Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
I'm a AA Platinum. I'll be flying SJC-CDG, via DFW, in Premium Economy. I booked with BA flight numbers, but all flights are on AA metal.

Will I have access to the SJC Oneworld lounge "The Club at SJC"? The Oneworld directory says only customers flying on British Airways are eligible for access.
The Club at SJC is not a oneworld lounge; it has a contract with BA for those flying BA who’d be entitled to use a BA lounge if there was one.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:39 pm

If anyone can answer this question, it would be very helpful for me.

I am AA exec platinum thus Oneworld Emerald. I know I get lounge access with certain international flights and of course business flights. I was once turned away from Admirals Club lounge on arrival in SFO from Asia as I'm waiting for an Alaska flight from SFO to LAS.

Would an Alaska Airlines ticket allow me to access the lounge at other airports, for example, LAX upon AA international arrival? I was confused at the time, but now it seems like SFO Admirals Club has an exception to Alaska Airlines. I often need to book a connecting flight from LAS to SFO or LAX and would like to know if AS would be an option or if it has to be AA.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TravelBug1314
If anyone can answer this question, it would be very helpful for me.

I am AA exec platinum thus Oneworld Emerald. I know I get lounge access with certain international flights and of course business flights. I was once turned away from Admirals Club lounge on arrival in SFO from Asia as I'm waiting for an Alaska flight from SFO to LAS.

Would an Alaska Airlines ticket allow me to access the lounge at other airports, for example, LAX upon AA international arrival? I was confused at the time, but now it seems like SFO Admirals Club has an exception to Alaska Airlines. I often need to book a connecting flight from LAS to SFO or LAX and would like to know if AS would be an option or if it has to be AA.
No, if you're connecting flight is on AS then you do not have lounge access during your connection from a qualifying int'l flight. Per oneworld rules your onward flight must be on a oneworld carrier for lounge access in these scenarios.

Obviously this will be a moot point once AS joins oneworld.
JDiver and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, JJeffrey.

I think I got confused with the difference between access via Oneworld status vs. Admirals Club membership which does include Alaska Airlines boarding pass.

Thanks again.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No lounge access at SJC as that is a 3rd party lounge, only eligible customers departing on the BA SJC-LHR flight would have access.
Got it--thanks. Was hoping the BA flight numbers would get me access. Appreciate the information.

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Club at SJC is not a oneworld lounge; it has a contract with BA for those flying BA who’d be entitled to use a BA lounge if there was one.
I found it listed here, which led me to believe it was a Oneworld lounge with access limited to certain airlines: https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SJC
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
Got it--thanks. Was hoping the BA flight numbers would get me access. Appreciate the information.

I found it listed here, which led me to believe it was a Oneworld lounge with access limited to certain airlines: https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SJC
Its a little misleading, but I’ve used that lounge. It’s part of a small “The Club” lounges that offer Diners Club, Lounge Key, Priority Pass and their own membership scheme as access points, and has contracts with some airlines for admission as well. At SJC, Air China, ANA, British, Hainan, Lufthansa. See here for a review, here for The Club listing for SJC.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM
  • AA Plat
  • AC Lounge Member
  • Traveling SFO-JFK-MAD in Biz
Aware of Flagship Lounge access at JFK.

Question is, will I be able to access Iberia/oneworld lounge in MAD if no continuing oneworld travel that day? Would be nice to take a quick shower before heading to train station.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by larreajoe
  • AA Plat
  • AC Lounge Member
  • Traveling SFO-JFK-MAD in Biz
Aware of Flagship Lounge access at JFK.

Question is, will I be able to access Iberia/oneworld lounge in MAD if no continuing oneworld travel that day? Would be nice to take a quick shower before heading to train station.
No, unfortunately. The IB lounges can not be used as arrivals lounges.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:28 pm

Thanks, that's what I figured but thought I'd ask just the same.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
No, unfortunately. The IB lounges can not be used as arrivals lounges.
There appears to be a 'hidden' (in plain site) Iberia arrivals lounge at MAD (T4, level -1 on metro/train level). Has anyone used it? Tried to enter when not flying IB metal?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
There appears to be a 'hidden' (in plain site) Iberia arrivals lounge at MAD (T4, level -1 on metro/train level). Has anyone used it? Tried to enter when not flying IB metal?
Per Iberia's website access is only for Iberia elites or people in J on Iberia operated flights. OneWorld status doesn't give you access.

https://www.iberia.com/us/iberia-madrid-vip-lounges/
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

MAD Madrid Barajas VIP Arrivals Lounge

Arrivals Lounge from Prospero / IB forum Dashboard

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 29, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: Us air gold
Replacement Lounge in El Dorado / Bogota / LATAM

Hi Everyone - does anyone have any information what Oneworld / American will do for a lounge in El Dorado airport in Bogota once LATAM leaves oneworld?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Quick note that I've updated my Oneworld Lounge Access Wizard to include forthcoming changes when AS joins at the end of the month and to, somewhat belatedly, remove LA. https://flyertools.kduarte.com

LMK if you have any problems with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.