Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Like what? US and AA are in two completely different systems and the merger closed 2 weeks before the Holidays. You can't expect complete synchronization already.
Like I've said earlier in this thread, anyone who expects complete synchronization already is out of their mind. The past two days I've had an AA EXP and US CSR unable to modify my itinerary that was impacted by the weather because it was a mixed US/AA flight on the same ticket (outbound US, return AA). How in the world are they going to be ready for cross-entity upgrades if they can't even manage that situation (EXP told me they couldn't modify itinerary b/c it was it was a US flight, US told me they couldn't modify it because it was an AA-ticketed flight).

I also had an AA flight at the end of last year that was canceled and re-booked onto US and neither the EXP agent, US Dividend Preferred CSR, or EXP agent down at AA (at DCA) could figure out how to release the ticket the AA EXP agent (on the phone) had booked on.

I would expect that tomorrow's announcement will only encompass the easiest of reciprocal benefits which I view as those that you can currently get as a *G / OWE (aka checked baggage, zone boarding).

I was chatting about that with the US GA earlier today and he told me to expect that the computer systems would be among the last things integrated and to expect it to be a few months.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Any guess as to whether US flights will be able to credit to AA after tomorrow?

All of a sudden I have six flight segments on US over the next month, and I'd prefer to credit them to AA if I can...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Any guess as to whether US flights will be able to credit to AA after tomorrow?

All of a sudden I have six flight segments on US over the next month, and I'd prefer to credit them to AA if I can...
Yes, we are being told that starting tomorrow we can add your AA number to a US PNR.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Yes, we are being told that starting tomorrow we can add your AA number to a US PNR.
SCHWEET! Thanks for filling me in ^

I assume that US miles will also count towards elite status on AA, yes?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Great if AA EQMs (??) will indeed begin crediting for USAir flights taken after Jan 7.... I'll be very interested to see whether 100% RDM elite bonus will also apply for flights taken on US as an AAdvantage Platinum or EXP....
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pfbloom
Great if AA EQMs (??) will indeed begin crediting for USAir flights taken after Jan 7.... I'll be very interested to see whether 100% RDM elite bonus will also apply for flights taken on US as an AAdvantage Platinum or EXP....
If the ability to credit flights across both programs does not include EQMs then one might as well fly JetBlue and get the RDMs
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by uncguy85
Just went on gogo and it appears that there is now reciprocity on the monthly passes. What used to be labelled "AA Monthly Pass" is now "AA/US Monthly Pass."

I presume this means if you already have a monthly pass with one or the other it will also work, but haven't been able to test it yet.
Yes indeed, I have a US pass and was able to use it on two AA flights on Sunday.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I assume that US miles will also count towards elite status on AA, yes?
I sure would not make such an assumption.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I highly doubt that m60.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Cranky Flier reporting US operated flights appearing on AA.com for award booking. Nice...and quick work. Lets hope the momentum keeps going.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
Cranky Flier reporting US operated flights appearing on AA.com for award booking.
Revenue flights are also there. Looking at an SFO-DFW (AA)- CLT (US) right now. One odd itinerary has a UA segment SFO-ORD (UA)- CLT (AA). Still looking around but not ready to book. Plenty of US-only itineraries.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:48 pm

Not seeing revenue flights but reward flights up on US website with VERY good availability!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by tom911
Revenue flights are also there. Looking at an SFO-DFW (AA)- CLT (US) right now. One odd itinerary has a UA segment SFO-ORD (UA)- CLT (AA). Still looking around but not ready to book. Plenty of US-only itineraries.
Are you going to the 49er game?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by lizs
Not seeing revenue flights but reward flights up on US website with VERY good availability!
Search with all carriers?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Are you going to the 49er game?
Think that's a little out of my price range.

I'm wondering if these US flights might have been on the AA website prior to tonight and didn't just appear now, as I am searching "all carriers" to get them to appear. Could it be that these aren't new at all and have always been there? Not a route I've flown in years but one I know US flies nonstop from SFO.

What I was expecting was AA codeshares on US, and I don't see those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.