Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Food and drinks are free only in Flagship lounges (JFK, LAX and ORD). In regular Admirals Clubs you will get coupons for premium drinks but you will have to pay for food.
Thanks for confirmation of that Andriyko At least I'll get something at LAX.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I have a FL access question (especially after reading some of the above posts).

Flying LAX-ORD-DFW-HKG with my LAX-ORD flight leaving LAX at 11:54pm and getting into ORD at 05:50am the next morning, where I am continuing on to DFW and then HKG.

Would they deny me access to the FL based on the fact that my international flight is technically the next day, even if it is on the same itinerary and I am a thru pax?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by brewdog11

Flying LAX-ORD-DFW-HKG with my LAX-ORD flight leaving LAX at 11:54pm and getting into ORD at 05:50am the next morning, where I am continuing on to DFW and then HKG.

Would they deny me access to the FL based on the fact that my international flight is technically the next day, even if it is on the same itinerary and I am a thru pax?
I believe there is some verbiage about "next day before 6am" that qualifies you as "same-day" for lounge access.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by brewdog11

I think it's going to be YMMV. If you ask nicely and explain the situation, you may be able to find an agent who will give you the card key. But also don't be surprised if you get denied, as the policy does indeed state that you must have an international on the same day. (I've been denied FL access in the past when I had a couple domestic segments on day 1, and my international flight was early day 2 - even though all were on the same itinerary.)

Originally Posted by akcae
I believe there is some verbiage about "next day before 6am" that qualifies you as "same-day" for lounge access.
The 6am clause pertains to the day AFTER you land...

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day...
So if your flight lands afternoon/evening of day 1, but your connecting leg leaves at 5:30am on day 2, you can still access the lounge before your first flight on day 2.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by JY1024
I think it's going to be YMMV. If you ask nicely and explain the situation, you may be able to find an agent who will give you the card key. But also don't be surprised if you get denied, as the policy does indeed state that you must have an international on the same day.
Thanks for the info! I'll try and ask, as the FL is better to get work done in than the AC, but it looks like it's going to be a toss-up (with a tilt toward the "no" side). Indeed it does look like it's going to be a YMMV situation at LAX. Hopefully they'll give me some drink chits if they don't let me in.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
So if your flight lands afternoon/evening of day 1, but your connecting leg leaves at 5:30am on day 2, you can still access the lounge before your first flight on day 2.
Except the international leg is not at 5:30, it's later that day in DFW. There would technically be no access to FSL for an AA EXP/US CP.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:37 am

I'm a BA Gold (One World Emerald) - am I right in saying that I can take a guest into a Flagship Lounge?

If so does that guest have to be on the same flight or just on any OW airline?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Any OW airline (but they do have to be able to get airside with you, so departing from the same terminal area in an airport whose airside is not fully connected).
Old May 7, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Sorry for the annoying question (since it has no doubt been answered many times), but I can't seem to find an answer through my (admittedly cursory) searching.

I am BA Silver, and I've been twice denied entry to Admirals Club lounges when flying between Canada and the US.

My reading of the OneWorld lounge access policy is that only flyers who are OneWorld Sapphire by virtue of their AA/US membership should be refused entry when flying between Canada and the US, and that other Sapphire members have the right to enter.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance to those more knowledgeable than me!
Old May 7, 2015, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Canadair
Sorry for the annoying question (since it has no doubt been answered many times), but I can't seem to find an answer through my (admittedly cursory) searching.

I am BA Silver, and I've been twice denied entry to Admirals Club lounges when flying between Canada and the US.

My reading of the OneWorld lounge access policy is that only flyers who are OneWorld Sapphire by virtue of their AA/US membership should be refused entry when flying between Canada and the US, and that other Sapphire members have the right to enter.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance to those more knowledgeable than me!
I've an extensive answer below, but a shortcut is the "oneworld Lounge Access Wizard" (linked to in the AA LOUNGE DASHBOARD) here (developed by FT member kduarte).

AFAIK as non-AA or US oneworld Sapphire you should be granted business lounge (Admirals Club) access when travelling domestically on AA or US.

From the oneworld lounge access page (Link):

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
Admirals Club agents may be confused because they're used to enforcing the exceptions for AA and US flyers:

The following exceptions apply - whilst we AA and US members are restricted, you are definitively not - :
  • American Airlines, US Airways and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp and http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...b/default.html
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  • Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha and Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4 are excluded.
oneworld Sapphire by and of itself does not allow access to the AA Flagship Lounges.

Last edited by JDiver; May 7, 2015 at 11:08 am
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
This item is still causing a bit of concern for me:

"You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge."

I recently qualified for EXP and will not receive my new credentials before a very extensive trip next month, including SYD-DFW, during which I would very much like to access the SYD QF First Lounge (and all other lounges in Australia and South America, which are part of the trip). I know that it is no longer very common to request the actual card, but it is known to happen occasionally. Will the electronic version of the AAdvantage card that you can access via the app work? Has anybody had an experience with this in Australia or other parts of the world?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zpaul
This item is still causing a bit of concern for me:

"You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge."

I recently qualified for EXP and will not receive my new credentials before a very extensive trip next month, including SYD-DFW, during which I would very much like to access the SYD QF First Lounge (and all other lounges in Australia and South America, which are part of the trip). I know that it is no longer very common to request the actual card, but it is known to happen occasionally. Will the electronic version of the AAdvantage card that you can access via the app work? Has anybody had an experience with this in Australia or other parts of the world?
Rest assured that you'll get in with your boarding pass. If your status is not printed on your BP for some reason, any other method to prove your OWE status, including logging on to your AA, account will do.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:49 am

Are there any rules for lounge access when one becomes qualified "during" the flight?

I'm AA GLD right now and have a trip to Australia coming up. During the returning flight I will reach AA PLT (50K miles) after the SYD-DFW leg. That same day I have another leg connecting to my final destination in the east coast.

I'll have to wait more than 4 hours for that connecting flight, so would be really nice if I'm allowed to access the Admirals Club to wait and rest for a while.

Does anyone knows if:
1. the SYD-DFW miles will already be posted in my AA account at the moment I land in DFW ? (I suppose I will need this to prove I've became AA PLT)
2. is it ok to access the AC even though at the start of trip I wasn't qualified, but not for the connection leg I am ?

Would appreciate any input and insights. Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by maposo
Are there any rules for lounge access when one becomes qualified "during" the flight?

I'm AA GLD right now and have a trip to Australia coming up. During the returning flight I will reach AA PLT (50K miles) after the SYD-DFW leg. That same day I have another leg connecting to my final destination in the east coast.

I'll have to wait more than 4 hours for that connecting flight, so would be really nice if I'm allowed to access the Admirals Club to wait and rest for a while.

Does anyone knows if:
1. the SYD-DFW miles will already be posted in my AA account at the moment I land in DFW ? (I suppose I will need this to prove I've became AA PLT)
2. is it ok to access the AC even though at the start of trip I wasn't qualified, but not for the connection leg I am ?

Would appreciate any input and insights. Thanks.
You'll have lounge access once your miles post and your Platinum status is reflected.

The usual scenario is AA miles from AA flights may post the same day or the next, but status may not update in previously booked flight PNRs; one may have to call to update those.

You could proceed to the Club and inquire whether your account reflects the SYD-DFW miles and Platinum status; might be a bit of a crapshoot, but it might be the best way for you. (If you want a shower, the Terminal A Club has the best, and it's usually less crowded than the D Club.)
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by JDiver
You'll have lounge access once your miles post and your Platinum status is reflected.

The usual scenario is AA miles from AA flights may post the same day or the next, but status may not update in previously booked flight PNRs; one may have to call to update those.

You could proceed to the Club and inquire whether your account reflects the SYD-DFW miles and Platinum status; might be a bit of a crapshoot, but it might be the best way for you. (If you want a shower, the Terminal A Club has the best, and it's usually less crowded than the D Club.)
Is that a QF flight? There can be a delay in posting, and AA may not be able to do much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.