Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Forget about Wikipedia definitions. All that matters is AA's definition of immediate family, which is spouse/partner or children under 18. So by the rules your parents won't be able to come in.

However, in practice, this always depends on which club, how busy is it, if the AAgent is in a good mood, etc. etc. I certainly have accessed various ACs several times over the years with 3 guests. So I would certainly try, but don't be upset if they say no.
were your guest your parents or siblings? Hoping that is more allowable rather than just a 3rd "friend".
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:38 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flymax77
The official Admiral's club terms say that an Admiral's club member can only bring in:

" Up to two guests or immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) may accompany the member"

However, I am wondering if my wife and I are traveling with my two parents - will they allow my parents in?

<snip>

However, the Admirals terms do not mention parents or siblings, so I am worried about if I will be able to bring in 3 people.

If anybody has any recent 2016 experiences they can share, it would be much appreciated. ^
Question: Are you trying to access the club as a member or based on your oneworld status (which is the topic of this thread)?

Based on my experience across many clubs across the system, more often than not, I've seen Admirals Club members get stopped when trying to bring 3 adults guests with them. The AC language is written so that someone can't bring in 4 adult children or a whole family of parents, in-laws, adult siblings, adult children, etc.

And I've seen even more stringent application of the rules be applied when it's admittance based on status-based entry - strict 1 guest per qualified passenger.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Forget about Wikipedia definitions. All that matters is AA's definition of immediate family, which is spouse/partner or children under 18. So by the rules your parents won't be able to come in.

However, in practice, this always depends on which club, how busy is it, if the AAgent is in a good mood, etc. etc. I certainly have accessed various ACs several times over the years with 3 guests. So I would certainly try, but don't be upset if they say no.
+1 If I were to guess, I'd say rules tend to be more lenient at non-hubs and are dependent on how busy the club is expected to be that time of day.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flymax77
The official Admiral's club terms say that an Admiral's club member can only bring in:

" Up to two guests or immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) may accompany the member"

However, I am wondering if my wife and I are traveling with my two parents - will they allow my parents in?

Parents are "immediate family" according to the widely accepted wikipedia definition:

"The immediate family is a defined group of relations, used in rules or laws to determine which members of a person's family are affected by those rules. It normally includes a person's parents, spouses, siblings, children."

However, the Admirals terms do not mention parents or siblings, so I am worried about if I will be able to bring in 3 people.

If anybody has any recent 2016 experiences they can share, it would be much appreciated. ^
This is the wrong thread (lounge access based on oneworld status) for this question, which is about Admirals Club member guest access, if I read this correctly. We will likely move this post chain with a moderator's note. /Moderator

Admirals Club Terms and Conditions (link) are quite clear; they state:

"Membership includes access by either immediate family members (spouse or domestic partner and children under eighteen (18) years of age) or up to two (2) guests. Access by immediate family members or guests applies only when such individuals accompany the Member."

You will not generally be able to admit four adult people total, regardless of relationships. I'm guessing they'll suggest a $50 one day pass for the fourth person, though if another member of your party can benefit from these while they're available*, a $99 thirty day membership may be more economical in some instances.

*30 day memberships will no longer be sold as of 25 July 2016.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Lounge Access for BA flight

I am AA Plat (OW Sapphire) and have not taken an international flight in probably 4 yrs. We are taking a BA flight from JFK to Paris in the fall but using AA to connect to JFK.

Last time, AA lounges stated that we were NOT allowed to use any lounges within the Mainland even though we were connecting to an international flight. Is this correct?

However, at JFK, we should be able to access the BA Lounge - is that correct?

Thanks for any comments.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
from my experience, you can access any OW lounge when connecting to another OW
airline on the day of your departure, granted it will be the business lounge
never had an issue with either AA or BA lounges. (as a previous ow sapphire)
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jwerking
I am AA Plat (OW Sapphire) and have not taken an international flight in probably 4 yrs. We are taking a BA flight from JFK to Paris in the fall but using AA to connect to JFK.

Last time, AA lounges stated that we were NOT allowed to use any lounges within the Mainland even though we were connecting to an international flight. Is this correct?

However, at JFK, we should be able to access the BA Lounge - is that correct?

Thanks for any comments.
You should indeed be granted access in "XYZ" en route to JFK on AA if connecting to transatlantic BA - OpenSkies as one worldSapphire. And you'll be granted access to the BA Business lounge at JFK as well, as long as your flight departs from the terminal used by BA.

Link to oneworld lounge access rules. In part:

"oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge."
Which "AA lounges" barred you previously?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Originally Posted by JDiver

Which "AA lounges" barred you previously?
About 4 yrs ago, we flew AA from Washington Reagan (DCA) to JFK to connect to an AA flight to Japan and were told that we were not allowed to use the AA lounge at DCA because of a recent change in the rules. As I recall, we were told that we could not use any AA lounges in the continental USA - only lounges overseas. The Lounge dragon did grant an exception. Perhaps, AA has revised those rules once again - we will see!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
About 4 yrs ago, we flew AA from Washington Reagan (DCA) to JFK to connect to an AA flight to Japan and were told that we were not allowed to use the AA lounge at DCA because of a recent change in the rules. As I recall, we were told that we could not use any AA lounges in the continental USA - only lounges overseas. The Lounge dragon did grant an exception. Perhaps, AA has revised those rules once again - we will see!
Glad you got your "exception", since the OW rules have not changed concerning lounge access when doing same day flights with an Int'l segment for at least 13 years (since I 1st became AA PLT). They were simply wrong..
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Glad you got your "exception", since the OW rules have not changed concerning lounge access when doing same day flights with an Int'l segment for at least 13 years (since I 1st became AA PLT). They were simply wrong..
No change in the rules. Some employees just seem to make new "rules" out of whole cloth when they're caught making incorrect decisions - then they can "grant you an exception" so they can cover themselves and appear magnanimous to the passenger.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Say I am Emerald through AA and BA. Will I have access to FC lounges on soley domestic AA flights via my BA status?
The part that trips me up is the exclusion of AAdvantage members. Maybe just my reading comprehension is off?
If I do have access, does it matter to which program I am crediting my domestic travel?
I've read the thread and didn't see these facts addressed.
Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by josua
Say I am Emerald through AA and BA. Will I have access to FC lounges on soley domestic AA flights via my BA status?
The part that trips me up is the exclusion of AAdvantage members. Maybe just my reading comprehension is off?
If I do have access, does it matter to which program I am crediting my domestic travel?
I've read the thread and didn't see these facts addressed.
Thanks.
As a BA Gold (OW Emerald) you can access any Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge when flying AA on soley domestic itineraries. It doesn't matter whether you're crediting the flights to AA or BA. If crediting to AA I would for sure have your BA Gold card to show, since this won't be on your boarding pass.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:35 pm

Oneworld sapphire with AirBerlin. Traveling from LAX-CUN with family. Since my status is with oneworld I believe I will have access to Admirals and oneworld lounges. Just wondering what possibility is for my wife and two minor kids to come in as well. When I read the oneworld loung info seems like my wife can be a guest, but how are the kids generally treated?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by jdnsac
Oneworld sapphire with AirBerlin. Traveling from LAX-CUN with family. Since my status is with oneworld I believe I will have access to Admirals and oneworld lounges. Just wondering what possibility is for my wife and two minor kids to come in as well. When I read the oneworld loung info seems like my wife can be a guest, but how are the kids generally treated?
You're permitted one guest or immediate family, so your wife and children should be allowed in.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
You're permitted one guest or immediate family, so your wife and children should be allowed in.

As a OW Sapphire with AirBerlin, you and one guest can use the Admirals Club (and any other OW Business Class lounges) anytime you travel on a OW-marketed, OW-operated itinerary anywhere in the world. HOWEVER, the guest policy is ONE guest. The guest must also be traveling on a OW-marketed, OW-operated flight.

Here is the link to AA's policy about lounge access for OW elites:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nge-access.jsp

It says: "**Children over the age of two count as a guest"

The "immediate family" exception is not for OW lounge access, but instead is for paid AC members, military, and a couple of others. The front desk staff MIGHT be very nice and allow you to enter with your children over age 2, but it would be an exception rather than the rule.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi

I am travelling from JFK Terminal 8 in Y on AA and I'm OW Sapphire (BA Silver). Do I have access to the new Lounge? Are the new lounges now open?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.