Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Superguy
You do. Get your US locator code and try accessing it under manage reservations on US's site.
Already tried that, I can see the empty exit row seats, I can see there is no charge, but any change I make will not stick, it just reverts back to my original seat after I accept the change.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Already tried that, I can see the empty exit row seats, I can see there is no charge, but any change I make will not stick, it just reverts back to my original seat after I accept the change.
I've had no problem doing this in the scenario you are describing, so something else is going on here.

If nothing else, US absolutely can see your status, and that from any oneworld airline.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
May want to remove and re-enter your AA number and give that a try. Maybe there was a glitch in reading it between the two systems.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
May want to remove and re-enter your AA number and give that a try. Maybe there was a glitch in reading it between the two systems.
Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no option available to remove it on either AA or US websites and it is correctly shown on both anyway.

I'm wondering if the problem is just that it is a US Airways Express flight?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no option available to remove it on either AA or US websites and it is correctly shown on both anyway.

I'm wondering if the problem is just that it is a US Airways Express flight?
Nope, I've had no problems with getting elite seats on Express flights.

There are just many issues on these mixed itineraries. For example I had an AA flight booked as the US codeshare on a very mixed ticket, and it wouldn't let me check-in for the flight. The resolution was to separate that one flight into a new PNR and re-issue the ticket.

If getting an exit row seat is very important to you for this flight, I'd call US and conference in the EXP line and have them work it out.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Automatically upgraded on US flight despite no US status

I'm an execplat flying tomorrow on US metal, on a ticket bought from the US website, under my AA number. I was surprised to see that I had been automatically upgraded when I checked in at the 24 hour mark.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jackonferry
I'm an execplat flying tomorrow on US metal, on a ticket bought from the US website, under my AA number. I was surprised to see that I had been automatically upgraded when I checked in at the 24 hour mark.
Wow! Maybe that's something new that hasn't been announced?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:20 pm

Yes this is very interesting.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:41 pm

Please excuse me if this is the wrong place and feel free to move. I've flown AA for years and bounce between gold and platinum. Gold this year, guess I should haved looked at some mileage runs, but that's another story.

Anyway I'm trying to understand how things work when I book US Air flights.

"Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades
For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).
US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.
"

So US Air does not allow even their top elite flyers free access to any seat on the plane? What happens if the "ChoiceSeats" are the only available seats? They told me in that case, I either had to pay, or they would "assign me a seat at check-in." Is that really how it works? If I were say Exec Platinum and couldn't get a guaranteed seat, I'd be quite unhappy. As it is, I'm gold and not very happy.

How do those who normally fly US Air handle this issue?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA 1K / HH Diamond / Bonvoy TIT
Full fare economy? Or other fare class?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by lucastx
What happens if the "ChoiceSeats" are the only available seats? They told me in that case, I either had to pay, or they would "assign me a seat at check-in." Is that really how it works?
Yes, that is how it works, but in general you don't want the ChoiceSeats anyway, the Preferred seats are better.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by maizenblue07
If getting an exit row seat is very important to you for this flight, I'd call US and conference in the EXP line and have them work it out.
No, it is not at all important fortunately as it is a one hour flight in a Dash-8, it was more a case of trying to understand what should be possible and trying to figure out why it wasn't.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: None
So US Air does not allow even their top elite flyers free access to any seat on the plane?
Not quite. Preferred and regular coach seats are free. Only ChoiceSeats carry a charge for everyone if you want to pick one of them in advance.

What happens if the "ChoiceSeats" are the only available seats? They told me in that case, I either had to pay, or they would "assign me a seat at check-in." Is that really how it works?
That is correct. Choice seats are only free if auto-assigned at check-in (including at OLCI).

The trick is to start watching preferred seats when the CP window opens at T-7 days. As elites get upgraded, some of those preferred coach seats (which includes exit row) will become available and you can snag one then.

Jim
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:37 pm

So upgrades begin on US Air 7 days in advance? Then look for the preferred seats starting then?

How does it typically work out if you can't grab one? Are you safe going to the gate without a seat assigned? That concept makes me really nervous. I can just feel 29E coming my way.

Also on US air equipment, on the 319s the exit rows seem miserable. Don't recline, no adjustable head rest, no extra leg room and seem to sit very upright. Is that the case on other equipment as well?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: None
So upgrades begin on US Air 7 days in advance? Then look for the preferred seats starting then?
In theory. US has tended to wait till closer in for the last 6-9 months but starting at T-7 is the safe way to go.

How does it typically work out if you can't grab one? Are you safe going to the gate without a seat assigned? That concept makes me really nervous. I can just feel 29E coming my way.
That's the risk of waiting till you get to the gate. FWIW I'd recommend checking every 2-3 hours once inside T-4 days.

Also on US air equipment, on the 319s the exit rows seem miserable. Don't recline, no adjustable head rest, no extra leg room and seem to sit very upright. Is that the case on other equipment as well?
Some say that 10A/F are the best seats in the house on the 319 - no seat in the row ahead of you so tons of legroom, recline, underseat/OHB storage, etc. Since they vary a lot in age, some have the adjustable head rest and some don't.

US doesn't have MCE like AA so all the seats are basically the same except exit rows and bulkhead. Even preferred seats have the same pitch as all the other coach seats. US just took the cabin and divided the seats into preferred, choice, regular and exit row (from front to back).

The other equipment varies depending on plane type - the best thing to do is check one of the seat map sites like seatguru.com.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.