Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aspire
Hi. I have OneWorld Emerald (through AirBerlin gold), and I'm an AAdvantage member but do not have status with American. I will be flying SEA-ORD on American, in economy, this Friday. Are there any lounges in Sea-Tac that I will be able to access through my OW status? Thanks!
There's a BA lounge with very limited hours that is not at all convenient to the AA gates. They may or may not let you in (BA is notorious for playing games with lounge rules). Otherwise, it's a fairly nice airport so not a tragedy if you can't get lounge access.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:48 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aspire
Hi. I have OneWorld Emerald (through AirBerlin gold), and I'm an AAdvantage member but do not have status with American. I will be flying SEA-ORD on American, in economy, this Friday. Are there any lounges in Sea-Tac that I will be able to access through my OW status? Thanks!
Originally Posted by SJC AA
There's a BA lounge with very limited hours that is not at all convenient to the AA gates. They may or may not let you in (BA is notorious for playing games with lounge rules). Otherwise, it's a fairly nice airport so not a tragedy if you can't get lounge access.
SJC AA sums it up pretty nicely. But just to add a little more detail... The BA lounge opens at 3pm and closes after the last BA flight leaves. It's all the way over at the S gates, in the same lounge complex/hallway as a Delta lounge and maybe another a lounge. (Sorry, it's been a while since I've been there.)

In theory this is an official BA lounge, so oneworld lounge rules apply (i.e., as a non-AA oneworld elite, you should have access to oneworld lounges when departing on a oneworld marketed/operated flight).
Old May 3, 2016, 11:59 pm

I am flying international J out of LAX and planning on using the Oneworld lounge. As an AA plat, can I guest someone in who is flying on a domestic AA flight?
Old May 4, 2016, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by robinhood
I am flying international J out of LAX and planning on using the Oneworld lounge. As an AA plat, can I guest someone in who is flying on a domestic AA flight?
I don't think intl J has guest privileges.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
Of course, that is if you can get past the staff.

I saw a report yesterday of a BAEC Gold (Emerald) being denied access at TBIT due to being on a 'domestic' ("solely on North American") flight.
There really should be a kiosk computer that handles this. Something very simple:

Access based on OW status:
OW status via AA or not?
If AA, qualifying flight or not?
If qualifying flight: DING, welcome!
If not: go away
Else: DING DING DING, welcome!

Access based on ticket departing LAX:
F class on OW carrier other than AA: ding ding ding, welcome!
F class on AA:
If three cabin, ding ding ding, welcome!

Now that I think of it, AA only sells 3 cabin F fares on JFK and MIA transcons from LAX or international.

Access based on ticket from elsewhere on the itinerary:
Check for Intl F and qualifying time windows, if so, DING DING DING, welcome!

The best thing about a kiosk is that it's consistent. That and to provide a human who knows how to properly read the rules to be there in case the kiosk's programmers screwed up.

The #1 annoyance I hate the most when traveling is dealing with inconsistencies amongst staff members.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I don't think intl J has guest privileges.
Int'l J doesn't in itself allow a guest, but as a PLT (sapphire) the OP can have one guest.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Int'l J doesn't in itself allow a guest, but as a PLT (sapphire) the OP can have one guest.
Yes, thanks, I was planning to guest them in as an aa platinum/ow sapphire. It says the guest has to be flying a oneworld operated flight. Does it have to be international or would an AA domestic flight work?
Old May 4, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Yes, thanks, I was planning to guest them in as an aa platinum/ow sapphire. It says the guest has to be flying a oneworld operated flight. Does it have to be international or would an AA domestic flight work?
For guests, it's just any OneWorld flight.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:39 pm

For guests, it's just any OneWorld flight.
Ok, so I tried this at the LAX Oneworld business lounge a couple days ago... tried to guest in a friend who happened to be flying out at a similar time but on a different AA flight. I am an AA platinum/ow sapphire flying international J. The lounge dragon insisted that my friend had to be flying on the same flight as me to have lounge access. I told her that this is stated nowhere in the description of lounge benefits for oneworld sapphire members. She claimed she had worked there for a long time and that is how it always has been. After some argument she just let us in as an "exception." Who is right here?
Old May 8, 2016, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ok, so I tried this at the LAX Oneworld business lounge a couple days ago... tried to guest in a friend who happened to be flying out at a similar time but on a different AA flight. I am an AA platinum/ow sapphire flying international J. The lounge dragon insisted that my friend had to be flying on the same flight as me to have lounge access. I told her that this is stated nowhere in the description of lounge benefits for oneworld sapphire members. She claimed she had worked there for a long time and that is how it always has been. After some argument she just let us in as an "exception." Who is right here?
There is a link in the wikipost at the top of this page to oneworld lounge access rules, and there's a summary in the wikipost as well. In part:

Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
There really should be a kiosk computer that handles this. Something very simple:
why need extra kiosk? dragons should be able just scan the BP and the computer can just tell them grant or deny based on status and travel information.

or this can be done easily on the phone app.

but wait, this is AA? heard their IT guys haven't learnt what's app yet.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
There is a link in the wikipost at the top of this page to oneworld lounge access rules, and there's a summary in the wikipost as well. In part:
Yes, but the issue is, what does this mean? I interpret "must be traveling on a oneworld operated flight" to mean ANY oneworld operated flight. The lounge attendant seemed to interpret it to mean "must be traveling on the same flight." I see nothing in the verbiage to suggest that it has to be the same flight.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Yes, but the issue is, what does this mean? I interpret "must be traveling on a oneworld operated flight" to mean ANY oneworld operated flight. The lounge attendant seemed to interpret it to mean "must be traveling on the same flight." I see nothing in the verbiage to suggest that it has to be the same flight.
Your interpretation is the correct one, but that doesn't change the unfortunate fact that some lounge dragons disagree..
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question Admirals Club "Immediate Family" access experiences - Please Post

The official Admiral's club terms say that an Admiral's club member can only bring in:

" Up to two guests or immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) may accompany the member"

However, I am wondering if my wife and I are traveling with my two parents - will they allow my parents in?

Parents are "immediate family" according to the widely accepted wikipedia definition:

"The immediate family is a defined group of relations, used in rules or laws to determine which members of a person's family are affected by those rules. It normally includes a person's parents, spouses, siblings, children."

However, the Admirals terms do not mention parents or siblings, so I am worried about if I will be able to bring in 3 people.

If anybody has any recent 2016 experiences they can share, it would be much appreciated. ^
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flymax77
The official Admiral's club terms say that an Admiral's club member can only bring in:

" Up to two guests or immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) may accompany the member"

However, I am wondering if my wife and I are traveling with my two parents - will they allow my parents in?

Parents are "immediate family" according to the widely accepted wikipedia definition:

"The immediate family is a defined group of relations, used in rules or laws to determine which members of a person's family are affected by those rules. It normally includes a person's parents, spouses, siblings, children."

However, the Admirals terms do not mention parents or siblings, so I am worried about if I will be able to bring in 3 people.

If anybody has any recent 2016 experiences they can share, it would be much appreciated. ^
Forget about Wikipedia definitions. All that matters is AA's definition of immediate family, which is spouse/partner or children under 18. So by the rules your parents won't be able to come in.

However, in practice, this always depends on which club, how busy is it, if the AAgent is in a good mood, etc. etc. I certainly have accessed various ACs several times over the years with 3 guests. So I would certainly try, but don't be upset if they say no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.