Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 5:03 am
Suspended

Thx, everyone for the confirmation and mentioning to go to The Flag over the AC
Old May 9, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by craz
Thx, everyone for the confirmation and mentioning to go to The Flag over the AC
Yes. ALWAYS pick the Flagship Lounge, if you can. DIY cocktails with premium alcohol and mixers (+ French champagne and decent wine), hot & cold food buffet, more spacious and nicer seating (including a quiet lounge).
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Flying in a few weeks from LAX-JFK-LHR. All in Y waitlist for BC
My LAX-JFK flight is at 1230 am with a 13 hr layover in JFK. Technically my LAX-JFK departs the same day as the JFK-LHR flight (1040PM)
I should have access to the QF First lounge correct?

Iam Ex Plat / Emerald traveling with one companion
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Does an AA ExPlat/OneWorld Emerald traveling, e.g., LAX-CUN or MIA-SDQ have access to OneWorld lounges except for Admirals Clubs or does the person have no lounge access at all unless in J or F (under the non-MEX Mexico/Bahamas/Bermuda/Caribbean rule)? Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Does an AA ExPlat/OneWorld Emerald traveling, e.g., LAX-CUN or MIA-SDQ have access to OneWorld lounges except for Admirals Clubs or does the person have no lounge access at all unless in J or F (under the non-MEX Mexico/Bahamas/Bermuda/Caribbean rule)? Thanks.
AA status holders (EXP/PLT Pro/PLT) do not get any lounge access benefits when traveling solely on US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean itineraries (except for MEX). Business class alone on US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean does not grant any lounge access either (except for the 3 class transcons and MEX). Not sure exactly what you mean but business class on LAX-CUN or MIA-SDQ does not come with any lounge access.

The above is true for all lounges...Admirals Clubs, oneworld lounges, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA status holders (EXP/PLT Pro/PLT) do not get any lounge access benefits when traveling solely on US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean itineraries (except for MEX). Business class alone on US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean does not grant any lounge access either (except for the 3 class transcons and MEX). Not sure exactly what you mean but business class on LAX-CUN or MIA-SDQ does not come with any lounge access.

The above is true for all lounges...Admirals Clubs, oneworld lounges, etc.
Thanks. Compared to Star Alliance Gold lounge access, that's rather lame.

I thought pax in premium cabins got lounge access for such itineraries while those using their OneWorld status didn't. Turns out it's even more restrictive than I thought.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:24 pm

One world lounge

Hi
I was gifted AA Plat. Pro till April and have an upcoming flight on JAL in coach. I understand I should have One World lounge access, but do I need a card,show status on app or will it be on my boardin pass?
Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by railhog
Hi
I was gifted AA Plat. Pro till April and have an upcoming flight on JAL in coach. I understand I should have One World lounge access, but do I need a card,show status on app or will it be on my boardin pass?
Thanks
Assuming your AA number is on the reservation then your boarding pass is all you need.
railhog likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Thanks. Compared to Star Alliance Gold lounge access, that's rather lame.

I thought pax in premium cabins got lounge access for such itineraries while those using their OneWorld status didn't. Turns out it's even more restrictive than I thought.

UA elite never have lounge access to domestic trips.

All skyteam elite plus don't get access if travel within same countries.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
UA elite never have lounge access to domestic trips.

All skyteam elite plus don't get access if travel within same countries.
But oneworld Sapphires and Emeralds from programs other than AAdvantage do get lounge access whenever they fly AA -- even in Coach on domestic flights.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligble for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. — AA

The exception is if you’re traveling in F or J on certain transcontinental flights where there are three classes of service sold. Usually, A321Ts between JFK and LAX or SFO.

Qantas Club members have some restrictions as well, due to paid membership. In the US, paid Club membership came about after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was enacted. Admirals Club was somewhat like CK in that membership was granted by AA, to VIPs who were generally influencers of air travel (legislators, corporate heavyweights, etc.) and sparse of people of color, etc. US airlines established a paid membership system any member of the public was able to purchase. Several also chose not to change to a scheme more commonly used abroad wherein class of service is an admission criterion regardless of domestic or international routing.

See Admirals Club History, Logo, Name
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:13 pm

So just to confirm traveling LAX-PVR in paid J, Emerald AA - no lounge access at LAX - specifically the QF F lounge in TBIT?
I'm confused because what I see on all the AA pages says no where but MEX counts but this is what I see on the Oneworld page for the QF F LAX Lounge.

Based on this, I would assume no, however we are on a through fare JFK-LAX in F arriving the night before. The LAX-PVR departs the next day well after 6am.

For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non AAdvantage oneworld Emerald travelling on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage Executive Platinum travelling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers travelling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international short haul or domestic oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day.
^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.

Last edited by chuck1; Feb 17, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuck1
So just to confirm traveling LAX-PVR in paid J, Emerald AA - no lounge access at LAX - specifically the QF F lounge in TBIT?
I'm confused because what I see on all the AA pages says no where but MEX counts but this is what I see on the Oneworld page for the QF F LAX Lounge.

Access

• First Class
  • Emerald Tier

Airlines

• Qantas
  • Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.
Correct, no lounge access for an AA EXP flying LAX-PVR (in any class, including business).

If your LAX-PVR flight was the same day as your JFK-LAX flight then you would have access based on your same day qualifying JFK-LAX flight. You can try to talk your way in based on this, but I would expect to be denied, again given that your qualifying flight was the day before. YMMV though, some agents don't strictly enforce the same day stuff.

Looking at the oneworld lounge pages, that is just the standard terms that appear, as an EXP flying LAX-PVR you are not an eligible customer, so no access. Additionally at the bottom of the oneworld lounge page the standard exceptions are listed, including the following:

American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligble for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Carribean.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I'm a AA Platinum. I'll be flying SJC-CDG, via DFW, in Premium Economy. I booked with BA flight numbers, but all flights are on AA metal.

Will I have access to the SJC Oneworld lounge "The Club at SJC"? The Oneworld directory says only customers flying on British Airways are eligible for access.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
I'm a AA Platinum. I'll be flying SJC-CDG, via DFW, in Premium Economy. I booked with BA flight numbers, but all flights are on AA metal.

Will I have access to the SJC Oneworld lounge "The Club at SJC"? The Oneworld directory says only customers flying on British Airways are eligible for access.
No lounge access at SJC as that is a 3rd party lounge, only eligible customers departing on the BA SJC-LHR flight would have access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.