Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
JFK has a different area for AA Gold Check-in.
Yes. It's "separate but equal" from the documented Business Class check-in benefit. With huge lines 24/7 and usually one agent working. Two if you're lucky.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold - HH Diamond
AA/US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Booked US flight on aa.com, and can't review/change/select seats.

For now...a call to US is in order to obtain access, yes? AA agent last night didn't know.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Booked US flight on aa.com, and can't review/change/select seats.

For now...a call to US is in order to obtain access, yes? AA agent last night didn't know.
If you have the US record locator, you should be able to log onto US and choose seats there. If not, call US.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:24 am

I know we get EQM and RDM but do I received EQP and segments on US flights?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold - HH Diamond
And that's the issue. No US locator, so a call is in order. thanks. ^
Originally Posted by hginPHL
If you have the US record locator, you should be able to log onto US and choose seats there. If not, call US.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LowRoller
I know we get EQM and RDM but do I received EQP and segments on US flights?
Yes, according to this chart:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...us-airways.jsp
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:50 am

I booked a US flight last night using our company travel portal (concur). I put my AA FF into the US FF field and booked. Though I was able to pick seats it did not carry through to the reservation. I called US and they were able to assign my seats very easily once I gave them my AA FF number. Living in Dallas, I do not anticipate flying US that much in the next 12-18 months but going to PHX they were the better option. Hopefully this was just a concur thing that either I did wrong or they can tweak moving forward.

Last edited by pasant; Jan 9, 2014 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Currently flying SAN-PHX-EWR using companion pass. Once AA # was entered in to the reservation, it was possible to reserve exit row seats on an otherwise full flight. Gate agent in PHX claim that recip upgrades will begin in March
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by diver858
Currently flying SAN-PHX-EWR using companion pass. Once AA # was entered in to the reservation, it was possible to reserve exit row seats on an otherwise full flight. Gate agent in PHX claim that recip upgrades will begin in March
That is indeed good news if it happens but how is it going to work? CPUs they way US does it or the AA way - stickers for the lowest tiers and CPUs for EXPs only? That makes a huge difference. Unless they take the current approach of adopting the operating airline's policies, I. e. when flying on US, all elites are eligible for upgrades and vice versa - when flying on American, only US CP get CPUs, the other 3 tiers have to purchase stickers.

That is very reminiscent of the way WN/FL are handling their merger. I hate the way they did it and if AA/US go down the same road, I'd seriously reconsider giving them any business during this transition time. Once they get their act together and the new structure of AAdvantage is announced, I'll see if it makes sense to me and my travel needs.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Thought this was an interesting quote from this Dallas Morning News article:

Were biased to taking the policies of the larger airline to keep disruptions to customers and employees to a minimum, said Philipovitch [AA's VP of Customer Experience]. But in some cases, if the US Airways policy is better, it will be kept. In other cases, both airlines policies could be shelved and a new one created, she said.
That would explain their rationale when it comes to preferring many of pmAA's policies. Gee, if only UACO had done that! Will be interesting to see which of pmUS's policies stay and what new policies will be generated.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: None
Quotes are nice but actions are better. I remember that in the US/PI merger Ed Colodney (US CEO) did roadshows talking about "taking the best of both carriers...". That lasted until the changes started, then it was the US way or the highway. They even painted trim in non-public areas of buildings, covering the PI blue with US burgundy.

Jim
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I took it as a US elite DM member (DM Gold =*G for now) paid with miles from their DM account (non-AA account) and got MCE/Preferred seat selection on the AA flights, all on the AA website. Isn't this the way it supposed to work this week?

Jim
Fwiw, I just flew on an Avios award booking and used by US Silver DM # to get complimentary MCE. This is how it is supposed to work, if everything is working okay.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: None
Refresh my memory...I see the term mentioned here and there but Avios is whose program?

Jim
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Refresh my memory...I see the term mentioned here and there but Avios is whose program?

Jim
It's British Airways' program (and Iberia's as well).
It is quite compelling to use Avios miles to book short and mid-haul flights within the United States on AA, because of the distance-based zones of the Avios and because there are no fuel surcharges on those flights (whereas a BA flight to London would have insane fuel surcharges). If you do an Avios award booking, you can simply erase your BA #, then use the record locator to add your AA# to the flight. Then, you will get any elite benefits you have with AA on that award booking. You should be able to do the same with a US DM # now, and receive the elite benefits.

Last edited by superflush; Jan 10, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Abidjan
And that's the issue. No US locator, so a call is in order. thanks. ^
You could have also used the AA 001 ticket number on the usairways.com website, no need to call for the US locator. You would get the locator as a free bonus as well.

Originally Posted by wmz
I'm currently Chairman's on US Airways. I'd like to attain EXP on American, because of the SWUs and lower threshold (100 segments instead of 120 for CP). Is there any way I can use my US Airways FF# to get benefits (upgrades, preferred seating, etc), but credit the mileage/segments to AA?
Answered in other threads and this thread, you have to pick right now. Upgrade or lower qualification style (100 vs. 120). You cannot use one for 'status' and one for 'credit'.

If a reciprocal upgrade policy is announced, this will change your plan. If you don't mind not getting first class, go for AA. If upgrades matter (at 100 segments, likely unless they are small planes), then you have to stick with US and add your AA flights there as well.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.