Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Failed miserably for me. Was told because of something with the AA ticket, nothing could be changed in advance for the USair flight. No Chairmans upgrade, no mileage upgrade, nothing. Was able to get put on list at gate though. The whole experience was really frustrating.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Agree with stefg1007. No advance upgrade for me whatsoever on a US flight with AA ticket stock. Upgrade at the three-day window was given a firm thumbs down even though F was basically wide open.

Even after a call to the Preferred desk, I got nowhere. Had to be put on the list on the day of departure at the airport.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
On my recent US flights booked on AA stock, I was able to select a first class seat during online checkin but was not eligible for automatic upgrades before T-24.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: US Silver; Starwood Platinum
I am current US Silver Preferred and closing in on Gold. I flew to Hong Kong last week on AA Columbus-JFK (Economy) and JFK - Hong Kong on Cathay Business. I came back Hong-Kong - Chicago/O'Hare, (Business) and the AA O'Hare - Columbus (Economy but this flight got cancelled).

Ticket was purchased through travel agent and my US Airways number was used. My AA boarding pass said Ruby on it.

The Columbus - JFK flight was practically empty in both coach and business. Maybe one or two people in business. I was not offered an upgrade.

On the way home the Chicago-Columbus flight was initially delayed and ultimately got cancelled due to a mechanical issue. I called the 1-800 AA number but they couldn't get me on any of the remaining flights that night and rebooked me for a flight on the next morning. I ended up buying a flight on Southwest later that night and cabbing it to Midway so I could get home. I asked them to pull my checked bag and they indicated it would take 45 - 60 min. I waited an hour but no bag so ended leaving without it. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled with my first AA experience coming off of flying mainly US that last few years. My bag did arrive in Columbus the next day and I was able to pick it up at the airport.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Per the T&C:
Flights must be sold as a US Airways operated flight to be eligible; flight purchased as a codeshare through American Airlines or one of our partners will not be eligible for upgrade.
Also extensively discussed in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by dtremit
Per the T&C:

Also extensively discussed in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Well there are 73 pages on that thread now so.... Seriously thanks for the "official" language on how these are handled. I figured it wasn't going to happen until there is a complete merger of the airlines and FF programs...
Old May 1, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: None
Reciprocal upgrades aren't available yet and no word on when they will be so not getting an upgrade as a US elite on an AA metal flight is the way it is for now. If anything, blame Parker rather than AA.

When you take matters into your own hands - buying a ticket on another carrier rather than waiting for the flight you were rescheduled on - you take a chance with your checked bags. It's not like the ramp folks have nothing else to do other than look for your bag.

These things happen no matter what name is on the side of the airplane. You can either take it in stride or not, but it happens. If you're gonna be unhappy with whatever airline it happpens on it won't take that long before you run out of airlines to be happy with.

Jim
Old May 2, 2014, 7:48 am

Can I change my frequent flier number with AA after upgrading?

Specifically, I am life time gold on AA with an upcoming trip on AA metal. I have an upgrade request in using my 500-mile stickers. I want to earn US miles for the trip but have my AA number in the reservation for purposes of trying to get the upgrade. If the upgrade clears, can I change to my US dividend miles number without risking the upgrade? How?
Old May 5, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately once your upgrade clears you can not change your FFY number. By calling the AA Gold Desk in your case they may be able to change it, but you will lose your upgrade. I have same issues being a US Chairman and AA Platinum.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I have had some recent good experiences on/with AA as a US CP.

On a recent AA flight, the FA offered the EXPs next to, in front of, and across from from me a beverage and snack. I asked if I showed on the manifest as an EXP and she checked with her colleague and said "actually yes, what can I get you?" It makes no recriprocal upgrades a bit better...

On another recent AA flight, it took of and then returned to the airport. I was going to miss my connection, so I called the CP line and asked to be connected to the EXP desk. They put me on a direct flight, arriving before my original flight and gave me a voucher for my troubles without asking for anything. No, I was not expecting any compensation.

Finally, I flew US NYC-CLT-GIG r/t while the 332 was still on the latter portion of the route, and used a CP upgrade to J. Mrs. OG was on an AA award on AA metal and I was able to switch her to my flight for no fee after having the CP desk work with the EXP desk. Not only were we on the same flight, but US J on the A330 is much much better than the AA J to GIG so all was great.

I recognize there will be issues, but so far so good. I was highly skeptical of AA, having had numerous terrible experiences over the years, but it seems like the merger is on the right track.

Now if they could only figure out reciprocal upgrades...
Old May 11, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Organgrinder
I have had some recent good experiences on/with AA as a US CP.

On a recent AA flight, the FA offered the EXPs next to, in front of, and across from from me a beverage and snack. I asked if I showed on the manifest as an EXP and she checked with her colleague and said "actually yes, what can I get you?" It makes no recriprocal upgrades a bit better...

On another recent AA flight, it took of and then returned to the airport. I was going to miss my connection, so I called the CP line and asked to be connected to the EXP desk. They put me on a direct flight, arriving before my original flight and gave me a voucher for my troubles without asking for anything. No, I was not expecting any compensation.

Finally, I flew US NYC-CLT-GIG r/t while the 332 was still on the latter portion of the route, and used a CP upgrade to J. Mrs. OG was on an AA award on AA metal and I was able to switch her to my flight for no fee after having the CP desk work with the EXP desk. Not only were we on the same flight, but US J on the A330 is much much better than the AA J to GIG so all was great.

I recognize there will be issues, but so far so good. I was highly skeptical of AA, having had numerous terrible experiences over the years, but it seems like the merger is on the right track.

Now if they could only figure out reciprocal upgrades...
Sounds great. It appears they went above and beyond in both cases to accommodate a US CP and wife (with status unknown). Unfortunately, I'm afraid for all of us that are not at the highest level in either program, I. e. US CP or AA EXP, good service is quite elusive. But I'm not gonna rain on your parade. Enjoy it while it lasts!
Old May 14, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: US CP
Was told by the agents in ORD last week that changes are being made to the US AA programs for benefits on 12-June-14. She didn't elude to what those changes were, but I'd expect to see something soon.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by pntherpaw86
Got a complementary upgrade on an AA flight (ORD-PIT, booked through AA.com using my US FF#) as a US Gold. Scanned my boarding pass, went beep-beep, he handed me my new boarding pass (that was already printed and sitting there) and said you've been upgraded. It was a bit of an unusual situation due to a ground stop in Chicago, with the flight being delayed well over 2 hours. There were still at least 4 open FC seats on the flight, too. Regardless of how or why I got upgraded, it was a pleasant surprise to end a long day of flying!
I received an u/g on a changed (due to WXD) US flight as an EXP. However, it was only PHL to LGA on a 190. Unfortunately didn't make that flight either because of the HUGE need for PHL to get a sky train instead of the slow poke bus service from F to B/A.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Still no official word on reciprocal upgrades, but while (unsuccessfully) trying to UG an AA BOS-DFW flight today as a US CP, the gate agent said that she thinks it'll be possible "any minute now." Obviously, that's not to be taken literally, but does support the rumors that there's likely some sort of announcement occurring in the near future.

In the mean time, and as others have also reported, GA's seem to have a little leeway to manually upgrade you as a top-tier preferred from the opposite airline if they like you and if the conditions are right. Today, the GA said that she would have bumped me up, but because she already had 6 people on the waiting list she would have gotten in trouble for doing it.

(Random side note: As I was already laughing a little about the "any minute now" comment, my eye caught the standby list on the gate monitor. The POP,E was 4th in line for a seat, and successfully cleared standby.)

Last edited by sjpmurph01; May 14, 2014 at 5:34 pm
Old May 15, 2014, 5:56 am

Yes, word on the street is that some progress toward reciprocal upgrades is imminent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.