Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: US Gold | DL Gold
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
I have an upcoming trip on AA and have put my USDM miles in the reservation and was able to select MCE seats.
I am GP on US and can also confirm that I was able to select MCE and Preferred seats (for no additional charge) when booking on AA.com using my US FF#
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by guigoortiz
I had a conversation with the Dividend Miles Help Desk today about matching my AAdvantage Elite Status on US Airways while the merger gets completed, they said that there's nothing in place to match Elite from AA for now, that I can buy up the status Silver for 900.00 +/- ..

This does not work for me, because I have to fly to CLT out of FLL twice a month for the next year, and the only way that I can upgrade is with 6000 dividend miles x trip.
If you're going to be flying that much, an elite trial would be much more cost effective than buying up:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
EXP Complimentary upgrade and/or drink/snacks on US metal?

Deciding to take one for the team, I booked a US flight from SJC-PHX-YVR for Jan 31.

After call US to add my EXP AA # to my reservation I was assigned 20D as the "best available seat" on an A319 from SJC to PHX.

I'm trying to determine what EXP benefits are possible on this flight? Is there a process to request an upgrade? Assuming the worst, are the AA EXP benefits of snack/drink in coach available to me?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Deciding to take one for the team, I booked a US flight from SJC-PHX-YVR for Jan 31.

After call US to add my EXP AA # to my reservation I was assigned 20D as the "best available seat" on an A319 from SJC to PHX.

I'm trying to determine what EXP benefits are possible on this flight? Is there a process to request an upgrade? Assuming the worst, are the AA EXP benefits of snack/drink in coach available to me?
No and no. Their is not a reciprocal upgrade process in place at this time. You get the benefits of the equivalent status of carrier you're flying (so, for example, EXP gets free MoveUp on US, while US CP gets free the free food and beverage benefit on AA).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Anyone know about using CP Envoy upgrade certs on AA?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
No and no. Their is not a reciprocal upgrade process in place at this time. You get the benefits of the equivalent status of carrier you're flying (so, for example, EXP gets free MoveUp on US, while US CP gets free the free food and beverage benefit on AA).
Thank you for the quick response. I'm looking forward to hours of misery - those A319 aircraft are nightmares.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: None
Can't yet as far as I know - has to be on US metal.

Jim
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:22 pm

Any experiences in how long it takes for miles to post? (Specifically US flights to AAdvantage)
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Do you get US AIr elite qualifying miles when flying on AA or just redeemable miles?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by morrisunc
Do you get US AIr elite qualifying miles when flying on AA or just redeemable miles?
You get qualifying miles as well on both airlines.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Wanted to follow up here on same day standby. In STL on Monday the ticket counter said that it was not available yet. They asked me for my US status and when I said I had none but AA EXP they looked in the system and said no. After going through a big book at the counter and me standing my ground, they finally put me in the system. Once I got to the gate in STL the gate agent also said that they don't do it yet, and when I explained to her what happened upstairs the gate agent seemed surprised.

Once in CLT (where my SDS flight was) the agents there knew exactly how to do it, and got me on the early flight.

So it seems the rules are still hit and miss where you are at. What is also funny is the STL gate agent let me board with first class (like a EXP would on AA) but in CLT they made me wait until group 1.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I have two itineraries operated by AA. One is an Avios award booking and one a revenue ticket booked through AA.com.

I've tried entering my AA confirmation #s and then ticket numbers into the US Airways website but just get an error message. US Airways told me there is no such thing as a US Airways confirmation # on an AA booking, so I can't view it that way either. I called AA and they added my DM # to the AA reservations, but they were unable to assign preferred or MCE seats over the phone. Still can't find the reservations either in my profile on the US Airways website or by searching.

How is this supposed to work? Should I be able to select preferred seats on the US Airways website or through the AA website?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by vatali
So it seems the rules are still hit and miss where you are at. What is also funny is the STL gate agent let me board with first class (like a EXP would on AA) but in CLT they made me wait until group 1.
F boarding separately from elites has been standard procedure on US, so it may take a while for the new process to change.

(Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed they've gone with the AA process on this; I'm concerned that non-upgraded elites are going to end up putting bags in F overheads before actual F pax get to them...)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by dtremit
F boarding separately from elites has been standard procedure on US, so it may take a while for the new process to change.

(Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed they've gone with the AA process on this; I'm concerned that non-upgraded elites are going to end up putting bags in F overheads before actual F pax get to them...)
I'd be concerned someone would attain EXP without knowing that F bin poaching is unacceptable behavior.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dtremit

AA FA's are pretty vigilant about this. If someone puts their bag in the F overhead and starts to walk to Y they normally confirm you ticketed in F or else make you take your bag down. Have seen this many times on AA. Only exceptions I have seen are when the flight is completely boarded and there is empty space in F bin for a Y passenger who can't find a spot for a bag in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.