Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I usually think of a "review" as being from the perspective of someone who's tried what they are reviewing.
A picture's worth 1000 words, though, right? I think I did it in less.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econometrics
A picture's worth 1000 words, though, right? I think I did it in less.
Ok, but you titled the first section "look/feel", but only commented on the look, and how can you possibly comment on the "feel" without actually trying both?

How a picture show how the seat feels?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Ok, but you titled the first section "look/feel", but only commented on the look, and how can you possibly comment on the "feel" without actually trying both?

How a picture show how the seat feels?
How does a website feel when you're on it? Same application.

Moving on...
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
Good synopsis.

My initial review between DL/AA is this:

Look/Feel of the seat and cabin - DL wins. The DL branding on the head rest, and stitched leather just looks SO much better.
Power ports - AA wins. I don't like how DL put them in the area in front of you. People are going to trip over those cords getting out, etc. AA's placement is odd (tucked down, under the armrest), but that seems more accessible if I am charging my iPhone, etc.
Catering / Amenities - AA wins. I think AA's food has really stepped up. And getting Bose QC headphones is always a winner.
Footrests - AA wins. I don't like extendable footrests on these "domestic F" style seats. I would rather have the footrest under the seat in front of me.

I hope AA follows a similar SWU protocol. One win to DL is that the PY cabin will be bigger, so if your Y to J SWU doesn't clear, you have a very good chance at a W seat. That might be more of a fight on Elite-dense routes on AA.

I definitely think DL loses here by getting rid of Comfort+. I am very glad AA decided to keep MCE on the W-offered planes. That makes such a big difference if I am flying with my family on vacation and can live with the extra 5" of Y legroom on a TATL flight.

DL taking Comfort+ out is a real loss for their Elites, IMO.
Yes, without Comfort+, DL is essentially the same as CX. DMs in CX got some upgrade certificates for one-class upgrades. Most people need to quit the DL Skypeos games I have no idea what more they would like to be after DL, except hub captives.

Looking at the FT threads thinking about this, it is not good enough for AA to offer PEs with aggressive pricing models against DLs and all other carriers. With the revenue-based programs in US3, who in the right mind would pay for PEs to get slightly better but still dreadful services in AA, and get petty RDMs and EQDs? In Premium fare threads, people keep gunning for CX/BA/JL PE fares to get qualifying dollars and RDMs. For MRs/mileage-aware travelers, it just does not make sense to pay for AA PEs. So, let's say you have JFK-SYDs PE RT, and let's say AA prices it the same as QF/CX, $2k USD, AA is immediately in the worse end because QF offers similar routing, whereas CX offers longer routes but with better routing rules(Stopovers so on and forth), and both carriers give way more RDMs and EQDs(QF 30k EQMs, 4k EQDs, 46k - CX 38k EQMs, 5k EQDs, 55k RDMs - AA 30k EQMs(presumably), 2k EQDs, and 22k RDMs), based on EXP calculation.

Premium fares are easier and cheaper to get than a decade ago, with so many Chinese and Asian carriers competing for each other for marquee routes that AA flies. AA could sell PEs, but their prices have to be even lower than CX/QF/JL so people stay in AA.

When others argue you could upgrade to J in AA with eVIPs, please do not forget that the upgrade list will be heavily dependable upon EQDs. The public would have to blindly purchase AA fares to jack up the EQDs to put themselves into higher priority lists.

With AA current ops and CS, DL superior ops, CS and inflight service, UA's overall improved ops/service, and other competitive carriers/partners hard/soft product+service, I just don't see it happening.

At least I know where my money would go if I am asked to make a choice of PE between AA and all other carriers.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 15, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I'm booked on AA 37 in Y on 4/10 from MAD-DFW. It looks like there's PE (2-3-2 layout) in rows 9-11, but EF is showing those seats as blocked. The website won't let me pick those seats, and a phone agent on the Plat line wouldn't assign me the seat.

I'm confused because I thought elites were able to pick PE seats before they are being formally sold?

edit: the plane is a 789

Last edited by ralphs; Jan 18, 2017 at 11:35 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralphs
I'm booked on AA 37 in Y on 4/10 from MAD-DFW. It looks like there's PE (2-3-2 layout) in rows 9-11, but EF is showing those seats as blocked. The website won't let me pick those seats, and a phone agent on the Plat line wouldn't assign me the seat.

I'm confused because I thought elites were able to pick PE seats before they are being formally sold?

edit: the plane is a 789
Isn't it that elites were able to pick PE seats on flights that fly before the date when PE will be formally sold on flights? Ie, just because PE may not be sold today doesn't mean tit won't be sold by 4/10 and AA may want to wait to see if they sell any before giving any away?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Isn't it that elites were able to pick PE seats on flights that fly before the date when PE will be formally sold on flights? Ie, just because PE may not be sold today doesn't mean tit won't be sold by 4/10 and AA may want to wait to see if they sell any before giving any away.
Right. Per this post here, all the 789 PE inventory is blocked from 2 April 17 going forward.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Thanks for clarifying. I wonder how AA will handle comp upgrades (if at all) from Economy to PE. Some official guidance would be nice.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Thanks for clarifying. I wonder how AA will handle comp upgrades (if at all) from Economy to PE. Some official guidance would be nice.
Your question is asked in good time, as this just hit the wire today:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-upgrades.html
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Unrelated to the above, but does anyone else think the grey is drab and unimaginative?

JAL has a nice red.. wonder why AA didn't go that route.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread is dedicated to Premium Economy (currently only available on the Boeing 787-9).

Discussion of the 777/772 (which at this time has no Premium Economy seating) has moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

/Moderator
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
Can the routes currently flown with PE be included in the wiki? Would be nice for planning purposes (e.g., selecting one route over the other if PE is available).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ajklink
Can the routes currently flown with PE be included in the wiki? Would be nice for planning purposes (e.g., selecting one route over the other if PE is available).
DFW-ICN
DFW-MAD
DFW-CDG
DFW-GRU

...I believe that's it. And I don't know if those change with summer schedules or not.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ajklink
Wikiposts are community property, and both "belong to" and are editable by signed in FT members with 90 days and 90 posts.

I've added econometrics' data to the Wikipost.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
It's now Feb 28. I guess PE is not going on sale in February after all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.