FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:35 pm
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by shaddie
Just booked an award on US site using US miles on AA flight. Seat choice does not come up and during booking it said seat map not available. After completing and paying it gave me US confirm # and said AA confirm # would be coming later, or something like that.

Question is can I call AA when I get their confirm # and pick seats and on low award can I get MCE seats since I am CP and Gold on AA.
I asked the same question here:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
A family member (no status on either US or AA) has given me his account

I am Star Alliance Gold (UA and TK) and AA Gold (through 2/14)

I was surprised to discover when trying to book an award trip for early February that all the flights offered for for my itinerary were AA flights.

When I went as far as the confirmation page, and clicked on baggage policies link, it noted that the bag fees were waived for "Star Alliance Gold"! Not sure how that is going to work on an AA metal flight on a US ticket.

I also noted that when I put in my AA Gold number in the dummy reservation, it wouldn't let me select any seats.

I would have gone ahead and ticketed and seen whether I could indeed get More-Room seats by calling AA once it had ticketed except that I read the fine print and was surprised to see that there is no 24-hour refund rule for award tickets, but it costs you $150 to re-deposit.

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger not knowing whether I indeed get a free bag (am delivering a Christmas present that will probably weigh 40 pounds) and whether I will get to choose premium seats for free.

Any wisdom here? If this is covered elsewhere, mea culpa and feel free to refer me