Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold
FYI, just got this email from AA:

"Experience Premium Economy
For as low as $200
Premium Economy
Thank you for purchasing a ticket from ICN to DFW for travel on 7/9/2017.

For a limited time, move into Premium Economy for as low as $200. Call reservations at 800-433-7300 to book your seat.

Premium Economy is our newest class of service between Flagship® Business and Main Cabin. It features:
Wider seats and an amenity kit
An enhanced meal and complimentary drinks
Priority boarding
1.5 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) per mile flown"

Calling later to see if I can actually get it for $200, if so would be a great deal.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by OKCtraveler
FYI, just got this email from AA:

"Experience Premium Economy
For as low as $200
Premium Economy
Thank you for purchasing a ticket from ICN to DFW for travel on 7/9/2017."

Calling later to see if I can actually get it for $200, if so would be a great deal.
They mean $200 each way, and that is a sale price. I just priced DFW-GRU-DFW.

$1695 economy, $2357 PE for the round trip.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, Priority Club PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by PolarRoute
They mean $200 each way, and that is a sale price. I just priced DFW-GRU-DFW.

$1695 economy, $2357 PE for the round trip.
I got the same e-mail today (I'm booked DFW-ICN in late May) though it said "as low as $100". Haven't called yet. I'm also on the waitlist for the upgrade to business using a SWU. I doubt I get the money back if my upgrade clears. I do wonder if paying now would bump my priority up on the list.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by clanum
I got the same e-mail today (I'm booked DFW-ICN in late May) though it said "as low as $100". Haven't called yet. I'm also on the waitlist for the upgrade to business using a SWU. I doubt I get the money back if my upgrade clears. I do wonder if paying now would bump my priority up on the list.
(red mine)

Great question. I would think PE would be prioritized over E because you paid more, even if purchased later. But that is just a guess.

And I agree, I think zero chance you get your money back for the paid upgrade to PE. But, if it gets you a higher priority to Business, you could probably justify it in your head.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Lol. I just called in, and was told that because there was a Korean Air connection post-ICN to HKG, it would cost $3,600 per ticket to upgrade the DFW-ICN segment to PE, even leaving the ICN-HKG segment the same because of issues in coding between the two carriers. I might as well have just bought business class tickets.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
(red mine)

Great question. I would think PE would be prioritized over E because you paid more, even if purchased later. But that is just a guess.

And I agree, I think zero chance you get your money back for the paid upgrade to PE. But, if it gets you a higher priority to Business, you could probably justify it in your head.
When AA issued the statement saying they would still allow Y -> J (skipping PY), they did not note any priority for PY over Y ticketed pax.

However, I do hope that now they have started selling PY, they issue clarification on this ASAP.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
When AA issued the statement saying they would still allow Y -> J (skipping PY), they did not note any priority for PY over Y ticketed pax.

However, I do hope that now they have started selling PY, they issue clarification on this ASAP.
I agree they should clarify, but, because the fare code is 'higher' for PE, wouldn't that put them ahead of all Y upgrading passengers?

Looking at the chart...

Full First/Business = F,J
Discount First/Business = A,D,I,R
PE = W,P
Economy = Y
Economy = H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O
Basic Economy = B

If you were in PE, you seem to be above all Economy
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The price difference is just not worth it in my view. Moreover, if you will need to burn a systemwide to get from MCE to PE, forget about it. I will actively avoid routes where there is PE and use the paltry 4 systemwide upgrades we EXPs now get for a real upgrade. It was fine when I could get the PE seat for nothing as an EXP, and if AA continues with the complimentary upgrade for EXP (100 hours before departure is fine), that will be OK. But if it turns into a mechanism to lower the value of the systemwide upgrades (especially as the number of routes with PE increases), I'll reconsider whether if there is any value left in being EXP as opposed to PLT-Pro or even regular PLT (which I have for life anyway). I might just shift my flying back to United and hit another million miles and get their PLT for life, which would be a better deal than what AA provides.
AA said SWU can still be used to upgrade economy to business, even if premium economy is available.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
I agree they should clarify, but, because the fare code is 'higher' for PE, wouldn't that put them ahead of all Y upgrading passengers?

Looking at the chart...

Full First/Business = F,J
Discount First/Business = A,D,I,R
PE = W,P
Economy = Y
Economy = H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O
Basic Economy = B

If you were in PE, you seem to be above all Economy
I definitely think there should be a priority for PY over Y upgrades with SWU's. And I think that will be the case. But AA hasn't made that explicit yet. That's all. ^

Also, there's conflicting info on whether Y fares are prioritized for SWU's over discount economy fares like S, O, L, etc. It used to be very clear on the PALL list order, but it's not anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA saidAA said SWU can still be used to upgrade economy to business, even if premium economy is available.
IF true, that would be a good thing. Otherwise there might be an EXP riot!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:06 pm

IF true, that would be a good thing. Otherwise there might be an EXP riot!
It is true. AA confirmed.

CK and EXPs will be get complimentary upgrades to PY from Y at T24 if the space is available, also.

Link: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...my-upgrades-2/
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

CK and EXPs will be get complimentary upgrades to PY from Y at T24 if the space is available, also.

I do wonder how long this will last. By mid 2018 all widebodies should have PEY installed. At that point, under current management, a devaluation seems imminent (perhaps salved over by a increase back to 6 or 8 SWU lites for making EXP).

Right now it seems prudent to maintain the Y-J path (acknowledging that (IMO) many who can will buy PEY, thereby really limiting the extent to which Y-J upgrades on PEY-equipped aircraft will actually happen)...just so someone doesn't get caught out by an equipment swap as the 772, 77W, 33x and 78x fleet gets updated).

But once PEY is universal - to me that change to eliminate Y-J SWU seems inevitable. In fact the reduction from 8-4 SWUs almost seems to presage this.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by scnzzz
But once PEY is universal - to me that change to eliminate Y-J SWU seems inevitable. In fact the reduction from 8-4 SWUs almost seems to presage this.
I agree. I had felt they would keep Y -> J (skipping PY) this year... because they hacked SWU's from 8 to 4. To cut them in half and then deal the blow of no more Y to J upgrades would have been a tough double-punch to the gut.

But I think it's inevitable you'll have to buy PY to use SWU to J once the fleet has more PY, definitely.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

notice they confirmed that "for now" SWUs are good for Y->J. That language makes me think that at some point this might change.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scnzzz
...But once PEY is universal - to me that change to eliminate Y-J SWU seems inevitable. In fact the reduction from 8-4 SWUs almost seems to presage this.
I can't see the logic in that connection.

Originally Posted by ryan182
notice they confirmed that "for now" SWUs are good for Y->J. That language makes me think that at some point this might change.
Agreed.

...But I think it's inevitable you'll have to buy PY to use SWU to J once the fleet has more PY, definitely.
Just as easy to wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.