Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

Old May 1, 2014, 8:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

• oneworld Emerald = AAdvantage Executive Platinum / Chairman's Preferred (First / Flagship and Business lounges on eligible flights)

• oneworld Sapphire = AAdvantage Platinum / Preferred Gold or Platinum (Business / Admirals Club lounges on eligible flights)

• oneworld Ruby = AAdvantage Gold / Preferred Silver (no lounge access based solely on status)

Older posts can be read in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ld-status.html

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 30, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Hello - I'll be travelling from LAX to SYD on QF in Business class this September. I'm a One World Emerald and also a US (now AA) club member. Will I have access to the Flagship Lounge in T-4 at LAX before my QF flight?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
AA/LAN Plat oneworld Benefits - Do kids count? [inc. lounge access]

Recently took my family of 5 (me + wife + 3 teens) to Peru traveling on AA and LAN. Some observations about how kids traveling with parents were handled by both AA and LAN.

Admirals Club:
STL - Admirals club lady says my wife counts as plus one but kids under 18 Allowed no problem.
MIA outbound - Admirals club says same...
MIA inbound - Admirals club agent says...well maybe an exception this time but since US Air merger they are getting tighter

Note: honestly I was surprised they let the whole family in.

LAN Club - Contract lounge offered 2 passes only (ie no kids)

Check In:
AA - Used priority/first no issues
LAN - Blocked from using priority check in told that even though family traveling with me on same PNR strictly limited for one world sapphire of member + 1 other. Makes no sense to me.

Priority Boarding:
AA - No problem for all 5.
LAN - Also no problem for all 5.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
FWIW, the QF website suggests that only children under 2 are not counted at oneworld lounges. I realise this is not the AA website, but it is probably the most authoritative quote I can find on this policy:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...cess/global/en

Originally Posted by QF
1 not counted as guest
Over 2 years will be counted as the member's guest
This obviously suggests that 1 child under 2 won't be counted as a guest at oneworld lounges. Over 2 year old children are counted.

There is a similar quote for AA, but it is a little more relaxed:

Originally Posted by QF
1 (within North America) not counted as guest (under 18)
2 (outside of North America) (under 18)
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

oneworld lounge access rules:

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
Nothing about family or children here, I'm afraid. It's up to the airline's lounge rules and staff. AA has been pretty family friendly. LAN doesn't mention family in LAN - TAM lounge access rules; they refer to oneworld lounge rules. They also stipulate, for all lounges:

El acceso est sujeto a la capacidad del saln.
(Access is subject to lounge capacity.)
Airlines can, and will, cop out and deny access on this basis.

But it appears to me AA cut you some slack, though Admirals Club can bring two guests and family*, and LAN merely stuck to the rules - you were allowed one guest to the Saln SUMAC / Sumac.

Disfruta junto a un invitado ms de 550 salones VIP de LAN y de las aerolneas de la alianza oneworld. Este beneficio puede ser utilizado por el socio titular (Emerald o Sapphire) y acompaante, slo si ambos viajan en vuelos operados por LAN o por aerolneas de la alianza oneworld, sin importar la clase en la que viaje el socio.

Enjoy over 550 lounges operated by LAN and airlines of the oneworld alliance with one guest. This benefit may be used by the statusholder (Emerald or Sapphire) and guest, only when they are traveling on a flight operated by LAN or by oneworld alliance airlines, without regard to the class the statusholder is flying in.
(And, in Lima, they do not have a LAN Club, AFAIK; they use the SUMAQ lounge.)

*Your Membership Privileges include:
  • Up to two guests or immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) may accompany the member
It's not unusual to see a family with two or three children and both parents in an Admirals Club.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Hello - I'll be travelling from LAX to SYD on QF in Business class this September. I'm a One World Emerald and also a US (now AA) club member. Will I have access to the Flagship Lounge in T-4 at LAX before my QF flight?
Yes, you will; you will be able to guest in one person also flying. The AA Terminal offers a shuttle bus access to TBIT (and possibly some limited QF flights to SYD still depart T-4?)

Better yet, if returning from SYD, you will have access to the excellent Qantas First lounge - full sit down a la carte meals, and so much more.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
I agree I am lucky to have been allowed to bring everyone in at the admirals club.

What I thought most disconcerting was not being able to check into my to LAN flights with my family on the same reservation using the priority line. That said LAN check in was pretty efficient.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, you will; you will be able to guest in one person also flying. The AA Terminal offers a shuttle bus access to TBIT (and possibly some limited QF flights to SYD still depart T-4?)

Better yet, if returning from SYD, you will have access to the excellent Qantas First lounge - full sit down a la carte meals, and so much more.
Ok - great! Will I need to reclear security with the shuttle bus in LAX?

I am returning from SYD and will likely have plenty of time to kill as I have a 1:00 flight home but will have nothing to do that whole morning. Can I access this lounge upon arrival in SYD to take a shower?

Thanks for the response!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Can I access this lounge upon arrival in SYD to take a shower?

Thanks for the response!
No - it's in a departures only area.

As for your 1pm departure, to allow plenty of time for the Qantas First lounge consider checking in midmorning latest.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Ok - great! Will I need to reclear security with the shuttle bus in LAX?

I am returning from SYD and will likely have plenty of time to kill as I have a 1:00 flight home but will have nothing to do that whole morning. Can I access this lounge upon arrival in SYD to take a shower?

Thanks for the response!
Shower? "But wait, there's more!"

Designed by Qantas Creative Director Marc Newson, the Lounges are exceptional retreats offering unsurpassed levels of comfort, service and luxury, complete with day spa, restaurant, library, private work suites and concierge service. (Great airport views, to boot.)
Flash presentation.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:10 pm

Flash presentation.
Wow a spa, huh? That is pretty nice!

I'd pass on the spa to be able to take a shower upon arrival haha. I have a full day of meetings when I land.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Wow a spa, huh? That is pretty nice!

I'd pass on the spa to be able to take a shower upon arrival haha. I have a full day of meetings when I land.
On your return stateside, if at LAX, you will be able to use a shower - the Flagship Lounge has three or four shower suites, iirc, and the Admirals Club has some showers as well.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:03 pm

On your return stateside, if at LAX, you will be able to use a shower - the Flagship Lounge has three or four shower suites, iirc, and the Admirals Club has some showers as well.
How about if I am traveling on domestically on QF? I'm not sure if I'll be doing my Sydney portion right away or traveling to Brisbane or Melbourne right away. I will have had the international segment in business and am also a club member. Thanks again for the info, always appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
How about if I am traveling on domestically on QF? I'm not sure if I'll be doing my Sydney portion right away or traveling to Brisbane or Melbourne right away. I will have had the international segment in business and am also a club member. Thanks again for the info, always appreciated.
As OWE, you'll have access to all QF lounges while traveling around the OZ..
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Flash presentation.

The first time I ever had a professional massage was at the Qantas First lounge at SYD. And then I had a first-rate lunch in the full-service, sit-down restaurant (with 2 dessert courses! why not?).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.