Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by scholity
I've followed this thread from the beginning and thought I would add some well-deserved positive comments as a US CP flying on AA out of ORD for the past couple of months (and ticketing on AA stock, avoiding code shares):

1 - No upgrade - OK for now, our time will come. I understood that I would not have this benefit when I chose to book on AA. However, MCE is most definitely a fine product, something US does not even offer.
2 - The service on each flight segment has been fantastic. What a great experience as compared to my many US flights where it was just OK.
3 - Non-stop now out of ORD rather than cxn via PHX or CLT. What a pleasure.
4 - Access to the Admirals Club in ORD - one step up IMHO then the UA club.
5 - Fares on AA are now (last couple of months) almost always lower, significantly so, than same market when priced on US.
6 - Yes, one does have to jump through a couple of hoops to get one's CP number in an AA record. Have the process down now - call CP desk, ask to be transfered to EXP desk, in 30 seconds have EXP rep on the line, 3 minutes later done.
7 - Yes, EXP does not often print on BP. Priority Access most of the time. Just have CP in hand when boarding with EXPs. A couple of times I was almost denied early boarding since BP seems to rule, just returned a smile with another flash of the CP card and problem solved.
8 - As for the free snack/drink benefit, while I have rarely been proactively offered, I have almost always been granted the benefit when asked with a smile and a flash of my CP card. Those times I was denied I took it in stride and as other posters have commented I was no worse off than when flying in coach on good old US.
9 - For now I'm sold on AA and reluctantly minimizing travel on US. Just treated myself to FC via a revenue ticket (imagine that) which was also offered at a very competitive fare (only $300 RT above current discounted Y in that market). I like everything I see and will wait patiently for the benefits to be integrated as well as the cultures.
10 - No one has bothered to ask whether US miles earned on AA operated segments count towards one's MM status and also the rolling 12-month window to break CP ties for upgrades. I asked this of US a couple of weeks ago and have not yet heard back. Will post info as soon as I do.

Thanks for all of your very valuable input to-date - this is an incredible exchange of information.

+1 to almost every point you made here (I fly out of IAD so can't comment on your ORD points). The only downer right now is the lack of any Admirals or US club in IAD.

I have had 100% success in getting snack/drink on AA flights without having to ask.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by digiscum
I have the same situation on a trip 2 weeks ago (eventually the flight was canceled) and on an upcoming trip (haven't flown yet). The upgrade checkbox is certainly not there when I look at the itinerary on aa.com, even though it shows my AA EXPnumber on it. In fact the trip doesn't even show up under My Trips by default (I have to search using the AA record locator found on USAirways).

A week ago when I called up the EXP phone, she said she couldn't request for an upgrade on this.

I haven't tried it at the gate though...
This is what I consider total crap:

Book a US ticket fully operated by AA. All benefits of being AA elite are listed, but I still can't request an upgrade. What gives?

EDIT: Add it to the "least substantive things" list if you feel it's appropriate.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by gradboozer

Book a US ticket fully operated by AA. All benefits of being AA elite are listed, but I still can't request an upgrade. What gives?

EDIT: Add it to the "least substantive things" list if you feel it's appropriate.
There are no reciprocal upgrades at this point. You may get upgraded if you talk to the GA. It doesn't make sense, but it has always been this way since day 1. I am sure they will let us know when this is not the case anymore.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by gradboozer

Why does this keep coming up? For the time being it's clear that if you want your AA elite benefits like upgrades then book the ticket on AA, not as a US codeshare.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by mbece
CP's show as EXPs on the manifest so we do get asked f we want the snack and drink (I took 12 legs in AA the past three weeks and always got it).
My experience as a CP flying AA has been 50/50 on this benefit.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Superguy
And I've flown new planes on US too, so what's your point? It would be like me saying that AA's entire fleet sucks based on flights on the S80. You would be quick to point out those new planes, and rightfully so. There may be some Airbusses out there older than the others (and again, still not as old as the S80s :P) and a bit worse for the wear, but that doesn't mean the entire fleet's crap.

There are plenty of things that each do well that the other doesn't. I'm not naive to think that EVERYTHING US does is better than AA, nor am I foolish and enough to think that AA can offer nothing to US. Are there spots where one's weaker than the other? Absolutely. Such arrogance that one is clearly better than the other is what got UA into its mess by doing everything the CO way.

I really hope Dougie's not that dumb.
I hope so too. AA has a more public plan for retiring the MD 80s and the dinosaur 762s with 321Ts and 738s. Internationally, they are renovating the 763s and adding 777-300s. During BK, Mr. Horton was front and center in ads and on TV spots talking about all the new equipment AA was going to have over the next few years. What about US? You wouldn't know because I can't remember the last time I saw a US TV commercial or an advertisement. Another example. I looked for a milesaver award flight on JFK-GRU on AA and was only offered a bunch of US flights with the limited recline 321 metal. No directs on AA and no connects thru MIA or DFW. Nada. So is that going to typical of what US has to offer AA?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Am I correct in saying that if I am a US CP and I book on US Metal but the ticket is sold by AA that I will not properly get considered for the upgrade 7 days out by the auto upgrade system and that my only chance for the upgrade is at T-24 using OLCI?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Superguy
They've been constantly getting news planes, still have 17 321s on order, 3 more 330s, and 22 350s when Airbus finally starts to ship them. The new planes might not be as obvious because US's aren't as ancient as AA's. @:-)

And wow, I didn't know that the CEO being in everyone's face was a requirement for being involved. Look how much DL's Richard Anderson and UA's Jeff Smisek are in front of the camera and see how well they're liked by their customers.

You bag on international flights being added out of PHL, but where else is US going to add them, besides CLT? PHL's their primary international hub. They already cover most of Europe, and arguably better than AA does (outside of LHR). I wouldn't expect US to add anything Asia bound until the 350s come online. So what earthshaking routes are you expecting?

I don't know that anyone would have called this a merger of equals. US was a much smaller airline than AA.

I think you have unrealistic expectations of what US is and what it's doing.
My point was that based on my six recent segments, I don't like what US has to offer. Although my experience is limited, it just feels like US is run like a super regional. I have very realistic expectations that the US team doesn't have the mojo to run the merged AA like the largest airline in the world should be run. Others may love it, but I've seen more comments similar to mine than contradicting it. I'm not personally attacking your airline. You most likely have as much enthusiasm for US as I have for AA. I just want it to stay like AA and not drift to US. It's merely my opinion.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by beofotch
Am I correct in saying that if I am a US CP and I book on US Metal but the ticket is sold by AA that I will not properly get considered for the upgrade 7 days out by the auto upgrade system and that my only chance for the upgrade is at T-24 using OLCI?
Yes.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by travel4b
Why does this keep coming up? For the time being it's clear that if you want your AA elite benefits like upgrades then book the ticket on AA, not as a US codeshare.
It came up because unfortunately my corporate travel desk is manned by monkeys with a crack addiction.

C'est la vie.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by george 3
I hope so too. AA has a more public plan for retiring the MD 80s and the dinosaur 762s with 321Ts and 738s. Internationally, they are renovating the 763s and adding 777-300s. During BK, Mr. Horton was front and center in ads and on TV spots talking about all the new equipment AA was going to have over the next few years. What about US? You wouldn't know because I can't remember the last time I saw a US TV commercial or an advertisement. Another example. I looked for a milesaver award flight on JFK-GRU on AA and was only offered a bunch of US flights with the limited recline 321 metal. No directs on AA and no connects thru MIA or DFW. Nada. So is that going to typical of what US has to offer AA?
This whole fleet renewal discussion just seems dumb. Everything you're saying about "AA" decisions (retiring MD80s, refurbishing 763s, etc) are things that are now fully in the hands of the new management team. You make it sound like there's still an AA team that's actively and publicly upgrading the fleet, while there's a separate US team that's doing the opposite - which definitely isn't the case. I've seen several articles in the past couple weeks where Scott Kirby has talked about the "ancient" state of the fleet and how modernizing it is a top priority.

Also, are you saying that you were offered a 321 all the way to GRU? I don't think that's what you meant, but that's how it reads.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Excuse me for asking an obvious question. AA Gold members are allowed two pieces of baggage on US TATL flights, right? One complimentary for everyone and one additional, the price of which is waived because of the status. How about non-elite members travelling on the same PNR? Thank you.

Last edited by Alec84; Mar 12, 2014 at 5:39 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
This whole fleet renewal discussion just seems dumb. Everything you're saying about "AA" decisions (retiring MD80s, refurbishing 763s, etc) are things that are now fully in the hands of the new management team. You make it sound like there's still an AA team that's actively and publicly upgrading the fleet, while there's a separate US team that's doing the opposite - which definitely isn't the case. I've seen several articles in the past couple weeks where Scott Kirby has talked about the "ancient" state of the fleet and how modernizing it is a top priority.

Also, are you saying that you were offered a 321 all the way to GRU? I don't think that's what you meant, but that's how it reads.
+1

this discussion isn't really relevant in a world where AA management is functionally US management.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by george 3
My point was that based on my six recent segments, I don't like what US has to offer. Although my experience is limited, it just feels like US is run like a super regional. I have very realistic expectations that the US team doesn't have the mojo to run the merged AA like the largest airline in the world should be run. Others may love it, but I've seen more comments similar to mine than contradicting it. I'm not personally attacking your airline. You most likely have as much enthusiasm for US as I have for AA. I just want it to stay like AA and not drift to US. It's merely my opinion.
what on earth does this mean? did you forget the last AA team filed for chapter 11? @:-)

doug parker has a ton of experience at both aa, then america west, then us. i'm sure he has sufficient 'mojo' to run the merged airline at least as well as his predecessors.

in a broader sense, what's with this "drift to US" argument? sure, the US product is more LCC but as mentioned upthread:

(1) US has an (incredibly) new fleet
(2) they are consistently on-time
(3) the FAs are fantastic IME
(4) they are great during IRROPS
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Originally Posted by lkar
Is there an advantage to doing it this way? AA.com lets me enter it when I purchase, and it seems to recognize my status by letting me pick MCE. If I book through a TA, I just leave it blank then go into my record on AA.com and add it.
Yes - two of them. 1) If I override my Aadvantage number on the web site with my US DM number, I receive a popup warning and have to manually enter all passenger details (a bit painful). 2) If EXP desk updates my record with US DM number, something they are doing behind the scenes is often resulting in EXP printed on my BP. If I enter my number myself as in (1) above, I never see EXP printed. Sames some confusion at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.