Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dciolli
Yes. The RT price for LAX-MIA-EZE-MIA-LAX is $1459 in economy and $2454 in PEY (Y+W). The RT for just MIA-EZE-MIA is $1455 in economy and $1892 in PEY.

It seems that I'm paying significantly more because the domestic leg is booking into Y.

I will probably book the cheapest flight and then call in about upfaring just the MIA-EZE-MIA segments. If that isn't possible, I will take my chances with SWUs.
If you want to upgrade the fare, it will be upgraded to the $2454 since it is a LAX-EZE r/t fare.

You cannot combine the fares since AA's rules on MIA-EZE lowest premium economy fares state that END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC FARES WITHIN UNITED STATES.

You could do it by buying 2 separate tickets if you are happy with the restrictions that will give

Looking at the fare listing from EF, the lowest LAX-EZE premium economy fare seems to be about $400 more than the MIA-EZE r/t fare; the extra $200 may be due to availability

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 3, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you want to upgrade the fare, it will be upgraded to the $2454 since it is a LAX-EZE r/t fare.

You cannot combine the fares since AA's rules on MIA-EZE lowest premium economy fares state that END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC FARES WITHIN UNITED STATES.

You could do it by buying 2 separate tickets if you are happy with the restrictions that will give

Looking at the fare listing from EF, the lowest LAX-EZE premium economy fare seems to be about $400 more than the MIA-EZE r/t fare; the extra $200 may be due to availability
Thanks Dave!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by dciolli
In the comments of the article, JT made the following statement:

On the "complimentary same-day upgrades": An AA spokesperson has confirmed to me that this is NOT the case now or the plan to add this. I expressed that I was very disappointed in this. Lots of undersold PE cabins since May 4. Seems PE is turning into a nonrev cabin.

Does anyone else have information about this? It seems to be contradictory to what we've been led to believe.
Such "same-day EXP upgrades" certainly aren't happening as I anticipated. What I was told today (FWIW) is they "sometimes" do upgrades to PE but this is handled centrally and usually by phone call, and that the remote stations (CDG, MAD, ...) have no ability to do it. There is no "list" to be put on.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
^ Correct, to my knowledge as well.

I have an EXP friend who called EXP line T24 from his DFW-MAD last Friday (2 June) and requested PY for him and his non-status companion. They were both given PY seats complimentary.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I was on a flight 3 weeks ago from ICN to DFW.

The Premium Economy Section was empty.

I asked at the gate if I could upgrade and was told no. So the plane flew from ICN to DFW with 21 seats empty.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by jsintexas
I was on a flight 3 weeks ago from ICN to DFW.

The Premium Economy Section was empty.

I asked at the gate if I could upgrade and was told no. So the plane flew from ICN to DFW with 21 seats empty.
This sounds just completely ridiculous. Borderline absurd. AA really needs to get its act together and fast.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
This sounds just completely ridiculous. Borderline absurd. AA really needs to get its act together and fast.
Not really sure I understand that reaction, personally speaking.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:37 pm

I think it was bizarre that AA at 1st looked at giving away PE to those with status. How is it any more absurd to not give away access to the premium economy cabin than it is to not give away access to the business cabin?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not really sure I understand that reaction, personally speaking.
You and I almost universally agree in our sentiments on this board and I always respect your insights. You know I keep things in perspective. Is this absolute absurdity as in charging for water or some of the other bone headed decisions that have been made by certain management teams in the past? Clearly not.

BUT

To have an entire cabin go empty on a flight? When people are asking to upgrade into it? I'm EXP and I would pay to upgrade into PEY. To still have no option to access this cabin, or for AA to monetize a product that it's spent millions to develop, is ridiculous. My reaction MAY be a result of my prior expectation of receiving the free same day upgrades to PEY, but I would also be willing to pay for it too. To have no means to access an entire cabin, and sending it out empty, is just silly. You don't agree that this inconsistency is a little crazy?

Airlines today are constantly looking for ways to monetize everything. To be this far along into the PEY product launch and to have cabins going out completely empty is silly. Or worse, filled with non-revs. When MCE rolled out, there were systems in place, whether at POS or at checkin, at the gate, etc, that immediately capitalized on the new revenue potential.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Jun 5, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:24 pm

You can pay for it - just need to pay the fare difference between economy and premium economy. Since this is a cabin upgrade, there is no change fee to pay
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
To be this far along into the PEY product launch and to have cabins going out completely empty is silly. Or worse, filled with non-revs. When MCE rolled out, there were systems in place, whether at POS or at checkin, at the gate, etc, that immediately capitalized on the new revenue potential.
Agree 100%. At a minimum, you'd think there would mechanisms in place to offer LFBUs or ~$250 airport upgrades into empty PE cabins. To be flying this cabin empty (or entirely consisting of non-revs) seems absurd.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Agree 100%. At a minimum, you'd think there would mechanisms in place to offer LFBUs or ~$250 airport upgrades into empty PE cabins. To be flying this cabin empty (or entirely consisting of non-revs) seems absurd.

-FlyerBeek
Conversely, making the cabin known to be available on the cheap will help encourage people to rely on that rather than actually booking premium economy

It is a new product - it may just take a while for people to start really booking it

It is quite different to MCE , since MCE is still part of economy class
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Conversely, making the cabin known to be available on the cheap will help encourage people to rely on that rather than actually booking premium economy

It is a new product - it may just take a while for people to start really booking it

It is quite different to MCE , since MCE is still part of economy class
True, but AA also has no problem monetizing empty business class seats in the form of LFBUs and check-in type day of departure upgrades. Seems like they certainly have the capability of doing the same with PE, unless there's been a specific decision made not to do so in the case of PE.

I'm possibly flying on a AA 789 flight later this week. There are currently 2 seats occupied in the PE cabin yet the cost difference is more than double the cheapest Y fare. I cannot image there will be too many takers at that price differential.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:30 am

You can pay for it - just need to pay the fare difference between economy and premium economy. Since this is a cabin upgrade, there is no change fee to pay
Doesn't work for award tickets, though, since AA doesn't have a PE award.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:13 pm

Premium Economy to Sydney (when?)

When will Premium Economy be availble for booking / sale on AA's flights to Sydney? Will AA be offering better catering than the Y service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.