Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by johnatDFW64
I wonder if US Airways could take advantage of some of these AA planes that are just sitting around in Roswell. This satellite image from Mapfin is unbelievable!

http://mapfin.blogspot.com/2014/05/t...swell-row.html
Those MD80's are done......
Old May 15, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Anyone notice the hidden nugget of information regarding reciprocal upgrades in the WSJ article today?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/airfa...&mg=reno64-wsj

American expects to be able to offer reciprocal upgrade benefits within a matter of weeks, spokesman Casey Norton said.
Looks like reciprocal upgrades are coming our way soon! ^
Old May 15, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Still don't know how they do it. Unless they just put US elites behind AA elites, and vice versa.

I think it could be easy to do for AA elites on US, but not sure how they do it on AA.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
wonder whether they're going to adopt CPU for all elites.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by johnatDFW64
I wonder if US Airways could take advantage of some of these AA planes that are just sitting around in Roswell. This satellite image from Mapfin is unbelievable!

http://mapfin.blogspot.com/2014/05/t...swell-row.html
looks like 762s as well. they're probably too ancient to be sold for anything besides scrap
Old May 15, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Well that would make sense, but I think the would be a big change to spring with little notice for AA people, right?
Old May 15, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Well that would make sense, but I think the would be a big change to spring with little notice for AA people, right?
Because the new AA has no history of doing that...

For clarity, I'm referring to the FF program and bag fee changes last month.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:18 pm

Data point on upgrades.

I have a TUS-ABQ through PHX day trip tomorrow. I am AA EXP with my AA number in my travel profile for US through my corporate travel site.

I checked in today and the PHX-ABQ flight was upgraded to First Class automatically. None of the others segments were upgraded, but the upgrade from PHX to ABQ was a nice surprise.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alexeo
Data point on upgrades.

I have a TUS-ABQ through PHX day trip tomorrow. I am AA EXP with my AA number in my travel profile for US through my corporate travel site.

I checked in today and the PHX-ABQ flight was upgraded to First Class automatically. None of the others segments were upgraded, but the upgrade from PHX to ABQ was a nice surprise.
Welcome to FT Alexeo!
Old May 15, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by sriegert
looks like 762s as well. they're probably too ancient to be sold for anything besides scrap
There's a pretty big market for parts and electronics.

Jim
Old May 16, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Alexeo
Data point on upgrades.

Were they booked as AA or US flights?
Old May 16, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Looking at a flight to/from BOS in late July. Fare on US via PHL much less than on AA via DFW. Should I take a chance and assume I'll be eligible for upgrades on US by then? If no, then I'll probably go with DL.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: None
Assuming it's not a TATL, that's only about 2 months from now. While no one can say for sure when reciprocal upgrades will be available or what the specifics will be when available - stickers ala AA, unlimited ala US, something else. If the upgrade is important enough to change carriers over I'd go ahead and plan on a carrier that you know will get you the best chance for an upgrade. So if DL is competitive with US fares I'd go ahead and book on them.

Keep in mind that no carrier is going to guarantee you a free upgrade. You weigh the chances, play the odds and hope for the best.

Jim
Old May 22, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Did anyone else catch the following nugget in the May 15 WSJ article describing the fare inconsistencies between the 2 websites?

...American expects to be able to offer reciprocal upgrade benefits within a matter of weeks, spokesman Casey Norton said...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...467397870.html

If the link does not work, try searching for: Airfare Riddle: Same Flight, Different Prices.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
It shouldn't be a secret - it's been happening since January and while it's been a pain in the neck sometimes, I for one am grateful everything hasn't moved up to US's pricing points!!!

Will be happy about the upgrades too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.