Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by colberto
So I have to fly from South Florida (MIA) to Helsinki (HEL) on March 31st. I am a US-GOLD but have nothing with AA. Unfortunately neither US nor AA have their own metal flying to Helsinki...so I have to use a One World carrier/AA codeshare for at least one of the legs each way.

So I want to maximize my Gold benefits (I realize there will be no upgrades possible...but at least baggage, early boarding, preferred seat access etc.) and maximize the value of the flight miles toward future elite status with whatever the new AA will be etc.

Currently I am looking at MIA-LHR on AA and then Finnair LHR-HEL. Coming back British Air HEL-LHR and then AA from LHR-MIA.

The screwed up thing is that if I put my US# in the reservation where my status is...it is not clear that I will get any credit for the OneWorld flights on Finnair/BA. If I put my AA# in the reservation...I will get all the miles for sure....but no perks..bonus miles...etc. Plus until I hear about a merger/combine option for accounts to attain status, I'd like to avoid putting any miles in an AA# bucket.

It looks like I will have OneWorld Sapphire status effective on my departure flight date...but I have not heard any final agreement for US Dividend accounts to be credited with miles from OW partners at this date.

Am I smart to use the US# in my reservation regardless and possibly seek credit for the smaller Euro-leg after I fly? Am I smart to try and be on AA metal for the longer segment? Am I thinking this through correctly?

Looks to me like you are doing the right thing using your US# and booking the AA metal for the first leg.

It is obviously somewhat risky to have OW flights on your US# before they announce the earning benefits, but my guess would be that you will earn miles for all legs.

If you don't then you should be able to change your FF# retroactively, since you won't have gained credit for the flights on any program.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Waving things aside, I'd also appreciate it if more posters would check to see if their question had been answered before asking. I have no problem with those who check, can't find anything, and then post.

I'm just going to stick with AA marketed and operated flights until the dust settles ^
Has my question been answered yet?

Agreed - I'm doing the same with US.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
If I had a mile every time someone posted a condescending response on this forum to me, or others, I would have a nice vacation coming to me, too.

I really don't understand it - if you don't have anything nice to say, what value do you get posting condescending remarks? Aren't people part of this community to help fellow travelers?
The fact that upgrades are not yet part of the reciprocal benefits package is known. It's been known since the initial announcement of the reciprocal benefits package back in January. It is as known as a thing can be, and before someone can post in this thread they have to scroll past the wiki bit which... reiterates, in standalone underlined text, that upgrades aren't one of the reciprocal benefits yet.

But still, like clockwork, probably once or twice a day on average, someone scrolls past that and asks if we have reciprocal upgrades yet. I have, several times, posted more humorous attempts at pointing this out, including the handy "look at the side of the plane" guide. But frankly I'm throwing in the towel. Normally I am all about being helpful, but if we're at the point where the answer to a question is literally in front of someone's face, and they just scroll past it and post the question again anyway... well, yeah. That's the give-up point.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA Plat 2 MM, Marriott Ambassador & LTP, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Hilton Gold, United Silver
So - I am not sure why you would expect complimentary upgrades. AA elite flyers do NOT get complimentary first class upgrades (excluding Ex Plat - i.e. equivalent to Chairman's). So US Air Plat is somewhat above AA plat - but similar, upgrades should cost you 500 miles upgrades (which you can buy or earn).
-Shaown

Aggravating last two days travelling with AA, but quick question.

Of the 4 flights I had the last two days, 3 of them had complementary first class upgrades available when I asked. However, in all 3 cases I was told no as my status was on US Airways and therefore could not be given an complimentary upgrade.

Is this going to change in the future? Seems strange to me. For what it's worth I am US Airways Plat.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
The fact that upgrades are not yet part of the reciprocal benefits package is known. It's been known since the initial announcement of the reciprocal benefits package back in January. It is as known as a thing can be, and before someone can post in this thread they have to scroll past the wiki bit which... reiterates, in standalone underlined text, that upgrades aren't one of the reciprocal benefits yet.

But still, like clockwork, probably once or twice a day on average, someone scrolls past that and asks if we have reciprocal upgrades yet. I have, several times, posted more humorous attempts at pointing this out, including the handy "look at the side of the plane" guide. But frankly I'm throwing in the towel. Normally I am all about being helpful, but if we're at the point where the answer to a question is literally in front of someone's face, and they just scroll past it and post the question again anyway... well, yeah. That's the give-up point.
If you read my post as closely as you've undoubtedly read and memorized each post spanning the 65 pages of this thread, you'll see I only used one question mark because I only had one question. My question was "Is this going to change in the future?" There's plenty more to my story as to why I'm asking this question, but didn't feel it necessary to post 1,000 words to support why I'm asking the question I'm asking ... nor should I be required to do so in order to fend off those few condescending travel experts/trolls of FT.

I would guess the answer to my question posed above is yes, but I was more curious as to when this change will occur - perhaps I should have been more specific and, would welcome some flaming around my lack of specificity as a result. However, this is not something addressed in the wiki or by AA.com so I was wondering if anyone had additional information. One gentleman at the AA gate with me after I asked about an upgrade (after the AA representative asked if I would like one, ironically ... perhaps he didn't read the 65 pages here, but I digress), an AA Exec Plat, said (not so condescendingly) the reciprocal first class upgrades would be implemented in "a few months". Thus the reason for my posting this single question to the forum.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: None
Until having reciprocal upgrades is announced, no one knows when or even if they will be available in the future. In theory, when the programs are fully combined there won't be any free or even sticker upgrades (not that I expect that). In other words, if it hasn't been announced all you're asking for is speculation - no one posting here has any concrete info until it's made available publicly by US and/or AA.

You can be sure that once something is announced it will be in either the last couple of pages of this thread or have a thread all it's own. There's no need to read all 965 posts in this thread (including this one). While it may seem snippy, just count the number of posts asking the same question in the last 2 plus a little months - it's so much easier just to write a post asking if or when reciprocal upgrades will be available than do a search or read the wiki.

Jim
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew a combo AA/US award today. When I booked the ticket in January I was still AA Gold. The kiosk recognized that and listed my AA FF# with "AA Gold" next to it. The BP printed correctly with no status on it, still weird though.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
If you read my post as closely as you've undoubtedly read and memorized each post spanning the 65 pages of this thread, you'll see I only used one question mark because I only had one question. My question was "Is this going to change in the future?" There's plenty more to my story as to why I'm asking this question, but didn't feel it necessary to post 1,000 words to support why I'm asking the question I'm asking ... nor should I be required to do so in order to fend off those few condescending travel experts/trolls of FT.

I would guess the answer to my question posed above is yes, but I was more curious as to when this change will occur - perhaps I should have been more specific and, would welcome some flaming around my lack of specificity as a result. However, this is not something addressed in the wiki or by AA.com so I was wondering if anyone had additional information. One gentleman at the AA gate with me after I asked about an upgrade (after the AA representative asked if I would like one, ironically ... perhaps he didn't read the 65 pages here, but I digress), an AA Exec Plat, said (not so condescendingly) the reciprocal first class upgrades would be implemented in "a few months". Thus the reason for my posting this single question to the forum.
You don't have to read thru 65 (or if you have your FT settings changed, 25) pages to find the answer. There are links at the top in the wiki post that contain the latest info. I found it in 30 seconds that decisions haven't been made on upgrade policies and that there would be an announcement made when there was. As it's an important benefit to both airlines' elites, neither airline is going to hide that info.

There would also be a sticky thread discussing it - something like "The Definitive AA/US Upgrading Guide."

Outside of what was announced already when they became a company, the only other change announced was the F meals alignment. We also know that US will not join OW until March 31. Common sense would dictate that any new changes to the FFP won't be announced until it gets closer to joining OW. Even then, what's said may be "we're still working on it - we'll let you know" with no definitive timeframe.

Unfortunately, the ExPlat you talked to could really only give his opinion and his speculation - just like any of us could. We all hope it's sooner rather than later.

A friendly tip - if you think something may have been asked multiple times, try a few searches. People here are much warmer if you begin by saying something like "Hey I did a few searches and didn't come up with anything. Can someone tell me ...?"

People here are generally nice folks, but they're human. The ones that frequent the forum may have seen a question about 20 times already and can get annoyed when someone doesn't at least bother to try to look first before asking.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
With respect to reciprocal upgrades and the significant difference between upgrade policies with US and AA, I seriously doubt we'll be seeing anything before Feb. 2015 - when there's likely going to be a major overhaul of both FF programs creating the new AAdvantage Program. Otherwise I think there would be a major push back from FF members.

As for an announcement about the changes, again we're probably looking at 6 months out from the change date so I'm not holding my breath for any further insight before Aug/Sept time frame.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by colberto
Unfortunately neither US nor AA have their own metal flying to Helsinki...so I have to use a One World carrier/AA codeshare for at least one of the legs each way.
I could've sworn AA flew from Chicago to Helsinki??
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I could've sworn AA flew from Chicago to Helsinki??
They do. I took this flight last summer on a 763. It's seasonal.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:45 pm

I have status with UA and AA but not with US. Which FF number should I use on my upcoming (this week) US flight, please?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by hub-captive
I have status with UA and AA but not with US. Which FF number should I use on my upcoming (this week) US flight, please?
Do you want to earn miles for AA or US? I am assuming this is a codeshare.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Do you want to earn miles for AA or US? I am assuming this is a codeshare.
I want to get free checked luggage, security priority, etc.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: None
Merely having a FF# on US won't get you any of those so I'd use your AA number or UA number if you have *Gold through them. I'm pretty sure that *Gold will get you those things but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct this.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.