Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by nkedel
I've got PE on the LAX-NRT 772 flight on the 19th, and will report back.
Please do. I have this trip in January, and I’m trying to decide if I should apply and SWU to upgrade to business or keep my PE seat.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The AA fleet site reports that the first 77W, N721AN, either has undergone or is undergoing the PE retrofit, with a new config of 8F 52J 28W 216Y (26 of which are MCE). This config almost certainly marks the end of 3-3-3 MCE on that bird.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
We have AA38 in April 2018 MIA-LHR Tickets in PE and now they switch'd the AC from 772 to 77W an rebooked us in Y.
Why they don't rebooked us automatically to the other AA flight with PE or the BA flights?!?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Does AA have dedicated FAs to PE like Delta does? Is the service attentive?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by denkigroove
We have AA38 in April 2018 MIA-LHR Tickets in PE and now they switch'd the AC from 772 to 77W an rebooked us in Y.
Why they don't rebooked us automatically to the other AA flight with PE or the BA flights?!?
I'm not sure you'd want to be booked into BA's premium economy, at least on the 747. It's a subpar experience with a woefully outdated IFE system and an ancient empower system with no USB outlets either.

That said I'm looking into MIA-LHR flights later into the summer and still no PE on AA metal. Any ideas if this route will have the PE by then?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denkigroove
Good question. I would call AA to inquire and insist on an appropriate accomodation if I encountered this scenario.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petteriusa

That said I'm looking into MIA-LHR flights later into the summer and still no PE on AA metal. Any ideas if this route will have the PE by then?

Thanks!
According the schedule posted in the wiki, all 77X's should have PE by June, so don't know if AA is just hedging their bets by not selling PE yet for later dates.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
According the schedule posted in the wiki, all 77X's should have PE by June, so don't know if AA is just hedging their bets by not selling PE yet for later dates.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I saw the wiki and noticed that as well and was confused if I was missing something.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:13 am

According to the published schedule, the JFK-GRU nonstop (77W) should have PE by June 2018. But that fare is not offered now for October 2018 for example. Is AA just limiting the number of Y seats sold in the mean time, knowing that the current seat map will be inaccurate? When can we expect that fare to appear?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Why are Main Cabin Extra Seat ALL Blocked on MIA-LHR flight

I just booked, AA 56/57 actually just on hold for now, R/T MIA-LHR-CPH for June and not only was "Main Cabin Extra" 16-19 economy unavailable to book, but when I went to choose my seat (EXP) in my favorite seat it was all grayed out. I hop over to EF to see whats up and its all showing "X" blocked. This is both directions.

I'm hoping to use miles/copay to upgrade to C on the Lhr portion, but in the meantime, I'm just wondering whats going on with that section. I tried using miles for a biz seats, but they add so many legs on and put me on a British 777 in Club World which I don't consider comparable to AA 777.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:27 am

No research from me, but maybe PE soon for your flight?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by trekker954
I just booked, AA 56/57 actually just on hold for now, R/T MIA-LHR-CPH for June and not only was "Main Cabin Extra" 16-19 economy unavailable to book, but when I went to choose my seat (EXP) in my favorite seat it was all grayed out. I hop over to EF to see whats up and its all showing "X" blocked. This is both directions.

I'm hoping to use miles/copay to upgrade to C on the Lhr portion, but in the meantime, I'm just wondering whats going on with that section. I tried using miles for a biz seats, but they add so many legs on and put me on a British 777 in Club World which I don't consider comparable to AA 777.
Dates?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by trekker954

Those aren't MCE, they're PE seats. MCE cabin on 77W is 3-3-3, those are showing as 2-4-2.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ShortDog
Those aren't MCE, they're PE seats. MCE cabin on 77W is 3-3-3, those are showing as 2-4-2.
Fewer facts, more outrage! Rabble! Rarrr!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Mini Trip Report:

I flew AA 6 (OGG-DFW) on Dec 15 which, I believe, was the first day that Hawaii service PE tickets were sold with PE being a separate class.

When shopping, my round trip price in Y was about $650 whereas if I wanted to book PE on that leg alone, I would have paid around $1250. As a PLT, I booked an MCE seat and put in for a sticker upgrade to domestic first.

As the date of travel approached, I realized I was almost certainly going to be in Y for the trip as EF showed only 1 J seat available for sale. There were a number of W seats available for sale, and plenty of empty seats on the seat map. When I went to check in, I watched as the person in front of me was offered an upgrade to PE (on the kiosk) for about $350. I was not offered the upsell. There were about 10 people on the upgrade list and I was #5 or so.

At the time of boarding, I was called up to the podium and upgraded to PE. A gentleman and his wife that i had been sitting next to in the boarding area were also upgraded to PE before me. I believe they had revenue tickets. I boarded with group 3 and most of the seats in the middle of the cabin were unoccupied. Toward the end of the boarding process a number of people took those seats and the cabin went out full. I believe most if not all of those pax were non-revs.

Service was almost the same as what is typically offered in Y except liquor was complimentary. One of the flight attendants was handing out two mini bottles to anyone who asked for a cocktail. Not sure if I only got one bottle of Woodford because that's all that was left or if it was because the FA that gave me my drink was being stingy. The "meal" was the same as what was offered to "regular" economy. I am not sure if they made a second pass through the cabin because I went to sleep, but i did wake up about 4 hours into the flight and there was very little if any additional service offered. Maybe water.

The seat was definitely better than MCE, but I don't think I would pay $300 or $600 extra for a PE ticket if I could secure an aisle MCE seat. I would also be reluctant to use an SWU (if I ever qualify for one) or miles & copay upgrade. On the other hand, I would probably pay to upgrade to MCE if I were given the choice of a regular Y middle seat vs any place in the PE cabin, and if the price were a little lower and the in-flight service was actually different, I might be persuaded to pay.

Of note, no stickers were pulled from my account. I consider being upgraded to PE a pleasant surprise as I was not aware it would be done for a lowly Platinum, but it is not likely something I would pay a significant amount for.

Last edited by zski1; Dec 17, 2017 at 11:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.