Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
My first AA PE flight tomorrow. I had choices for any seats for my wife and I, and selected the bulkhead ones due to the leg rests. Hope the proximity to the lavs isn't going to be too much of an issue, but we'll find out.
The bulkhead footrests are terrible. YMMV, but I would move.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
It seems all my flights between LAX-TYO are now 787-9 from 1/9/2018.
I had to change my seats...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: alaska
My first AA PE flight tomorrow. I had choices for any seats for my wife and I, and selected the bulkhead ones due to the leg rests. Hope the proximity to the lavs isn't going to be too much of an issue, but we'll find out.

I was able to pre-select my meals, so at least I know what to expect on that front, but looking forward (kind of) to find out what the complete package entails. Will report back.

The good news is we'll have a chance to enjoy the QF F lounge in LAX for a few hours beforehand, so we'll be well pampered before the flight
Please let us know how it goes!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
Most "reviews" say the opposite, that the extending footrests in bulkhead are ideal, vs the dropdown ones on the other seats. Reason for difference of opinion?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by gdam22
Most "reviews" say the opposite, that the extending footrests in bulkhead are ideal, vs the dropdown ones on the other seats. Reason for difference of opinion?
1. they are not strong enough to actually hold the weight of your legs. At least for me, at 165lbs.

2. I find they don't actually give much "rest", as my legs still touch the ground and then only end up being some minor level of calf support

3. putting your feet on the extended part to prop them up and rest your knees doesn't allow your knees to extend as far as if you used the drop-down foot rest in the rows behind you

Again, YMMV. I enjoy the dropdown ones because you can put more pressure on them and slouch into the seat in more of a true Z rest position.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:22 am

Didn't see this in the thread, and updated the Wiki with it included... but here is a review of the N781AN (772) PY cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/aa-...conomy-review/
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I read that Exc Platinum will get PE at the airport if there is any seat available/left (where the PE routes are available for sale) which I know is not an official benefit yet, but can anyone tell me if companion on the same PNR will get this benefit?

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
I read that Exc Platinum will get PE at the airport if there is any seat available/left (where the PE routes are available for sale) which I know is not an official benefit yet, but can anyone tell me if companion on the same PNR will get this benefit?

Thanks
An EXP friend of mine was given a complimentary upgrade to PE inside 24 hours on DFW-MAD in June, and his traveling companion was as well. And the companion was on a separate PNR, though linked.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

I was able to pre-select my meals, so at least I know what to expect on that front, but looking forward (kind of) to find out what the complete package entails. Will report back.

The good news is we'll have a chance to enjoy the QF F lounge in LAX for a few hours beforehand, so we'll be well pampered before the flight
Please let us know how it goes!
Quick impressions before I forget.

I found the leg rests just fine. I'm 5"'10', and around 190lbs (all dense muscle ), and they supported me fine. I can sleep through anything, but even my wife sitting in the window seat didn't get too disturbed by the galley and lavatory noises.

We got a glass of cheap bubbly as a pre-departure drink. Same as in J, so hard to complain.

Food was OK, and all plated at once, but at least in real chine. One of the FA's came along halfway through the service to offer salad dressing, as she had forgotten it earlier, but they all said they were new this cabin, so not very well practiced.

What was very displeasing was that all the drinks throughout the flight were served in plastic cups. Nothing like having a Courvoisier VSOP cognac in a picnic cup!

Amenity kit ok, but lacked pen to fill out immigration form. Odd omission from my perspective on an Int'l flight.

I was able to sleep fine. so overall, if the price is right, might consider paying the little bit extra again for the seat, but not much else.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA: Platinum
Thanks for this quick review. Question...which restrooms were you allowed to use? I hear the restroom directly in front of the PE section is only for business class and PE passengers have to use the restrooms back many rows. True?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by home222
Thanks for this quick review. Question...which restrooms were you allowed to use? I hear the restroom directly in front of the PE section is only for business class and PE passengers have to use the restrooms back many rows. True?
No problems using the restrooms just forward of the PE section. The one on the starboard side (right looking forward) is a nice large one to boot.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:52 pm

1. they are not strong enough to actually hold the weight of your legs. At least for me, at 165lbs.

2. I find they don't actually give much "rest", as my legs still touch the ground and then only end up being some minor level of calf support

3. putting your feet on the extended part to prop them up and rest your knees doesn't allow your knees to extend as far as if you used the drop-down foot rest in the rows behind you

Again, YMMV. I enjoy the dropdown ones because you can put more pressure on them and slouch into the seat in more of a true Z rest position.
Makes sense, they do look a bit short.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:45 am

Thanks Teem!

Bummer on the plastic cups! The taste of plastic and cognac

How "restrictive" if at all was the tray space by your feet?

Overall, your experience seems about what I figured. Nothing fancy, but extra space and a bit easier to sleep on a long flight.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
The upgrade award on CX from the Y cabin to PEY is one of the major advantages of their program (In my not so humble estimation).

Has there been any speculation on when this type of award will be made available with AA. As well it seems that the xONEx rules have not yet been updated to reflect the PEY cabin on AA.

I ask the above as I have a LONEx to complete sometime in 2018....

Just wandering

Fred
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:26 pm

2nd 772 went to PAE Monday for PY refit: N779AN. This is a 37J Super Diamond frame.

Also, the first A332 went to PAE yesterday from PHL for the refit: N279AY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.