Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
US Silver can get MCE until the end of February, just like AA Gold:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../benefits.html

***Main Cabin Extra seats are complimentary for Silver Preferred members through February 28, 2014. On March 1, 2014, you’ll get a 50% discount for advance reservations or receive free at check in.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
AA/US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

US silver can get MCE through February.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PRO

I am interested to hear your input on how you think my other half should credit for 2014.

We are based in PHX, with frequent travel to MSY on AA. (US flights to MSY are expensive and inconvenient.)

He is CP on US, and platinum on AA.

I understand trying to avoid the splitting of EQMs this year since it is unclear when they and the statuses will be combined, if at all.

About half his trips are to MSY - the others are to various destinations typically served well by US from PHX.

Domestic upgrades are a priority for him. So do you think it's best to use CP number on US flights, and Plat number + stickers on AA flights? It splits the EQM but at least he could have MCE and a chance at F on AA. Or should he credit all to one program to build EQM for 2015?

Does CP allow you to choose MCE seats at this time? I assume that sticker upgrades can only come out of an AA account, and they are not linked at this time obviously.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by intub8r
Does CP allow you to choose MCE seats at this time? I assume that sticker upgrades can only come out of an AA account, and they are not linked at this time obviously.
I can confirm that CP gets you MCE on aa.com now.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
So as a US Silver you were able to get MCE?
Yes, correct.
I assume that this will work until 2/28/14 unless they extend it for gold again.
They should always have AA Gold, AS MVP, & US Silver on the same level for MCE.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:43 am
Suspended

I have a flight on AA next week. No AA status, CP on US. Flight was booked and I couldn't change my FF# online but I called this AM and agent did it on the phone. She said my status was now recognized Emerald, whatever that means (OW, I know). Anyway no problem getting preferred seats.

Here's a question -- does AA ever offer refunds for previously-purchased preferred seats if you achieve status? Because on one leg I had purchased seats and was wondering if I can now get a refund.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Question PQMs for travel on coninuing *A partners?

The FAQs say:
. . . US Airways will also continue partnerships with some partner airlines, so you'll continue to earn and redeem miles when traveling on Aegan, Air China, Air New Zealand, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.
What they don't say is whether flights booked on these airlines after 3/31 will still count as elite-qualifying miles (or just as regular miles). Has anyone seen an answer on this?

Last edited by PhoenixCMC; Jan 7, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: None
A lot of questions about combining balances for status. My guess is that combined status will start with the 2015 program year based on combined flying in 2014. It just seems like a good point to make the change from two programs to one while avoiding the problem of miles counting for both programs then counting twice when the programs combine.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
Does anyone have experience using US status to get an upgrade and then changing FF numbers? For example, using US status to obtain an upgrade and then crediting to Aegean?

I'd like use US status for upgrade, and then credit to AA. I'd think this is aboveboard now that they are the same company.
We have been told in our briefings that we are not to change numbers once one has been added to the reservation. So switching numbers like in your scenario is not permitted.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
The FAQs say:

What they don't say is whether flights booked on these airlines after 3/31 will still count as elite-qualifying miles (or just as regular miles). Has anyone seen an answer on this?
Note that it doesn't say "New AA will continue" those relationships - only that US Airways will continue those relationships. Nowhere does it say how long those relationships will continue. I'm not optimistic that new AA will have earn and burn relationships with too many of those airlines for the long-term.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

My guess is they never combine balances for status. Beginning in 2015, your balances are combined and you then have status based on your highest status from AA or US.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:16 pm

AAdvantage Card Benefits on US Airways Flight?

I'll be flying out to Puerto Rico next week on US Airways and have been wondering how best to leverage my card benefits.

If I've got the Citi AAdvantage card that includes a free checked back - will that apply for myself and anyone flying with me?

I've also got the US Airways card but I don't think it comes with the first checked bag free and doesn't provide check-in/boarding privileges to those traveling to you.

Would I put my AAdvantage number down on the reservation to get those benefits? Or would I be better off just putting my Dividend Miles number down?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
My guess is they never combine balances for status. Beginning in 2015, your balances are combined and you then have status based on your highest status from AA or US.
I'm going to disagree. My WAG is that if you fly 50k qualifying miles on US this year and 50k qualifying miles on AA this year, then you'll be EXP for the 2015 membership year.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Note that it doesn't say "New AA will continue" those relationships - only that US Airways will continue those relationships. Nowhere does it say how long those relationships will continue. I'm not optimistic that new AA will have earn and burn relationships with too many of those airlines for the long-term.
Agreed, I don't expect them to last beyond year end.

However, I am planning a trip in May (with all my 2013 CP upgrade certs used and no 2014 certs available until April 1), so I'm trying to figure out best way to get EQM credit for a trip in Envoy or equivalent. One of the continuing partners has affordable business class flights, which might make sense if miles are EQMs for US; but definitely not otherwise.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm going to disagree. My WAG is that if you fly 50k qualifying miles on US this year and 50k qualifying miles on AA this year, then you'll be EXP for the 2015 membership year.
I'd not only agree but would wager a small amount that you're right. Anything else and they're effectively saying that some miles don't count for status. The only thing I'm unsure about is AA's points system since it's a foreign concept to me. I'd assume that they'll either drop it to match US or apply it retroactively to US flights to match AA. Heck, US could even be tracking point totals for US credited accounts and just not showing it yet.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.