Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Is that a QF flight? There can be a delay in posting, and AA may not be able to do much.
Exactly. An AA flight might post quickly, a QF flight may well not.

(AA has no aircraft, and QF few, that can make that trip.)
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Is that a QF flight? There can be a delay in posting, and AA may not be able to do much.
It's operated by Qantas, yes, but I purchased at aa.com with codeshare flight number (AA7308 = QF8). I'm guessing it's YMMV then. I'll pay attention when I arrive in SYD in the outgoing flight to see it the miles post quickly or not.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Lounge access night before

From what I've read, I think the answer is no but I'll ask anyway in case someone has experience with this. AA Platinum - Connecting in LAX with an 11:50 PM departure to MIA, connecting to central america around 9:30 AM the next day. Since the connection is after 6 AM does this mean I cannot access the Admirals Club before my LAX-MIA flight? Anyone have luck getting in anyway? My layover in LAX is 4 hours.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by maposo
It's operated by Qantas, yes, but I purchased at aa.com with codeshare flight number (AA7308 = QF8). I'm guessing it's YMMV then. I'll pay attention when I arrive in SYD in the outgoing flight to see it the miles post quickly or not.
I took a lot of QF flights booked under the AA codeshare flight number in September (including QF7) and they posted as quickly as AA operated flights do for me. For the two QF flights booked under the QF flight number I had to request credit via the online form.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by britz
From what I've read, I think the answer is no but I'll ask anyway in case someone has experience with this. AA Platinum - Connecting in LAX with an 11:50 PM departure to MIA, connecting to central america around 9:30 AM the next day. Since the connection is after 6 AM does this mean I cannot access the Admirals Club before my LAX-MIA flight? Anyone have luck getting in anyway? My layover in LAX is 4 hours.
The LAX-MIA flights are considered transcon, even though they don't get special planes, so you should have access. When I'm in F on that route (on a three-cabin aircraft) I've been granted access to the FL, too.

Last edited by zpaul; Oct 13, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by zpaul
When I'm in F on that route I've been granted access to the FL, too.
This is true only when you're flying F on a 3-class aircraft.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
With the TBIT and T4 connecter at LAX complete next year, can Emeralds flying AA domestic walk over and you the OW lounge?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by frebay
With the TBIT and T4 connecter at LAX complete next year, can Emeralds flying AA domestic walk over and you the OW lounge?
Not anymore if you are Emerald via AA. I was able to do so at DFW for a few years, as the rule was ambiguous, to say the least. They have now made the rule more explicit, and the answer is definitely no.

"2. American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean."

But if you have Emerald status via another carrier, sure, enjoy! Or even better, go visit the QF First Lounge
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
This is true only when you're flying F on a 3-class aircraft.
Sorry - very true. I'll update my original post. I've never been on a two-cabin flight on that route - didn't even occur to me!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Or even better, go visit the QF First Lounge
^!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:42 pm

Hi. I have OneWorld Emerald (through AirBerlin gold), and I'm an AAdvantage member but do not have status with American. I will be flying SEA-ORD on American, in economy, this Friday. Are there any lounges in Sea-Tac that I will be able to access through my OW status? Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
But if you have Emerald status via another carrier, sure, enjoy! Or even better, go visit the QF First Lounge
Of course, that is if you can get past the staff.

I saw a report yesterday of a BAEC Gold (Emerald) being denied access at TBIT due to being on a 'domestic' ("solely on North American") flight.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
As an AA EXP, do I have access to the BA Arrivals lounge at LHR T5 when flying in Y? Their site only says that BA Gold members have access and doesn't mention OW Emerald.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I don't have first-hand experience, but I'd refer you to this resource over on the BA Board: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20414950-post2.html

The infographic seems to indicate that as AA EXP, you'll have access to the BA Arrivals Lounge (regardless of class of travel), as long arrived on a AA/BA JBV flight.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OsoJoe
As an AA EXP, do I have access to the BA Arrivals lounge at LHR T5 when flying in Y? Their site only says that BA Gold members have access and doesn't mention OW Emerald.
You will. It is a reciprocal benefit for BA Golds (OWEs) flying AA into LHR T3 and using the AA Arrivals Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.