Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
FYI: We transited YUL from ORD on the way to ZRH yesterday - initially denied access to the Maple Leaf Lounge due to the fact they apparently already wiped US Airways Club Memberships out of their systems. Desk clerk had to manually check us in, and after all of that work (more painful to watch than actual effort exerted) he realized due to our class of travel on Swiss we should have been allowed in the lounge regardless.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:46 pm

Hi. Quick question, I am flying US operated by AA on March 30th. I am Star Alliance Gold. Will I get any benefits? Need to check one bag.
Thanks
Navid
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by honflyer
Hi. Quick question, I am flying US operated by AA on March 30th. I am Star Alliance Gold. Will I get any benefits? Need to check one bag.
Thanks
Navid
Since the flight is AA operated, unfortunately not.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:46 pm

Sure? Even though I have a US ticket? US hotline is telling me I will have status benefits.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Sure? Even though I have a US ticket? US hotline is telling me I will have status benefits.
But you're not flying on US. You're flying on AA.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Thanks
Navid
Is your status on US? Then, yes, you'll get reciprocal benefits as described in many places in this forum.

Is your *G status from another airline (UA, LH, etc.)? Then, officially no, you don't get any *A benefits because your flight is operated by AA, a OW carrier. But I could imagine this being a YMMV situation for the next week or so.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
Except for very rare circumstances, I haven't had to worry about a choice or preferred seat on the day I flew.
I was flying a direct from SAN to DCA and there were only choice seats and 37-toilet left for choice. Top tiers shouldn't have to pay for any coach seats - I know it sounds spoiled but there should be some loyalty. I dump enough money into the airline. I am no where near rich but I would have even paid for a first seat but it was sold out by the time I got the ticket. I understand if I buy a ticket 6 months out but when a lot of mine are last minute they aren't many choices.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
I'm sure the answer to the question I'm about to ask is in this thread, but i've tried searching and all the answers are from 12/2013 which should be outdated.

Background - I'm US CP, and may be forced to fly AA metal out of DCA now that I'll be traveling to the midwest for work. Looking online to buy a ticket on AA metal from the US website, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to select seats on any of the AA flights. The US website just tells me I need to create an AA account and then select seats on the AA site.

Questions - Is there anything special I need to be sure to do when creating my AA profile to get access to AA MCE or Preferred seats? Do I even need to create a profile to select seats, can I just call the US CP line and have them book my seats on all my flights now?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Top tiers shouldn't have to pay for any coach seats - I know it sounds spoiled but there should be some loyalty.
Keep your fingers crossed that DP doesn't carry that over to the combined airline. Frankly, US' preferred/choice/standard coach never made sense to me since they're all the same seats except for where they're located in the cabin.

The work-around for US elites is to wait for the upgrade windows to start opening and grab either a preferred or exit row seat when they open up because the previous occupant got upgraded (assuming the elite doesn't get upgraded). Not sure how, or even if, that would work for you booking a day or two prior to departure.

Jim
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Keep your fingers crossed that DP doesn't carry that over to the combined airline. Frankly, US' preferred/choice/standard coach never made sense to me since they're all the same seats except for where they're located in the cabin.

The work-around for US elites is to wait for the upgrade windows to start opening and grab either a preferred or exit row seat when they open up because the previous occupant got upgraded (assuming the elite doesn't get upgraded). Not sure how, or even if, that would work for you booking a day or two prior to departure.

Jim
It certainly didn't. First was sold out. It was either pay an extra 89 dollars for an aisle seat or take a middle seat. Took a middle seat. They don't even offer you a free snack. They wouldn't even hang my suit on the bulkhead when I asked (I was flying last minute to a funeral!). She told me I had to "stuff it" in an overhead bin. Very bad experience with surly FAs.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I actually don't think the Choice/Preferred seating matter is going to be an issue once MCE is added to the US fleet. Elites (50K and up) will get access to those at the time of purchase. I expect the current US process to go away; and I think the term "choice" interferes with the choice/choice plus ticket supplements at AA. Moreover, AA would be the only one of the Big Three which charges elites to reserve a seat assignment.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
It was either pay an extra 89 dollars for an aisle seat or take a middle seat. Took a middle seat.
Same for US elites - can change to a preferred/exit seat if one opens up as upgrades clear but if FC was full there would be no elites upgrading after you bought your ticket.

They don't even offer you a free snack. They wouldn't even hang my suit on the bulkhead when I asked (I was flying last minute to a funeral!).
Standard US - no free snack for elites in coach, no hanging jackets (that's for FC passengers).

IOW, the standard US elite treatment if in your position.

Jim
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by robbierob03
Background - I'm US CP, and may be forced to fly AA metal out of DCA now that I'll be traveling to the midwest for work. Looking online to buy a ticket on AA metal from the US website, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to select seats on any of the AA flights. The US website just tells me I need to create an AA account and then select seats on the AA site.
Why not just book the tickets on the AA site, and enter your US number? There is no advantage to buying them on the US site.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by dtremit
Why not just book the tickets on the AA site, and enter your US number? There is no advantage to buying them on the US site.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. The simple reason is just because I don't have anything set up for the AA site, and just didn't want to make an account before the US/AA conversion happened. Honestly I figured it would be less chance for problems if they didn't have to match up two profiles.

But if I need to create an AA account anyway - might as well open one of the AA cards to for the additional points!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I just experienced this as well... US-coded, AA-operated flights. 2 calls to the EXP line and I got the same info both times - no upgrades at all, not even at the airport.

Is this right???
Just as a follow up to this, I am currently sitting on the flight in question in F

Agent at checkin was able to add me to upgrade list with no issue and I was # 1 with 7 seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.