Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
Not combining mileage would save them negligible money, and would create immense ill will and bad press. That's why every merged carrier has used combined totals, to my knowledge -- including US following the HP merger, and AA following the TW purchase.
They'll certainly eventually combine redeemable miles, but for the short-term, my guess (having worked on enterprise systems) is that from an implementation standpoint, this was the easiest to do. They already have framework for crediting to/from other carriers and giving benefits to their elites, and could fill in the pieces and data necessary to work with the other half of new AA.

Also, some pieces of the equation (e.g., EQP on AA) may not map nicely to data on the other half's backend.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Lifetime US Club Member Access to AA club = YES!

I got the e-mail from US this evening while in the taxi to Sao Paulo airport (GRU). Travelling tonight on United to Washington (IAD), but I decided to skip the United Club and try the Admirals Club in Terminal 2 using my US Airways Club lifetime membership.

The club was not crowded when I arrived. They were very nice, but weren't prepared for my card. They explained that they had been trained and had a lot of information (including pictures of various cards that were permitted and not), but nothing about lifetime members of US Club. They invited me to stay and asked to keep my card while they verified the new rules (which, again, was very nice of them). About an hour later they paged me and gave me back my card. The verdict? Yes, I can come in any time they are open.

I am writing from the AA Club. Certainly a nice change of pace.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:28 pm

Now I could search a roundtrip in business to north Asia, e.g. ORD-PEK on usairways.com, and they are AA flights. The price seems correct at 90K miles. I cannot go to the final page to confirm that as my balance is low.

I was wondering if AA business roundtrip to China is bookable with US miles at 90K? Can I mix AA flights and *A flights when redeeming US airways miles?

Thanks,
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by superflush
Combining elite miles would allow some people to get higher status than they otherwise would, which is probably not something that they would like to have happen.
I really just can't fathom why you think the new AA cares that a small handful of people have slightly higher status than they otherwise would.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by shaddie
Just booked an award on US site using US miles on AA flight. Seat choice does not come up and during booking it said seat map not available. After completing and paying it gave me US confirm # and said AA confirm # would be coming later, or something like that.

Question is can I call AA when I get their confirm # and pick seats and on low award can I get MCE seats since I am CP and Gold on AA.
I asked the same question here:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
A family member (no status on either US or AA) has given me his account

I am Star Alliance Gold (UA and TK) and AA Gold (through 2/14)

I was surprised to discover when trying to book an award trip for early February that all the flights offered for for my itinerary were AA flights.

When I went as far as the confirmation page, and clicked on baggage policies link, it noted that the bag fees were waived for "Star Alliance Gold"! Not sure how that is going to work on an AA metal flight on a US ticket.

I also noted that when I put in my AA Gold number in the dummy reservation, it wouldn't let me select any seats.

I would have gone ahead and ticketed and seen whether I could indeed get More-Room seats by calling AA once it had ticketed except that I read the fine print and was surprised to see that there is no 24-hour refund rule for award tickets, but it costs you $150 to re-deposit.

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger not knowing whether I indeed get a free bag (am delivering a Christmas present that will probably weigh 40 pounds) and whether I will get to choose premium seats for free.

Any wisdom here? If this is covered elsewhere, mea culpa and feel free to refer me
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by dtremit
Combining elite miles would allow some people to get higher status than they otherwise would, which is probably not something that they would like to have happen.
I really just can't fathom why you think the new AA cares that a small handful of people have slightly higher status than they otherwise would.
Because once they state that they will combine balances then people will start to figure out ways to exploit it.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dingalpha
I was wondering if AA business roundtrip to China is bookable with US miles at 90K?
It appears to be, yes. The "American Airlines Award Travel Chart" linked in the "Earning and Redeeming Miles" section of this page confirms that AA flights to North Asia are 60k r/t in Y, 90k in J, and 120k in F.

Can I mix AA flights and *A flights when redeeming US airways miles?
No. From that same chart: "Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways. American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partners."
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:44 pm

Thanks. Don't know how I missed that.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Because once they state that they will combine balances then people will start to figure out ways to exploit it.
How, exactly? No one has yet presented an example of an "exploit" that doesn't benefit AA in the end.

Did people "exploit it" when AA bought TW, when HP merged with US, when NW merged with DL, or CO merged with UA? In all of those cases, the balances were combined, and I don't recall anyone having a problem with the result.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: None
But how many in the grand scheme of things? A relative handful?

I'm not talking about them refusing to combine total miles, just elite qualifying miles for 2014.
And how many would be upset over not combining EQMs. At least those who have already booked *A or OW travel - heaven forbid that one of those trip EQMs not count. Those who have already traveled? Heaven forbid that those EQMs don't count. Far more people could be affected adversely by your scheme than would gain from just combining EQMs.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
From US site:
Until we integrate our loyalty programs, miles and segments cannot be combined between the Dividend Miles and AAdvantage programs to qualify for elite status.

Doesn't this seem to answer the question? Based on this, it appears you can't combine segs or miles for status. You can book award travel on either AA or US, furthermore you can choose to have segs/miles banked in either AA or US, but you can't expect them to say customer has 24 segs on AA, and 100 on US, therefore they have 124 segs for status earning purposes on the new AA.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:15 pm

The way I read it is that you can't combine accounts for status now. Look at the statement - until we integrate our loyalty programs...

I assume that miles/segments/points/whatever will automatically be combined when the programs are combined.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
From US site:
Until we integrate our loyalty programs, miles and segments cannot be combined between the Dividend Miles and AAdvantage programs to qualify for elite status.

Doesn't this seem to answer the question? Based on this, it appears you can't combine segs or miles for status. You can book award travel on either AA or US, furthermore you can choose to have segs/miles banked in either AA or US, but you can't expect them to say customer has 24 segs on AA, and 100 on US, therefore they have 124 segs for status earning purposes on the new AA.
No one is arguing that they're going to combine miles while there are two separate programs ("until we integrate"). The question is what will happen when they integrate.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
I interpreted Superflush's comments to be questioning whether for 2014 miles/segments on AA and US will be combined for status calculations.

It seems the new AA is putting it out there that you can earn now on US and AA. What they have not said, is that you can combine AA miles and US miles total for 2014 status purposes. It seems many will take away that misconception. One should decide whether they want to accumulate US or AA miles this year, but wouldn't be advantageous to accumulate a combination of both (if your are concerned about status).

Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:37 pm

Gotcha. I think it goes without saying that combined miles/etc won't count for status until the programs are combined. I've theorized that the 2015 program year would be a good time to integrate the two programs - everyone starts at the same place on the 1st of the year anyway - but that's just speculation. I do think combining programs at the start of a year is the best time, but that could be 2016 instead of 2015.

Whenever the combination happens, I see no reason not to combine miles/segs/etc for combined status purposes. So what if a few people get a higher status than deserved? That's better than a lot more people losing out on status that they should have.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.