.g. I'll check to see if I can get you some water, in the middle of the flight)
It's documented that there are less FA per pax on the 789 planes, which is why you experienced a not so pleasant delivery of service.

It's noticeably slower in J, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.