Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyalways
...Does that mean both of you have to leave the lounge at the same time even if the guest has their flight later than yours ? I do not think so...
I'd say yes it does.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Hi

I will be flying from London Heathrow to Dallas Ft. Worth tomorrow. I will be flying on a Business Class ticket. My status is lowly gold. Can I access the Cathy Pacific lounge? Or am I relegated to the Admiral's Club?

Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Hi

I will be flying from London Heathrow to Dallas Ft. Worth tomorrow. I will be flying on a Business Class ticket. My status is lowly gold. Can I access the Cathy Pacific lounge? Or am I relegated to the Admiral's Club?

Thanks
You can use any of the One World business lounges - the Cathay lounge is generally regarded as the best choice and you will be allowed access

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/LHR/-1

All the T3 lounge options are discussed here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-lounge.html
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
You can use any of the One World business lounges - the Cathay lounge is generally regarded as the best choice and you will be allowed access

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/LHR/-1

All the T3 lounge options are discussed here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-lounge.html

Great..

Thank you for the confirmation.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I recently flew CX from HKG to ORD and visited The Wing and The Pier (awesome lounges), but since I bought a CX V fare home, I didn't accrue AA mileage for my flights. I could have credited to BA for 50% accrual, but then my status wouldn't have shown up on my boarding card. If I did use my BA FF# on the reservation, but presented my AA EXP card would they have allowed entry? Obviously this applies to any other OW lounges as well.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trapped
I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I recently flew CX from HKG to ORD and visited The Wing and The Pier (awesome lounges), but since I bought a CX V fare home, I didn't accrue AA mileage for my flights. I could have credited to BA for 50% accrual, but then my status wouldn't have shown up on my boarding card. If I did use my BA FF# on the reservation, but presented my AA EXP card would they have allowed entry? Obviously this applies to any other OW lounges as well.
Yes ! Your lounge access is based on your Elite level in the OW program not on where you are crediting the miles...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyalways
Yes ! Your lounge access is based on your Elite level in the OW program not on where you are crediting the miles...
Flyalways, thanks for the quick response. That's what I assumed, but wanted to make sure before I missed out a lounge visit. I'll miss the 50% accrual this time, but will make sure to credit to the best program next time.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Just wanted to reconfirm from the WiKi..
I will be traveling on AA from BWI-CLT (RT) in Economy.. As a OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold) will I have access in CLT in the First and Business Class lounges ?
Thank you
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flyiboy
I will be traveling on AA from BWI-CLT (RT) in Economy.. As a OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold) will I have access in CLT in the First and Business Class lounges ?
Thank you
There are not first and business class lounges in CLT. You will have access to these clubs:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/clt-club.jsp
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Thank you
You will get access to any Admirals Club
Nether airport has an AA 1st class lounge
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Thank you for the clarification and quick responses..
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Not sure where else to comment, but I didn't want to start a thread for this. I was in the First Class lounge of the Wing at HKG a couple weeks ago and someone seated next to me was pretty upset about Oneworld status being able to qualify for entrance - that it was not exclusive enough, the patrons were unruly, and the lounge itself was too busy and congested. He demanded to speak with a lounge manager (preferably "someone very high up") and specifically pointed out AA's own flagship dining as First Class only and encouraged Cathay to take the same stance. Not sure how high up the manager actually was or if she took his comments seriously, but I was a bit annoyed since I'm exactly one of the people that would have been excluded (Oneworld Emerald, but only on biz ticket).
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Not sure where else to comment, but I didn't want to start a thread for this. I was in the First Class lounge of the Wing at HKG a couple weeks ago and someone seated next to me was pretty upset about Oneworld status being able to qualify for entrance - that it was not exclusive enough, the patrons were unruly, and the lounge itself was too busy and congested. He demanded to speak with a lounge manager (preferably "someone very high up") and specifically pointed out AA's own flagship dining as First Class only and encouraged Cathay to take the same stance. Not sure how high up the manager actually was or if she took his comments seriously, but I was a bit annoyed since I'm exactly one of the people that would have been excluded (Oneworld Emerald, but only on biz ticket).
AA are not the only airline that have these rules with their first class lounges within Oneworld. From experience AA, QR and BA all have clubs that can only be accessed based on the ticket class, so maybe the person your observed may have a point. I would not have gone to the extreme of complaining in the manner he did though. I had the pleasure of frequenting the Wing and Pier on both outward and return trips over the last couple of weeks and can say they are very nice lounges with facilities that match the best. I preferred the Pier over the Wing but that is my own preference mainly due to the spa services they offer and restaurant offerings and I was travelling in lowest of economy class so had only paid £500 for my tickets and the privilege of the lounges whilst the complainant probably paid a lot more. Maybe I am the type of passenger the complainant was having a dig at

Similarly I experienced the Qantas first lounge in LA and CX first at LHR earlier this year as a OWE and was very impressed. I would not have been able to do this if limited to First class passengers. If all airlines started to restrict only to first class passengers they would either lose custom or passengers may consider alternative airlines and the attractiveness of the OW lounge scheme will be reduced.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC; JMB
Mixed ticked

Hi,

looking for some advice. I’m oneworld emirald (BAEC Gold).

Ticked Seoul to London as follows
GMP-HND JAL
HND-LHR JAL
LHR-HND JAL
HND-GMP KAL

On last flight, at HND, I was denied to enter the JAL lounge, because the flight was KAL operated.

I would understand if this was an independent flight, but this was part of the total return ticket, which is only JAL flights.

Previously I have flown HND-CDG (JAL) and then a connecting domestic AF flight, and AF permitted me into their lounge. So I’m left confused.

Does anyone else have experience in this kind of mixed ticket access rules? I had a search on the form, but couldn’t find any other info.

Thanks ahead for any info.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: LH HON
I'd say it's actually correct to be denied, as the flight was not operated by a oneworld carrier. The type of ticket doesn't come into play in this scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.