Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that weve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that weve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure youre eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline either US Airways or American. If youre booked on a codeshare flight, youll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

The AAdvanatage office is closed today due to MLK day. In the past, I would buy the cheapest AA fare and then call AA and use 15,000 miles+ $75 each way to upgrade to 1st class (domestic). Do you know, if that option still exists - a look at the website and I may now need to buy a certain fare to be eligible to upgrade?

On the flip side, I'm USAirways Silver Preferred - and not sure how that works on AA flights and if I should "take my chances" at getting a free upgrade. The itinerary I'm looking at is Bos/DFW/PSP on AA and PSP/PHX/BOs on US. Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2015 at 11:46 am Reason: restore original post title
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Upgrade AA reso with miles vs US Silver

Currently, US Preferred (any level) do not get upgrades on AA flights. (Except for the ability to select MCE free of charge)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
FYI ... I tried to do something similar (buy US Air ticket and upgrade via AA miles ....) and that won't go ... it is a full earn and burn method only no upgrade instruments ....

+-ADT
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I don't believe there's any way to upgrade AA flights with US miles (or vice versa) yet -- but I suspect it should be possible to upgrade AA flights with AA miles and credit the flights to US (and vice versa).

Can anyone confirm?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Same upgrade process exists with AA. I was able to book my flights (AA), then called and for $150, 30K miles..upgraded entire reservation. It's a chore getting to an actual person but the call-back service works great. I did confirm you can earn miles in any program (US or AA) and can update reservation to reflect.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Please don't mind me

I am just here trying to see what a "reso" is LOL
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
When can I upgrade an AA flight with US Airways DMiles?

I have searched and not sure about the possible answer. I need to book a flight on AA but would like to upgrade with my US Airways miles. The flight will be in July, if that matters.
Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
After it is announced by the airline?

Meaning not yet, Marie, not yet.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
After it is announced by the airline?

Meaning not yet, Marie, not yet.
So I take it if we wanted to work out a swap with someone for AA miles and US miles to upgrade the appropriate flight, it's something we'd have to take to CC?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Superguy
So I take it if we wanted to work out a swap with someone for AA miles and US miles to upgrade the appropriate flight, it's something we'd have to take to CC?

Hmmm, now that's an interesting thought!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Mixing AA/US roundtrip: how to upgrade?

Looking at a DFW-CLT-DFW roundtrip. Choosing flight times, my first choice would put me on AA for the outbound, US for the return. As a 25K elite on both airlines, I'd like to try to upgrade both directions.

Booking 2 one-ways would cost a lot more in this case.

Can I put my AA number on the reservation, fly the outbound, then call to switch numbers? Any other ideas?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: US PP
yep. that should work, as the USDM T&C only remove CPUs if you switch USDM number out.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: Oneworld, Hilton, IHG
Flying a US flight on AA metal. Use AA or BA status? Upgrade options?

New to AA.

Tomorrow flying BCN-JFK-SAN-DFW on flights ticketed by US.
Operated by and flight numbers are AA.

Gold status with AA, emerald with BA.

Any benefit putting BA FF number instead of AA?
What are my paid upgrade options?
If buying an upgrade at airport do you get cabin bonus, etc. if crediting to AA?

I have already picked my MCE seats free.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: None
The only possible wrinkle I can see is that sometimes the ticketing carriers rules apply and since US in not a member of OW yet it could cause problems with using your BA number. But if you do it at the airport, the AA agents should be able to credit your miles to either AA or BA as you prefer.

As for whether there are more benefits crediting to AA or BA, I'll leave that to others since I'm still learning about AA's program and know nothing about BA's.

Jim
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
There are no upgrade options available to you as your ticket is booked as a codeshare.

You do not receive a class of service bonus on paid upgrades at the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.